Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it harder to get work on an SIR Visa as a Temporary Resident?

Is it harder to get work on an SIR Visa as a Temporary Resident?

Old Apr 1st 2006, 10:32 am
Yeah!! I Know...

mikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nice
Default Is it harder to get work on an SIR Visa as a Temporary Resident?

Hi

I'm new to this site so I'll say a huge Hello to everyone!! It's a great source of information, and I haven't even scratched the surface of reading everything yet.

Here's my question....

I am currently serving in the RAF as an Aircraft Technician (11 Years) and I'm wondering if any of you can tell me what my chances of finding an Aircraft engineering job in Oz are as a possible temporary resident?

Most of the jobs I've seen on the employment sites require permanent residency and in some cases even citizenship. So from the outside looking in it seems to me that it will be very difficult to secure employment on an SIR type visa. I am hoping to be able to afford to go as a PR but it requires me to raise $100,000 to boost my points to 120. In the event that I don't manage to raise the money the SIR visa will be my only route I think.

Any comments, gratefully received.

Cheers

Mikey
Old Apr 1st 2006, 10:38 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it harder to get work on an SIR Visa as a Temporary Resident?

Originally Posted by mikey73

I am currently serving in the RAF as an Aircraft Technician (11 Years) and I'm wondering if any of you can tell me what my chances of finding an Aircraft engineering job in Oz are as a possible temporary resident?

Most of the jobs I've seen on the employment sites require permanent residency and in some cases even citizenship. So from the outside looking in it seems to me that it will be very difficult to secure employment on an SIR type visa. I am hoping to be able to afford to go as a PR but it requires me to raise $100,000 to boost my points to 120. In the event that I don't manage to raise the money the SIR visa will be my only route I think.
With a SIR visa you have full work rights as far as DIMA are concerned, however:

- you are prevented from living/working in the areas where most of the jobs are (maybe different for some trades/professions); and
- some employers are reluctant to hire people who do not have permanent status as they are afraid they might not be able to keep that person long term. Many employers do not understand the nuances of different temporary visas.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 2:44 pm
Yeah!! I Know...

mikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nice

Hi

Thanks JAJ for the info, very useful to know.

I would welcome any comments from others who have successfully entered Oz on a SIR visa and possibly hear their experiences.

Cheers

Mikey
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 11:08 am
Yeah!! I Know...

Bump!!
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 2:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, c'mon give us a chance, its a weekend you know! The forums are always quieter at the weekend, especially in Aus, which is where most of the answers for this type of post will come from. Give people a chance to get to work Monday morning and it will be tracked down by anyone who has an answer, never fear.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Bump!!
What's the yawn smiley all about, are you tired or bored?
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 6:29 pm
Yeah!! I Know...

Sorry guys, didn't mean for anyone to take offence.

I'm grateful for any replies, but as most of you know when you're excited about something as big as moving to another country, you can't help being a little impatient. I was just worried that the thread would get lost down the list.

Promise I won't do it again.

It just goes to show how good Oz must be though. You guys are obviously all out and about over the weekend enjoying the weather in the great outdoors. Can't wait to be there with you, along with my family.

Once again....... Sorry!!!

Mikey
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry guys, didn't mean for anyone to take offence.

I'm grateful for any replies, but as most of you know when you're excited about something as big as moving to another country, you can't help being a little impatient. I was just worried that the thread would get lost down the list.

Promise I won't do it again.

It just goes to show how good Oz must be though. You guys are obviously all out and about over the weekend enjoying the weather in the great outdoors. Can't wait to be there with you, along with my family.

Once again....... Sorry!!!

Mikey
Hey no worries, they'll be loads of people who'll try and answer your questions. Just remember the Aussies are 9 or 10 hours ahead so when you post they'll probably be in bed. (they all go to bed at 9:30pm you know)
Good luck and I'm sure everything will be fine for you
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 7:29 pm
Yeah!! I Know...

Cheers Kevin

Thanks for your support

Mikey
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

nickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the rough

Cheers Kevin

Thanks for your support

Mikey
Hi Mikey,
I was a aifcraft engineer in the AirForce for 25 years.
We came out here in Feb 05 on SIR and I applied for a few jobs at the Airport and was over qualified(so they told me) for most of them although I did get an offer of one in the training department. However I had already accepted a job for another company as a training consultant.
I was at Cosford (teaching) for 6 years before we came out here, hence thats why I looked for training jobs.
Yes to work for BAE systems you have to be a citizen so that avenue is closed unfortunatly. Keep looking I am sure you will find something try career one there are quite a few jobs advertized on there.
Where abouts in Oz do you want to go?
all the best
Nick
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 10:18 am
Yeah!! I Know...

Originally Posted by nickos12
Hi Mikey,
I was a aifcraft engineer in the AirForce for 25 years.
We came out here in Feb 05 on SIR and I applied for a few jobs at the Airport and was over qualified(so they told me) for most of them although I did get an offer of one in the training department. However I had already accepted a job for another company as a training consultant.
I was at Cosford (teaching) for 6 years before we came out here, hence thats why I looked for training jobs.
Yes to work for BAE systems you have to be a citizen so that avenue is closed unfortunatly. Keep looking I am sure you will find something try career one there are quite a few jobs advertized on there.
Where abouts in Oz do you want to go?
all the best
Nick
Looking to move to Melbourne if I get PR or maybe Adelaide on SIR

Cheers

Mikey
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

BettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura about
Wink Re: Is it harder to get work on an SIR Visa as a Temporary Resident?

Looking to move to Melbourne if I get PR or maybe Adelaide on SIR

Cheers

Mikey
Hi
we're here on SIR visa. Hubby hadjob to come to - computers. I found job in local govt within two mths of looking. We're in QLD. If you try hard enough you'll get something, it may not be qite the same as you had in UK, but it'll be a start. It's always easier to get work when you're in a job. Best of luck.

bb
Old Apr 4th 2006, 8:40 am
Yeah!! I Know...

Originally Posted by BettyBoop
Hi
we're here on SIR visa. Hubby hadjob to come to - computers. I found job in local govt within two mths of looking. We're in QLD. If you try hard enough you'll get something, it may not be qite the same as you had in UK, but it'll be a start. It's always easier to get work when you're in a job. Best of luck.

bb
Thanks Betty!!

Mikey