Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it hard to rent a property?

Is it hard to rent a property?

Old Mar 21st 2007, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

Gough-Ray's is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it hard to rent a property?

Me and the hubby are moving to Aus in May, starting in Sydney then having a look at Brisbane. I've read on one of the sites (although for the life of me I can't find it again now!) that it is done on a points system and if you take a 'credit reference' with you, that will assist in you qualifying to rent a property.

I've asked two banks that I deal with and they both say the same - it has to be applied for in writing by the person requiring the reference and this can't be issued to the customer. I very much doubt Mr Estate Agent in Aus will write to my bank asking for a reference and wait 3 weeks for a reply.......

Can anyone shed any light on this subject. Any advice greatfully received!

Thanks
Lynsey
Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

mrs_chrispy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Is it hard to rent a property?

Originally Posted by Gough-Ray's
Me and the hubby are moving to Aus in May, starting in Sydney then having a look at Brisbane. I've read on one of the sites (although for the life of me I can't find it again now!) that it is done on a points system and if you take a 'credit reference' with you, that will assist in you qualifying to rent a property.

I've asked two banks that I deal with and they both say the same - it has to be applied for in writing by the person requiring the reference and this can't be issued to the customer. I very much doubt Mr Estate Agent in Aus will write to my bank asking for a reference and wait 3 weeks for a reply.......

Can anyone shed any light on this subject. Any advice greatfully received!

Thanks
Lynsey
Hi Lynsey

We're in the same position as you - moving to Perth in May. We were planning on taking three months worth of bills showing payments from a number of utilities (gas, electricity) and mortgage company to show we've always paid on time. We also have a character/payment reference from a very old landlord (around 6 years ago) plus a character reference from our boss (whose place we've stayed at in Aus a few times). Additionally we have asked our estate agent who is selling our house here in the UK to provide a letter to state that our house was in very good condition at the time of sale. We're hoping that the combination of these things along with a contract of employment will help in renting a place.

Just a few ideas anyway! Good luck with your move
Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:54 pm
SharonC

sharon_gareth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it hard to rent a property?

Not sure on the East Coast but here in Perth property rental is in short supply. We are beginning to see home opens for property rentals the demand is that high.

I would advise that you look at the www.realestate.com.au and the www.reiwa.com.au websites now and start to contact the agents advertising property for rent in the areas you are looking to rent in. Ask them what information they need from you as a minimum and also what additional information is likely to give you an advantage over other renters.

You may also want to consider approaching some short term furnished rentals/apartments and see if you can negotiate a suitable longer term deal.

It may be that you will be looking to purchase a property once you arrive so a slightly higher rental fee over a shorter period may be more preferable?

Good luck

Sharon
www.immigrate-to-a-new-life-in-perth.com