Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it hard to get work over 45 in Melbourne?

Is it hard to get work over 45 in Melbourne?

Old Jul 4th 2006, 9:04 am
Just Joined

Robbie Boy has a spectacular aura aboutRobbie Boy has a spectacular aura aboutRobbie Boy has a spectacular aura about
Default Is it hard to get work over 45 in Melbourne?

We have had our visa for 2 1/2 years but due to various problems we are only now able to make the move to Melbourne on October.
By the time we arrive I will be 47 and my wife 51 years old. Will it be difficult to find employment at our age?
This is our main concern as it is more difficult in the UK once you get to 40.
We are not too choosy as to the sort of jobs we take- hopefully I will be able to find employment in my occupation of Graphic Pre-press trades- but we will take any full time job to start with.
If anybody else has moved there at a similar age how easy did you find it?
Old Jul 4th 2006, 9:08 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it hard to get work over 45 in Melbourne?

Originally Posted by Robbie Boy
We have had our visa for 2 1/2 years but due to various problems we are only now able to make the move to Melbourne on October.
By the time we arrive I will be 47 and my wife 51 years old. Will it be difficult to find employment at our age?
We are not too choosy as to the sort of jobs we take- hopefully I will be able to find employment in my occupation of Graphic Pre-press trades- but we will take any full time job to start with.
Dont know to you try mate = guess you might come across some but if you are keen to work that also comes across in the interview.

Good luck
Old Jul 4th 2006, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it hard to get work over 45 in Melbourne?

Originally Posted by Robbie Boy

Hi
I turned 45 a few months after coming over and Like the other poster said I think a lot of it has to do with attitude not age. I got a job in 2 weeks doing the same as I was doing in the UK. Just be prepared for them to dismiss your UK experience, just try to express how good you are at your job I know that not everybody can do this but I found it helped.

Good luck

John