Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hard Finding Work On WHV !

Hard Finding Work On WHV !

Old Nov 30th 2013, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

shycouple2009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hard Finding Work On WHV !

Quite simply. Any ideas on finding a job while on a WHV.

My daughters boyfriend has a WHV and has applied for over 40 jobs in and around the Sunshine Coast.
He is a qualified carpenter but is willing to do ANYTHING.

My Daughter has a permanent visa and found work almost immediately so they are beginning to think the restrictions applied to the WHV are putting off potential employers.

Any ideas as he is desperate to find work........
Or even better "Know of any vacancies going?"

Many Thanks.
Old Nov 30th 2013, 10:24 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hard Finding Work On WHV !

Originally Posted by shycouple2009
Quite simply. Any ideas on finding a job while on a WHV.

My daughters boyfriend has a WHV and has applied for over 40 jobs in and around the Sunshine Coast.
He is a qualified carpenter but is willing to do ANYTHING.

My Daughter has a permanent visa and found work almost immediately so they are beginning to think the restrictions applied to the WHV are putting off potential employers.

Any ideas as he is desperate to find work........
Or even better "Know of any vacancies going?"

Many Thanks.
Does he have Australian qualifications? Don't want to be negative but at this time of year, without Aussie qualifications, on the Sunny Coast, I'd say it's going to be nigh on impossible to find carpentery work. Your daughter was very lucky to get work imo. If she didn't have that job I'd suggest heading down to Sydney or Melbourne and looking there.

Don't think the WHV is the stumbling point to be honest. If the Sunny Coast is anything like the Gold Coast, jobs of are bloody hard to find. I've been out of work for over two years and my 18 year old daughter still hasn't found work since graduating school last November. Good luck to them though.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

shycouple2009 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Does he have Australian qualifications? Don't want to be negative but at this time of year, without Aussie qualifications, on the Sunny Coast, I'd say it's going to be nigh on impossible to find carpentery work. Your daughter was very lucky to get work imo. If she didn't have that job I'd suggest heading down to Sydney or Melbourne and looking there.

Don't think the WHV is the stumbling point to be honest. If the Sunny Coast is anything like the Gold Coast, jobs of are bloody hard to find. I've been out of work for over two years and my 18 year old daughter still hasn't found work since graduating school last November. Good luck to them though.

My Daughter did a lot of "Leg" work and found an employer who needed her.......She works in retail on the management side.
The poor lad cannot find work,even seasonal work!!
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

What locations is he prepared to work in?

Does he have expectations for earnings/type of work?

How is he searching for jobs? Agencies? Paper ads?

As others have said - some areas have no jobs going, at all so if there's only a couple of positions and one person is here "on holiday" and the other is a permanent resident, as an employers, what would you chose? (That's not my wording but I know a lot of employers who have been let down when using WHV labour).

Gumtree is an excellent source. If he's prepared to travel, look at work on stations, carpentry will be handy but will not necessarily open many doors as it's such a specific trade.

With it being summer, harvesting is kicking into full swing in many areas. There's plenty of work to be had in agricultural areas, again look on Gumtree. It's how we sourced all our labour.

However he'll need to be very open minded, hard working and understand that this is Australia, it's hot and dusty. In return he'll be rewarded by a regular pay packet, a roof over his head, food in his belly (sometimes as part of his pay depending on the area). Our backpackers worked their socks off but loved it - approx 25% are still in Australia as 457 workers now!
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 4:56 am
Just Joined

Belle83 is just really niceBelle83 is just really niceBelle83 is just really niceBelle83 is just really niceBelle83 is just really niceBelle83 is just really niceBelle83 is just really niceBelle83 is just really nice

Would he possibly look at Brisbane? North areas (Zilmere, Chermside, Brendale) there are a few areas around there with new estates. I had heaps of issues myself when I lived on the Gold Coast so moved to Brisbane.