hard drives

Old Nov 24th 2003, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

najo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question hard drives

Hello everybody !

My computer runs at 120 V, 50 Hz (Canada). I will be probably not able to run this clunker in Aussi. Or can I ?
If I can't, I will bring only my hard drives and install them in a new computer in Aussi. This computer would run at 220 V, 60 Hz.
Is this feasible ?

Najo
Old Nov 24th 2003, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

AussieinLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

You need something that can take 240 V, 50Hz. Some older PCs have a little setting on the back of the power supply that flicks between the two. Might be inside the case. If you really love the thing, take it and buy a new power supply. They're all the same once the juice gets converted and sent to the mother board as far as I know.
Old Nov 24th 2003, 4:11 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Re: hard drives

Hi najo,
I think the bits inside the PC all run on the same voltage, and often use the same connectors, so you could just take the drive.

You could always just buy a new power supply for the PC and fit that.

Bye
Markeh
Old Nov 24th 2003, 7:21 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Markeh is right. A lot of power supplies have a red switch that converts it to 240V/60Hz so look on the back of your PC.

For prices try www.ht.com.au for a rough guide,
Old Nov 25th 2003, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Some that don't have a red switch automatically sense whether they are on 240/110V. You may have to unscrew the power supply box to check the label.

A new power supply is only a few quid though.

Swapping it over is very straight forward.