Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Happy slapping has arrived in Australia

Happy slapping has arrived in Australia

Old Jun 18th 2005, 10:18 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Happy slapping has arrived in Australia

This will no doubt annoy some of you but it looks like 'happy slapping' has reached Australia:

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...55E421,00.html

G
Old Jun 18th 2005, 10:21 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Happy slapping has arrived in Australia

Originally Posted by Grayling
This will no doubt annoy some of you but it looks like 'happy slapping' has reached Australia:

G
Oh sh*t I often wonder that these things being reported in the media then puts ideas into kids' heads that wouldn't otherwise have been there
Old Jun 18th 2005, 10:26 am
ABCDiamond

G
I think it will annoy everyone, I can't imagine anyone being happy that it has spread so fast.

As Anne4Terry says, it's probably the reporting in the media that has spread it.

Old Jun 18th 2005, 10:27 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
Oh sh*t I often wonder that these things being reported in the media then puts ideas into kids' heads that wouldn't otherwise have been there
I think you are right.

You can not stop these things when they become fashion....until the next thing comes along

G
Old Jun 18th 2005, 10:29 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I think it will annoy everyone, I can't imagine anyone being happy that it has spread so fast.

As Anne4Terry says, it's probably the reporting in the media that has spread it.
One of the downsides of modern technology

These things then build up a momentum of their own :scared:

G
Old Jun 18th 2005, 10:38 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely agree the modern 24 hour media has a lot to answer for with cases like this.

It will be interesting to see how it is dealt with over here.

I would say I think the average Aussie adult would be much more likely to retaliate than in the UK. And again will be interesting to see the reaction of passersby in an instance of this.

I think I'm going to buy a couple of hundred square kilometres up in the NT put a bloody big fence round it and put up a sign saying 'Get orf moi laaaaannnnnd!'
Old Jun 18th 2005, 10:38 am

One of the downsides of modern technology

These things then build up a momentum of their own :scared:

G
It's like when you hear statistics that crime is more prevalent now, more rapes, more child abduction, "it wasn't like that in my day", etc etc. the fact is just that it is reported much more which then in turn I guess gives people ideas.

We often watch news items where they show drugs being used and HOW to use them. I never had a clue until I actually saw it on the news. Whilst I agree that you can't bury your head in the sand and you need to be informed, I also think that some information is too accessible to children of a vulnerable age.

I've probably just put myself up for a right bashing now

Anne
Old Jun 18th 2005, 10:41 am
ABCDiamond

Anne
Only if you publicise exactly how to bash you

I agree totally.

Old Jun 18th 2005, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

I agree totally.
Why thank you. I take that as a real compliment from an intellect like yourself
Old Jun 18th 2005, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

It's like when you hear statistics that crime is more prevalent now, more rapes, more child abduction, "it wasn't like that in my day", etc etc. the fact is just that it is reported much more which then in turn I guess gives people ideas.

We often watch news items where they show drugs being used and HOW to use them. I never had a clue until I actually saw it on the news. Whilst I agree that you can't bury your head in the sand and you need to be informed, I also think that some information is too accessible to children of a vulnerable age.

Anne
Some of these new trends are actually just urban myths. I'm not saying this Happy Slapping is, but some trends are just made up, and then promulgated by the media, because its a good 'technology' story.

There was one recently about a new trend for people using bluetooth or wireless or something for chatting up others on the trains and tube in London.

As it turns out, no-one could actually track down anyone who had done it. So this new 'craze' was just something the media liked.

JTL
Old Jun 18th 2005, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

G
didn't think it would take long on a more concerning note, 4 teenagers (aged 14) have been arrested for raping an 11 yr old at school - the evidence was captured on one of the teens phone. Seems the 'happy slapping' has progressed into more sinister things.
Old Jun 18th 2005, 1:03 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

G
I was amazed to read this:

'Happy slappers in Britain approach commuters on trains and slap or bash them while friends film the attack with their phones.'

That proves it is an 'urban myth'. Anyone who has actually commuted on a UK train will know that people are hemmed in like sardines, & there's simply no room to bash anyone, let alone hold a phone up & record the evidence.....

Anya.
Old Jun 18th 2005, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
Definitely agree the modern 24 hour media has a lot to answer for with cases like this.

It will be interesting to see how it is dealt with over here.

I would say I think the average Aussie adult would be much more likely to retaliate than in the UK. And again will be interesting to see the reaction of passersby in an instance of this.

I think I'm going to buy a couple of hundred square kilometres up in the NT put a bloody big fence round it and put up a sign saying 'Get orf moi laaaaannnnnd!'
I agree with everyone on both threads that this is a sickening and very disturbing trend. Before we get too self-righteous, though, I have to say many of us adults, for years, have enjoyed watching those TV progs where people are set up for some sort of humiliation and filmed, then it's broadcast for all to see on national TV - I'm thinking of Candid Camera and The Jamie Kennedy Experience. Whilst they are practical jokes and everyone ends up laughing I've often wondered how many victims have spat the dummy and refused to allow broadcasting or have just gone along with the joke to save face whilst writhing with humiliation inside. I'm not saying this is as harmful/cruel/criminal as happy slapping where there is no oppportunity for the victim to relent/consent, nor am I saying that happy slapping is harmless fun, but I wonder how much the message has been given to these youngsters that filming humiliation is OK and they've just taken in a few steps further?
Old Jun 18th 2005, 5:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TopCat3
I agree with everyone on both threads that this is a sickening and very disturbing trend. Before we get too self-righteous, though, I have to say many of us adults, for years, have enjoyed watching those TV progs where people are set up for some sort of humiliation and filmed, then it's broadcast for all to see on national TV - I'm thinking of Candid Camera and The Jamie Kennedy Experience. Whilst they are practical jokes and everyone ends up laughing I've often wondered how many victims have spat the dummy and refused to allow broadcasting or have just gone along with the joke to save face whilst writhing with humiliation inside. I'm not saying this is as harmful/cruel/criminal as happy slapping where there is no oppportunity for the victim to relent/consent, nor am I saying that happy slapping is harmless fun, but I wonder how much the message has been given to these youngsters that filming humiliation is OK and they've just taken in a few steps further?
Definitely agree on this one - I have always found these programmes an annoyance, but in recent years they gave got worse, as people seem to take delight in laughing at other people suffering pain and/or humiliation. Where's the fun in that?And then you get all the home video shows - wonder how many people have suddenly seen themselves on TV in an embarrassing or humiliating situation?
Trouble is, because these shows are all so widespread now, the antics on them are seen as "acceptable", and anyone not participating in the laughter and ridicule is viewed with suspicion.
Old Jun 18th 2005, 6:58 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by anya4oz
I was amazed to read this:

'Happy slappers in Britain approach commuters on trains and slap or bash them while friends film the attack with their phones.'

That proves it is an 'urban myth'. Anyone who has actually commuted on a UK train will know that people are hemmed in like sardines, & there's simply no room to bash anyone, let alone hold a phone up & record the evidence.....

Anya.
A couple of kids dead from the beatings,
smelly little brainless F******* thugs with cameras, it has taken over from "Rushing" on the commuter trains.
Funny thing is though how STUPID are these people? they provide a form of CC TV evidence against themselves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.