Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Happy pills - do they affect the medical checks?

Happy pills - do they affect the medical checks?

Old Mar 11th 2006, 1:49 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Happy pills - do they affect the medical checks?

Say you had to be prescribed something like anti-depressants, would this be noted on your medical checks that would be sent to Dimmia? if so, do they view this as a bit whatsit, or are you better off asking for the 'mothers little helpers' after the medical checks have been done? Here, it is likely the same doc who would prescribe the pills, would be the same doc who does the medicals.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 2:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Happy pills - do they affect the medical checks?

Originally Posted by Claire&Richard
Say you had to be prescribed something like anti-depressants, would this be noted on your medical checks that would be sent to Dimmia? if so, do they view this as a bit whatsit, or are you better off asking for the 'mothers little helpers' after the medical checks have been done? Here, it is likely the same doc who would prescribe the pills, would be the same doc who does the medicals.
I think - from memory - that you have to declare on the form what medication you are taking, and why.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 4:04 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

You are required to declare all medication that you are taking on your medical form, as I understand it, prescribed and otherwise. It will not necessarily count against you in the assessment - heaven knows, so many people take antidepressants nowadays, they must see it all the time.

I sincerely doubt that the doctor who prescribes medication would do the medicals - it would surely be a conflict of interest? Dedicated panel doctors, employed by the government, carry out the medical examinations. I think you can more or less pick and choose where you have them done, but not who does them.

HTH.

Sue
Old Mar 11th 2006, 5:13 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
You are required to declare all medication that you are taking on your medical form, as I understand it, prescribed and otherwise. It will not necessarily count against you in the assessment - heaven knows, so many people take antidepressants nowadays, they must see it all the time.

I sincerely doubt that the doctor who prescribes medication would do the medicals - it would surely be a conflict of interest? Dedicated panel doctors, employed by the government, carry out the medical examinations. I think you can more or less pick and choose where you have them done, but not who does them.

HTH.

Sue
The panel doctors don't act as gp's. I declared my amytriptiline, together with a letter from my gp as to why I was on them. Panel doctor wasn't concerned. No problem.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

lucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of light

I declared my anti-depressants on mine and doc wasn't worried at all. mine were for post natal depression and I was just off them at the medicals but I know from other posts on here that lots of people have worried about this and not had a problem.

My theory was delcare everything because I didn't want to get caught out on one thing I'd missed and then have them wonder what else I hadn't declared.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 12:53 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucy.summers
I declared my anti-depressants on mine and doc wasn't worried at all. mine were for post natal depression and I was just off them at the medicals but I know from other posts on here that lots of people have worried about this and not had a problem.

My theory was delcare everything because I didn't want to get caught out on one thing I'd missed and then have them wonder what else I hadn't declared.
Thanks everyone.
The reason I pointed out about the doctor being the same as the one doing the medical checks, is because in the country where I live there are only a certain few who speak English. The doctor I see, is one of the doctors qualified by Dimmia to do the medical checks.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

mvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bella Donna

Sue

"The panel doctors don't act as gp's."

In response to both of these posts - In the UK (and probably in most countries other than Australia - where HSA does them all) most (probably all) panel doctors are GPs!! They are not employed by the government to carry out medical examinations. They are approved by DIMA to carry out DIMA medicals (which visa applicants pay for of course) but they carry out normal UK NHS GP work.
So for some people their usual GP would also be their closest panel doctor. There is no conflict of interest here - GPs carry out medicals for their patients all the time!
Old Mar 15th 2006, 8:00 am
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mvt550

In response to both of these posts - In the UK (and probably in most countries other than Australia - where HSA does them all) most (probably all) panel doctors are GPs!! They are not employed by the government to carry out medical examinations. They are approved by DIMA to carry out DIMA medicals (which visa applicants pay for of course) but they carry out normal UK NHS GP work.
So for some people their usual GP would also be their closest panel doctor. There is no conflict of interest here - GPs carry out medicals for their patients all the time!
This was certainly the case here in the Netherlands. There are a group of 'nominated house doctors' which are the equiv of a GP. Of the 3 in Amsterdam, one just happened to be my old GP, but more from luck than judgement, and I did not go to him anyhow, as he was on holiday.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 9:29 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mvt550

True, they are only reporting their findings from a set criteria, They Don't have a say on who passes or not.