Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

happier stories?????

Wikiposts

happier stories?????

Old Aug 26th 2003, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ACE
I know what you mean Whisky,
We have been researching, planning, hoping and dreaming about Oz for the past three years then I found this forum and I reached the stage where I was thinking I don't want to go, how am I going to tell my husband I've changed my mind about emmigrating to Oz. So it is good to hear some good things about Perth.

We are heading out for a few weeks over christmas and the new year so hopefully we'll see the Perth we remember from previous visits and get excited again.

ACE

Hope you enjoy your visit over the Christmas period.
If we are out there and are set up with our Restaurant, come and have a meal with us. I will keep you posted as to our movements.

I have really enjoyed reading the posts on here the past couple of days. I am almost sure that I know the reason why too!!! Mentioning no names
Infact - you can all come
Whisky
Old Aug 26th 2003, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

delboy is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers sounds great
Old Aug 26th 2003, 9:25 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sandra
If you have a holiday booked for April - just an idea but why don't you apply for visas now - get them in short time (cause fast tracking might not last forever - look at IT). Use the April trip to validate and then you sit back knowing you have no rush on the rest of things? Cause after you validate you have up to five years to make the move. This way you know are in and there in no panic about making another validation trip while you wait for sale of house etc etc if that might be the issue then!

We did things an odd way cause of potential issues with getting in on medical, like left a house for a year (not rented as such). Came over on a temp visa and kept our fingers crossed for PR. Nothing like stress for making sure you have made the correct decision!

just an idea - best of luck

Hi Sandra,
Cheers for that! I would love to apply tomorrow, but the only thing stopping us is that we have vry little savings, and no house to sell! (thanks to his ex-wife!!) Dont you have to provide proof of the funds you have when submitting your visa application? I would hate to go through the process and then get refused on finances!! We decided to spend a couple of years saving, and
applying once we had double figures in the bank!
I also need to get back to nursing for a year to satisfy the work thing - Ive just had 3 years off with having twins...!
But thanks for the thought - I hadnt actually thought about doing that! Who knows, perhaps we will win the lottery tomorrow , its a 3 x rollover!!!

Sue (forever hopeful)

Last edited by tiredwithtwins; Aug 26th 2003 at 11:00 am.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:35 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by whisky
Hope you enjoy your visit over the Christmas period.
If we are out there and are set up with our Restaurant, come and have a meal with us. I will keep you posted as to our movements.

Whisky
That would be great, we have never been to Bunbury and i'd love to check it out if we have time.

We will spending 5 days in Malaysia then we will be in Perth from 15 Dec to the 4 Jan. Can't wait to do all the touristy things again (cruising the Swan down to freo and up to the vinyards, cycling round Rottness Island, breakfast at Hilarys, Barbecue at Kings Park, surfing at Scarborough Beach-hubby not me :scared I could go on but you know what I mean We also have a couple of appointments at schools to have a look around and put our eldest name down. Hubby will be visiting his firm's sister company and I will be checking out the Post Graduate courses at the various universities.

We have rented a beach house in Rockingham and hubby's aunt & uncle from Adelaide will be coming over to see the new baby and stay with us for a few days. We also hope to meet up with some of the people we have met here on the forum.

So as you can see we have got loads to look forward to.

God I'm feeling quite excited again

Nice one Delboy good thread
Kind Regards
ACE
Old Aug 26th 2003, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Originally posted by Kath
Went to my first Aussie rules footy game at the weekend. West Coast Eagles vs. Melbourne - the Eagles won!

I really enjoyed it, good atmosphere and great for the kids, no swearing, abuse etc. It's Winter here but during the interval the sun came out and I looked around soaking up all the atmosphere wondering what I'd be doing if I was back in the UK. Although I've been really homesick I was happy to be in Perth that day with my family.

Also, what a great stadium at Subiaco, Perth.
====

Hey Kath - hubby & son were there too!! Did ya see them?
I've been to a match too and agree that it's a great atmosphere
and a super treat for the kids
Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Hi, I sold my horse before moving out here 18months ago and wish I had brought her with me. I looked into shipping her out here and come up with a 6500 pound quote too. But thought it better to sell her as I didn't know what the horsey scene was like out here. As it happens, around sydney the horsey scene is really good. They are into eventing and dressage around here and there are many pony clubs and jumping clubs to join. And many good places to ride and keep horses. Anyway, I have since bought a horse here, a lovely ASH gelding as I too realised I just couldn't live without a horse. My daughter is getting right into riding too and luckily the horse I bought is suitable for her too. Next year we'll be doing pony clubbing!! Anyway, all the horses around here are kept out all year round and most have rugs on all the time too, even in the summer they have cotton sheets on, aparantly their coats can fade in the sun. The only dissapointment I have had is the choice of good quality tack. Its not cheap either. They are right into the wintec saddles here, so much so that the only GP saddle I could get for my horse was a wintec, its really nice though but they are the same price as in the UK (converted), also the leather saddles start at around $1900, and you can only seem to get dressage or jumping saddles. the quality of the bridles is pretty poor too, unless you spend around $250! I got my bridle 2 months ago for $90 and it is already showing signs of wear and the reins have stretched!!
Anyway, won't go on too much, I can hear people yawning already!! Horse talk seems to have that effect on some people!! not sure what the horsey scene is like in Perth but here in Sydney its great!!

Mandy
Thanks for details on Brookleigh. I have taken a quick look at it, but will have a more detailed look when I have time. It looks really nice, but think that it may probably be in the opposite direction to where we will eventually settle. We are quite interested in Bunbury area as we could set up a decent business and have a few acres a little further out and the prices of land are cheaper that way.
I have 3 horses at the moment. I have just been out to check their water now. I will miss them a lot. Even priced up bringing my daughters pony out with us but it is way too expensive. £6,500 so he will have to go up for sale. My other 2 are going to my daughters farm. I have 19 year old and a 3 1/2 year old. At least I know that they will be looked after.
I can't imagine being without horses. Once in your blood, always in your blood.
Is there as much work involved with them in the Winter over there, or are they able to get out more?
How many acres per horse is recommended. More than here I am sure with the very dry summers. We have struggled her with 5 1/2 for 3 of them with the very hot summer we have had. At last, rain is on its way.
One more question before I really get on your nerves. Do they have the dreaded RAGWORT out there in Oz, or is there some other rotton poisonous plant to replace it?
Thanks

Whisky
Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:33 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone done one of the 5 day horse treks in the Snowy Mountains? I havn't but would love to, now wheres my "man from Snowy river" Vid! Does anyone know of any good stables in eastern Melbourne ? Oh yes back to the thread, to many good oz things to list, but riding through Kalbarri national park was a highlight!
Old Aug 26th 2003, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

They do a lot of the long distance riding in Oz from what I have heard. Wouldn't mind getting fit and doing those.
Did a bit of Le Trek here and really enjoyed it. Trained to get my horse fit for weeks, but my, did I ache for days after.

Wintec is an Australian make isn't it?

Whisky
Old Aug 26th 2003, 11:37 pm
Badge

Did a ride out in the Blue Mountains end January and it was cruisy. It was just after some bush fires so the land had suffered in places. The leader said "you're not a bad horseman for a beginner" (I had said I was alright - First rule - never admit to experience) then my gf opened her big mouth and said "he was a jackeroo!" and put me right in it...

badgers

Old Aug 27th 2003, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

no Wintecs are imported here.

If I hadn't of had the kids with me when I went to Thredbo I would have done one of those 5 day treks through the mountains! One day maybe!! Would love to see the wild Brumby horses for real.

Mandy

They do a lot of the long distance riding in Oz from what I have heard. Wouldn't mind getting fit and doing those.
Did a bit of Le Trek here and really enjoyed it. Trained to get my horse fit for weeks, but my, did I ache for days after.

Wintec is an Australian make isn't it?

Whisky
Old Aug 27th 2003, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

ok so I stand corrected. Wintecs are Australian made. I had no idea! funny the horseland store I bought mine from said they were imported! just shows you how much they know. and to think I was riding in an australian made saddle 10 years ago, without even knowing it!!

Mandy

Originally posted by Mandy Bale
no Wintecs are imported here.

If I hadn't of had the kids with me when I went to Thredbo I would have done one of those 5 day treks through the mountains! One day maybe!! Would love to see the wild Brumby horses for real.

Mandy
Old Aug 27th 2003, 4:02 am
Just Joined

Vegemite Sarnie is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm so so so glad to see such positive stuff here. The comments from Wilfo, PB etc were really starting to get me down.

I'm glad people out there are having such positive experiences. It's really helped me reaffirm what I'm doing. I can't wait to get to my new home. 11 months to go!!! Oz here I come!!!
Old Aug 27th 2003, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

I have a wintec at the moment, and find it very comfortable. I have got loads of horsey stuff here that I will have to sell for next to nothing, and then start all over again when we are there.

These Mountains sound nice that you go trecking on. Hope there is something similar in our area.

Whisky
Old Aug 27th 2003, 6:30 am

kevwalt is an unknown quantity at this point

went to watch a Ozzie footie game (AFL) Essendon (Bombers) v Melbourne at the MCG and understood it :Bombers won (YES)

also the look on my daughters face while shes feeding wild kangeroo at pinaroo park and seeing the mothers with joeys in there pouches ..... great stuff