Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

happier stories?????

Wikiposts

happier stories?????

Old Aug 26th 2003, 1:22 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Things that I like about Perth are:

Looking out over the river at Kings Park
Going to the beach to walk the dogs
Seeing the kangeroos everyday in the forest where we live (well, we don't live in the forest but you know what I mean!)
listening to the kookaburrows (not sure of the spelling! woops) when I'am working at the stables
watching the different kinds of parrots flying around at Brigaddon Rapids
Drinking coffee at Hillarys
Drinking beer and wine outside at home
Barbies with new friends
Old Aug 26th 2003, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

philj6969 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Dotty about the storms, there's nothing like a lightning storm in the evening as the air cools down, and the rain is one of natures best things after / during a hot day. I cant wait for my children to go to Australian schools either.

Phil.

ps application just in 139er hopefully there by 1st qtr 2004
Old Aug 26th 2003, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by janeyray

Seeing the kangeroos everyday in the forest where we live (well, we don't live in the forest but you know what I mean!)
listening to the kookaburrows (not sure of the spelling! woops) when I'am working at the stables
Barbies with new friends
Janeyray
Where abouts are the stables. Both my daughter and I have horses, but when we get to Perth we would like to carry on riding until we are able to get some land. Do they take liveries?
If they do, what is the cost per week?
The horses are one of the things I am going to miss most.

My day is getting better by each post

Whisky
Old Aug 26th 2003, 1:56 am
suz
Forum Regular

suz is an unknown quantity at this point

Barbies with new friends
Hi Janeray and Diane

Am having a bad day, so it was really nice to hear from you guys that you do have some good times over there, lately everytime I look on the forum its pretty negative, before anyone says anything,I've read about the crime thing and the medical thing and the traffic accident thing etc...............more happy stories please, Hills hopefully Nov.

Suz
Old Aug 26th 2003, 2:04 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by whisky
Janeyray
Where abouts are the stables. Both my daughter and I have horses, but when we get to Perth we would like to carry on riding until we are able to get some land. Do they take liveries?
If they do, what is the cost per week?
The horses are one of the things I am going to miss most.

My day is getting better by each post

Whisky
I had a horse in the UK but put him on permanent loan. Miss the horses terribly. I used to compete in Affiliated Dressage, they have it here but the horse culture is not the same as the UK. There are horses everywhere but a lot of them are just kept as pets and not very well kept. There are a few lovely yards, Brookleigh Equestrian Estate being one of them, its on the Gt. Northern Highyway, about 30 min drive from Perth (northwards) a bit pricey but give good tuition and the place is a good standard. look at www.brookleigh.com.au
I work for a lady with dressage horses and I ride for her a few times a week.
We would have loved to buy a place with land but the prices went up so much we couldn't afford it so we moved to Ellenbrook where all the horses are. Next best thing!!!
I find that I am very bored without the horses in my life. As you well know they are a 24hr a day, 365 days a year project. Thought it was time to start spending time with my family instead of the horses but its tough!!
Old Aug 26th 2003, 3:01 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
Hi, we hope to settle in Adelaide as my partner has family there. Had a major hiccup tho as we thought we may not be able to afford the childcare but, thanks to a link from Sandra, we may have overcome that problem. As a consolation when we thought we wouldnt be able to go for a few years, we booked ourselves a very expensive holiday to Adelaide and Sydney next April and used up a chunk of our Oz savings. but, what the hell, just have to save some more!!! we now wont submit any applications until this time next year - as a nurse we would be lucky enough to be fast-tracked thru in about 6 months - and with only a couple of grand in the bank it wouldnt get us far with 3 kids!!!!
The weather is so depressing.....
Where are you heading, and will it be soon?
Sue
If you have a holiday booked for April - just an idea but why don't you apply for visas now - get them in short time (cause fast tracking might not last forever - look at IT). Use the April trip to validate and then you sit back knowing you have no rush on the rest of things? Cause after you validate you have up to five years to make the move. This way you know are in and there in no panic about making another validation trip while you wait for sale of house etc etc if that might be the issue then!

We did things an odd way cause of potential issues with getting in on medical, like left a house for a year (not rented as such). Came over on a temp visa and kept our fingers crossed for PR. Nothing like stress for making sure you have made the correct decision!

just an idea - best of luck
Old Aug 26th 2003, 3:08 am
home again, home again

Originally posted by suz
Hi Janeray and Diane

Am having a bad day, so it was really nice to hear from you guys that you do have some good times over there, lately everytime I look on the forum its pretty negative, before anyone says anything,I've read about the crime thing and the medical thing and the traffic accident thing etc...............more happy stories please, Hills hopefully Nov.

Suz
hi Suz,
Just wondered if you had visited Perth before? and are you the one with Sasha from poms in perth?
Old Aug 26th 2003, 5:11 am
suz
Forum Regular

suz is an unknown quantity at this point

hi Suz,
Just wondered if you had visited Perth before? and are you the one with Sasha from poms in perth?
Hi Jane,

Yes, thats me, going crazy in Sussex! Initially we were going to head for Adelaide, Steve has got family there, but he did a quick visit to Oz earlier in the year, via Perth and fell in love with the place, Adelaide never stood a chance! so no I have never been myself, really looking forward to finally getting there, although I'm sure I will miss all my buddies, you dont quite realise what a good support system you have untill its gone!!!!, send me a pm, we can talk more.
Thanks
Suzanne
Old Aug 26th 2003, 5:32 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Love all the up beat lines - wish we were there!

(I have got to say - This waiting for the house to sell is a thousand times worse than waiting for the visa.)

Aint that the truth

Yes I am.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 5:58 am
Just Joined

QueenOfMunich will become famous soon enoughQueenOfMunich will become famous soon enough

I just have to say: Thank you! I really loved reading all your posts. Though I haven't been depressed or anything before, I still feel better now after reading about what life can be downunder.

I especially liked reading about the beaches, since beach life at Lake Constance (in Germany) this summer is not what it used to be - the lake is almost empty, because of this summer's heat.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

TimEh? is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by QueenOfMunich
I just have to say: Thank you! I really loved reading all your posts. Though I haven't been depressed or anything before, I still feel better now after reading about what life can be downunder.

I especially liked reading about the beaches, since beach life at Lake Constance (in Germany) this summer is not what it used to be - the lake is almost empty, because of this summer's heat.
I'm also glad to read some positive stuff about Oz. It was never my choice for emigration, but I still like to think it's an O.K. place to live.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 6:55 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice
Default good times in Oz

Hi all, its the plumber.You will like this,spent all day helping cousin preparing base for his new house in Bargo,had two large shooners of lager down the pub,fish & chips from the Greek chippy,cousin is sitting naked in old tin bath,I,m on lounger looking up into that clear Australian sky what a great day.Got cramp in the night jumped out of bed into the yard then remembered the spiders.Got woken up by the Kookaburras.How many UK days can you remember in that detail? Great great memories Colin
Old Aug 26th 2003, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

I had a horse in the UK but put him on permanent loan. Miss the horses terribly. I used to compete in Affiliated Dressage, they have it here but the horse culture is not the same as the UK. There are horses everywhere but a lot of them are just kept as pets and not very well kept. There are a few lovely yards, Brookleigh Equestrian Estate being one of them, its on the Gt. Northern Highyway, about 30 min drive from Perth (northwards) a bit pricey but give good tuition and the place is a good standard. look at www.brookleigh.com.au
I work for a lady with dressage horses and I ride for her a few times a week.
We would have loved to buy a place with land but the prices went up so much we couldn't afford it so we moved to Ellenbrook where all the horses are. Next best thing!!!
I find that I am very bored without the horses in my life. As you well know they are a 24hr a day, 365 days a year project. Thought it was time to start spending time with my family instead of the horses but its tough!!
Thanks for details on Brookleigh. I have taken a quick look at it, but will have a more detailed look when I have time. It looks really nice, but think that it may probably be in the opposite direction to where we will eventually settle. We are quite interested in Bunbury area as we could set up a decent business and have a few acres a little further out and the prices of land are cheaper that way.
I have 3 horses at the moment. I have just been out to check their water now. I will miss them a lot. Even priced up bringing my daughters pony out with us but it is way too expensive. £6,500 so he will have to go up for sale. My other 2 are going to my daughters farm. I have 19 year old and a 3 1/2 year old. At least I know that they will be looked after.
I can't imagine being without horses. Once in your blood, always in your blood.
Is there as much work involved with them in the Winter over there, or are they able to get out more?
How many acres per horse is recommended. More than here I am sure with the very dry summers. We have struggled her with 5 1/2 for 3 of them with the very hot summer we have had. At last, rain is on its way.
One more question before I really get on your nerves. Do they have the dreaded RAGWORT out there in Oz, or is there some other rotton poisonous plant to replace it?
Thanks

Whisky
Old Aug 26th 2003, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

delboy is an unknown quantity at this point

this is more like it,im so glad to read some of the happier stories,i know you have to realise there r good and bad stories to read about oz and i do know there r some bad downers about oz but it is good to hear the uppers.I think every person expects different things out of life and dont really matter where you r in the world but i want to give oz (perth} a good old bash and r looking forward to our trip in october see ya ally delboys wife
Old Aug 26th 2003, 9:03 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by whisky
Thanks to you all today. I am back on the positive.
I don't mind reading about the things that aren't the same as the UK etc, as we really do expect some things to get to us, but it was getting to the stage on here that no-one seemed to like Oz. I couldn't quite get my head round it, as it didn't seem to be the same Australia that I have been too.

I have got to say - This waiting for the house to sell is a thousand times worse than waiting for the visa.

Whisky
I know what you mean Whisky,
We have been researching, planning, hoping and dreaming about Oz for the past three years then I found this forum and I reached the stage where I was thinking I don't want to go, how am I going to tell my husband I've changed my mind about emmigrating to Oz. So it is good to hear some good things about Perth.

We are heading out for a few weeks over christmas and the new year so hopefully we'll see the Perth we remember from previous visits and get excited again.

ACE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.