Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

happier stories?????

Wikiposts

happier stories?????

Old Aug 25th 2003, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

You never know if it's the right thing or not so there is no point in questioning it, you'd be questioning it again if you stayed so just get your arse out here and start enjoying the things on our lists (especially the bottle shops)., and then you'll be able to make your own list.

Look forward to seein ya.

Diane
Old Aug 25th 2003, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DianeOZ
You never know if it's the right thing or not so there is no point in questioning it, you'd be questioning it again if you stayed so just get your arse out here and start enjoying the things on our lists (especially the bottle shops)., and then you'll be able to make your own list.

Look forward to seein ya.

Diane
Thanks Diane, your right. See you soon

Whisky
Old Aug 25th 2003, 7:44 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by whisky
Diane, like your list.
I am at the stage where doubts keep coming into your mind. Am I doing the right thing?
Yesterday, being a Bank Holiday, I mentioned to hubby and daughter that we should go out. 'Where shall we go' I said. We couldn't think of anywhere local. Ended up going into town and looking around the shops. It was fine, but would have liked to have gone somewhere a bit more interesting.
As we were driving into town, I pondered about our future in Oz, and thought about the lovely views and walks and beaches in Oz.
Maybe that isn't everyones cup of tea, but its ours, and you have just confirmed it for me this morning that we are doing the right thing.
Look forward to our arrival and a girlie night out.

Whisky

completely agree with you Whisky - i too was starting to have doubts having spent sevral weeks perusing this forum. It has given me a reality check, but this thread has reminded me of all the really fantastic bits that make up for it. When I stayed in Sydney about 8 years ago I stayed with a friend in Balmoral - every morning I would get up and go for a walk on the beach and sit and think. Yesterday, my kids were going stir crazy stuck in the house because it was raining, so we decided to don our wellies and macs and walk to the local park. When we got there the local druggies had taken over the swings and were hurling abuse at anyone who came near. Thought about my walks on the beach and my faith was restored. Know it wont be plain sailing, but it really cheered me up.......
Did I really just type wellies and macs???..........in August!!!!!!????
says it all really............
Sue
Old Aug 25th 2003, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, wellies and macs sound about right. We haven't had rain yet, but the wind is fierce and the sky is as grey as you can get. Something is brewing. Suppose this is the change now until May04.
Where abouts are you going Sue?

Whisky
Old Aug 25th 2003, 8:08 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Last month I had a beautiful lunch at balmoral bathers. It is a great location.

Still there were people running around in speedos.
Old Aug 25th 2003, 8:32 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by whisky
Yes, wellies and macs sound about right. We haven't had rain yet, but the wind is fierce and the sky is as grey as you can get. Something is brewing. Suppose this is the change now until May04.
Where abouts are you going Sue?

Whisky

Hi, we hope to settle in Adelaide as my partner has family there. Had a major hiccup tho as we thought we may not be able to afford the childcare but, thanks to a link from Sandra, we may have overcome that problem. As a consolation when we thought we wouldnt be able to go for a few years, we booked ourselves a very expensive holiday to Adelaide and Sydney next April and used up a chunk of our Oz savings. but, what the hell, just have to save some more!!! we now wont submit any applications until this time next year - as a nurse we would be lucky enough to be fast-tracked thru in about 6 months - and with only a couple of grand in the bank it wouldnt get us far with 3 kids!!!!
The weather is so depressing.....
Where are you heading, and will it be soon?
Sue
Old Aug 25th 2003, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
Hi, we hope to settle in Adelaide as my partner has family there. Had a major hiccup tho as we thought we may not be able to afford the childcare but, thanks to a link from Sandra, we may have overcome that problem. As a consolation when we thought we wouldnt be able to go for a few years, we booked ourselves a very expensive holiday to Adelaide and Sydney next April and used up a chunk of our Oz savings. but, what the hell, just have to save some more!!! we now wont submit any applications until this time next year - as a nurse we would be lucky enough to be fast-tracked thru in about 6 months - and with only a couple of grand in the bank it wouldnt get us far with 3 kids!!!!
Sue
We are off to Perth for starters, and staying with my Brother who lives in Mandurah, for a short time, whilst we sort out cars etc.
We will then take a good look at places from Hillarys and as far down as Bunbury. We will be looking for a business.
We have got visas, and just waiting for the house to go through. If all goes well, we are hoping to be out there early to middle of October. It just depends on what the surveyor has put in his report.
I really need to be there now. The waiting is driving me round the twist.
We have accepted a much lower offer on the house to try and get a move on, so know what you mean about the money.

Whisky
Old Aug 25th 2003, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

There must be something in the air ,as i too have been having a few nerves with all the questions running around my mind,like,am i being selfish,lifes ok here ,am i just seeing all the negatives bits to justify going,etc ets.And i suspose i already know the answer.
No life is not so bad here,its just that we want to experience a different lifestyle for all of us and if we dont do it now we wont be able to go later.
Is anybody going to Brisbane this time next year?as i know i will need a few friendly faces.
donna and co
Old Aug 25th 2003, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Stress free supermarket shopping
WHAT !! Supermarket shopping is stressful anywhere in the world..

Sat here today sun shining, city and river views, birds singing, its a tough life in Perth.
Old Aug 25th 2003, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Went to my first Aussie rules footy game at the weekend. West Coast Eagles vs. Melbourne - the Eagles won!

I really enjoyed it, good atmosphere and great for the kids, no swearing, abuse etc. It's Winter here but during the interval the sun came out and I looked around soaking up all the atmosphere wondering what I'd be doing if I was back in the UK. Although I've been really homesick I was happy to be in Perth that day with my family.

Also, what a great stadium at Subiaco, Perth.
Old Aug 25th 2003, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

crocoonimper is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
Sue
Hi Sue
We are going in March to NSW - our twin boys will be 2 by then, it was just nice to see someone else is going to fly that distance with twins (and another!). I am also a nurse and we got our visas in 3 months start to finish - sorry those still waiting - so we were really lucky. Hope all goes well with your application and hols xx Cath
Old Aug 25th 2003, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bondipom
One of my favourite moments was at a England Australia day nighter with the barmy army. Even though England lost the Aussies still loved being constantly abused!!!

They think the Barmy Army is great.
Absolutely - bad songs and all ! I am currently trying to poach a Barmy Army friend of mine to write some good tunes for us (we are tiring of the Aussie Oi Oi Oi thing, but he refuses - ahh well, you can only but try!
Old Aug 25th 2003, 11:23 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

My personal favorite was sitting on the end of a jetty with the wife dangling a line and catching bigger, more interesting fish than i ever have in the UK. Crystal clear water, noone else on the jetty. Great. Also saw penguins and seals from that same jetty.

Also loved camping out there....no more muddy fields for me !
Old Aug 25th 2003, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough
Default Re: happier stories?????

I'm happy! absolutely love it here.

mandy

Originally posted by delboy
hey what about some happy life stories in oz, i know oz isnt always dreamers paradise ,but would like to hear some good aswell.ie if there r any to tell
Old Aug 26th 2003, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks to you all today. I am back on the positive.
I don't mind reading about the things that aren't the same as the UK etc, as we really do expect some things to get to us, but it was getting to the stage on here that no-one seemed to like Oz. I couldn't quite get my head round it, as it didn't seem to be the same Australia that I have been too.

I have got to say - This waiting for the house to sell is a thousand times worse than waiting for the visa.

Whisky

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.