Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It happens all over the place...

It happens all over the place...

Old Nov 12th 2008, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute
Default It happens all over the place...

Posted as only to point out that most every place on the planet has issues.
Australia has them just the same. I also recently read about a kiddie fiddler being rumbled in the area I used to live in the Illawarra. Here in the UK we just had a poor baby let down by the social care workers. Shit happens as Forrest Gump said.

Grass not always greener it seems to me.

A teenage boy fatally stabbed in a wild brawl in central Adelaide was set upon by two gangs of youths, a witness says.
Another youth is in a critical condition after the brawl involving between 12 to 15 teenage boys, all of African appearance, erupted near the corner of Grenfell Street and St James Place about 3.30pm (CDT) yesterday.

"One of the teenagers has died and one is in a critical condition at the Royal Adelaide Hospital," South Australia Police spokesman Senior Constable Mick Turnbull said.

With many of the youths armed with knives the brawl spilled out across Grenfell Street.

"The fight has proceeded across the road, outside the Fleet Street newsagency (in Grenfell Street) and two teenage boys have been stabbed as a result of the fight involving a group of teenage boys," he told AAP.

A witness, who did not wish to be named, said two large groups of youths chased a boy across the road to the newsagency.

"Soon as they saw the single guy, out came knives, off came belts, and they went for him," one said.

Witnesses at the scene told reporters the fight involved a group of Sudanese youths.

An overseas student said she was inside the newsagency with her elderly parents on their first trip to Australia as the brawl erupted.

"It was terrible. This should not happen in Adelaide," the unnamed woman told News Limited.

"They (her parents) should not see this in Adelaide.

"It's very frightening. Thanks to God they (her parents) were not stabbed."

A man who administered CPR on a wounded boy, believed to be 14 years old, said the scene was chaotic.

"I came around the corner and saw a group of youths running," the unnamed man told News Ltd.

"I don't know where (on his body) he was stabbed, I was doing CPR while I was on the phone calling for help and other people were helping."

A bicycle courier said he used his shirt to stem the flow of blood from one of the wounded boys.

Blood stained the footpath and a window outside the shop, while magazine racks inside were upturned, witnesses said.

Major crimes Detective Inspector Doug Barr called for witnesses to contact police.

"One person has been arrested and is in custody, however, their connection with this incident is sketchy," he told reporters.

"The investigation is still in the very early stages and I'm unable to provide further details about that."

Traffic in central Adelaide was in gridlock for the afternoon peak as major crimes detectives closed the affected section of Grenfell Street to examine the scene.

Grenfell Street did not reopen until about 7pm.

Last edited by Olibeneli; Nov 12th 2008 at 10:17 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:27 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: It happens all over the place...

A bit more on the story here: http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...006301,00.html

Police said a fight had broken out involving up to 15 Sudanese teenagers in the City Cross food plaza, before some fled for safety.

Sudanese Community president Mabok Deng Mabok was with the family of the dead teenager last night. "There is no evidence of what was actually the problem and why the incident happened," he said.

"We are begging for witnesses to come forward to give us a good insight of what really took place. It's very unusual for children of that age, very unusual that they used those weapons."

Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:27 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Another quiet day at work?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Another quiet day at work?
Who for you ?

I left work at 6.30pm, got home (through that god awful UK traffic) at 6.50pm, went swimming with my boys from 7pm to 8pm, home at 8.10pm to catch Liverpool go down to Spurs while eating a lovely curry. Boys to bed, catch up on some reading, surf the net for a cheap house, read the news and hey presto on exiting Hotmail.com I arrived at news.msn.com.au to this story above.

I reckon a pretty full day myself. Bed now as it's midnight....which must be circa midday ...as in middle of the work day where you are..... and no doubt also quiet ???

Good night.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 11:11 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
Who for you ?

I left work at 6.30pm, got home (through that god awful UK traffic) at 6.50pm, went swimming with my boys from 7pm to 8pm, home at 8.10pm to catch Liverpool go down to Spurs while eating a lovely curry. Boys to bed, catch up on some reading, surf the net for a cheap house, read the news and hey presto on exiting Hotmail.com I arrived at news.msn.com.au to this story above.

I reckon a pretty full day myself. Bed now as it's midnight....which must be circa midday ...as in middle of the work day where you are..... and no doubt also quiet ???

Good night.
Toasted ham sandwich, mayo, ground pepper, packet of cheesey Doritos, diet coke to wash it down.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

Letspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant future

:[QUOTE=Olibeneli;6967322]Who for you ?

I left work at 6.30pm, got home (through that god awful UK traffic) at 6.50pm, went swimming with my boys from 7pm to 8pm, home at 8.10pm

Helluva commute that, lucky you have a pool nearby.................