Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hampton, Melbourne

Hampton, Melbourne

Old May 26th 2011, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

NikkiKK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hampton, Melbourne

Hi All, I am planning to move here this summer, Anyone any advise on the area? Is it a good area for families? So hard to try get info on schools etc, Anyone ever been/lived here?
Old May 26th 2011, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hampton, Melbourne

Originally Posted by NikkiKK
Hi All, I am planning to move here this summer, Anyone any advise on the area? Is it a good area for families? So hard to try get info on schools etc, Anyone ever been/lived here?
I live down the road. Lovely area and very family orientated. Don't have children but understand Hampton primary is a good school.
Old May 26th 2011, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, don't suppose you know the website of the school, When I google schools i end up with millions of pages, Can't wait to get over there and be able to go and check things out in "real life"..
Old May 26th 2011, 11:23 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would love to live there, (if i won the lottery , lol) its a lovely area and the reputation of the shool is excellent,
Old May 26th 2011, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

So Schools aside, whats it like for 'grown ups'.. Is there much in the way of night life, shopping etc
Old May 26th 2011, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

Also would there be many places to work around there, Will probably just be looking for an office admin type job, Is it far from the city?
Old May 26th 2011, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Also would there be many places to work around there, Will probably just be looking for an office admin type job, Is it far from the city?
Don't think you will be able to afford Hampton with an office admin job. Hampton Park maybe.
Old May 26th 2011, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Other half is already there, and obviously has a much better job,
Old May 27th 2011, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Like HeBe we're just down the road in beautiful Beauy (a much better suburb IMHO ) and know Hampton reasonably well - its a great suburb for families.

To be honest you can't go wrong with any of the Bayside suburbs - Elsternwick, Brighton, Hampton, Sandringham, Black Rock or Beaumaris.

On the plus side Hampton has a train line, close to the CBD (20 min drive or 20 mins by train - very frequent service), close to the beach, close to shopping malls, has good primary schools (I believe) and every possible shop you could need on Hampton Street. Lots of boutique type shops, delis, cafes, bars and restaurants.

The downside with so many shops and cafes etc is that Hampton Street is usually busy - traffic and pedestrians - and (as someone else mentions) it is not a cheap area. Nowhere in Bayside is, buying property in these areas is astonishingly expensive.

Word of caution. We know many Brits who initially rent in the Bayside area (as they get LAFHA), fall in love with it and put their kids in the local primary school but then cannot afford to buy in the area. They then have to either move schools or face a bit of a commute to/from school. Worth bearing in mind.

In terms of work, there will be plenty of opportunities for office admin type work, either locally or in the CBD.

Website for Hampton Primary - www.hamptonps.vic.edu.au

We've been here 6 years and from discussions with friends/parents in Hampton, Sandy, Black Rock and Beauy the schools seem relatively similar. A very good standard by Aussie/Melbourne standards, lots of social and personal development. Not so good IMHO with regard to education, especially when compared to the UK. But that alone deserves a whole new thread !

Hope that helps. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions, happy to help.

Cheers
Col
Old May 27th 2011, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Seems to be all positive about Hampton, I'm sure I can handle a bit of traffic
Just can't wait to get there now,
Old May 27th 2011, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

You can also look at the non beach side suburbs along the same route and they are a little cheaper than living on the beach side of the Nepean Highway. Also you could look at Mentone and Mordialloc as well.

Anywhere near the beach is expensive these days but if you go a couple a few kilometres back it gets cheaper.

Only problem with non beach side of Nepean Highway is the Moorabbin Airport zone. This is available on the web, so if aircraft noise is a problem you can avoid living in the zone. Properties in the zone are cheaper for obvious reasons.
Old May 28th 2011, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

If you need a hand with a drive around etc and dealing with agents I am willing to help. I used to do relocation work so pretty familiar with some of the agents. Just let me know and you can buy me a coffee in exchange. I also know a large group of mums who meet up regularly so could arrange an intro
Old May 28th 2011, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hebe
If you need a hand with a drive around etc and dealing with agents I am willing to help. I used to do relocation work so pretty familiar with some of the agents. Just let me know and you can buy me a coffee in exchange. I also know a large group of mums who meet up regularly so could arrange an intro
Thanks, Thats very nice of you, will keep this in mind when I arrive, be great to get to know some other mums,