British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Hamilton Island (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/hamilton-island-763717/)

Family of 3 Jul 3rd 2012 8:51 am

Hamilton Island

So my husband is having one of those "0" birthdays in March and I'm trying to think of a holiday to book as a surprise.

He does a lot of international travel for work so I know he won't want a massively long flight anywhere, so I've come up with a few days in Sydney then a trip to Hamilton Island as a possibility.

Anyone been to Hamilton Island? Nice places to stay (us and a 6 year old (by then)?) Weather?

TIA.

bcworld Jul 3rd 2012 9:02 am

Re: Hamilton Island

Originally Posted by Family of 3 (Post 10151846)
Anyone been to Hamilton Island? Nice places to stay (us and a 6 year old (by then)?) Weather?

March? Height of the rainy season innit?? Not sure it should put you off but I've had some real washouts in NQ that time of year.

Family of 3 Jul 3rd 2012 9:32 am

Hmmmmmnnnnn....

Ok......

I've just found out that Virgin does direct flights from Perth to Phuket. We went about a gazillion times when we lived in Singapore, but I guess that shows we like it.

Hmmmmmnnnn.....

bcworld Jul 3rd 2012 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Family of 3 (Post 10151896)
Hmmmmmnnnnn....

Ok......

I've just found out that Virgin does direct flights from Perth to Phuket. We went about a gazillion times when we lived in Singapore, but I guess that shows we like it.

Hmmmmmnnnn.....

I know where I'd go! :D

IvanM Jul 3rd 2012 9:40 am

I found Hamilton expensive and dull. I went there after sailing in the Whitsundays which was great.

Originally Posted by Family of 3 (Post 10151846)
So my husband is having one of those "0" birthdays in March and I'm trying to think of a holiday to book as a surprise.

He does a lot of international travel for work so I know he won't want a massively long flight anywhere, so I've come up with a few days in Sydney then a trip to Hamilton Island as a possibility.

TIA.

Hebe Jul 3rd 2012 9:41 am

Sydney and Byron bay? I love the Kathatani shores in Phuket :thumbsup:

Bermudashorts Jul 3rd 2012 10:49 am

Sydney and Fiji maybe?

Family of 3 Jul 3rd 2012 10:52 am

I like the idea of Fiji, but with the flight to Sydney then Fiji, it's a long flight again.

I thought about Seychelles/Mauritius etc too, but I'm guessing you have to go via South Africa (from Perth).

Bermudashorts Jul 3rd 2012 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Family of 3 (Post 10152065)
I like the idea of Fiji, but with the flight to Sydney then Fiji, it's a long flight again.

I thought about Seychelles/Mauritius etc too, but I'm guessing you have to go via South Africa (from Perth).

It is less than four hours to Fiji. Not too bad, we did it in March this year.

brissybee Jul 3rd 2012 10:55 am

My thoughts were that Hamilton Island was over-priced with lots of construction work and little to do.

We couldn't find a heated pool (which we wanted in Spring) and while the beach was pretty for a stroll, we didn't swim due to the jellyfish warning signs on the beach.

What do I think of Hamilton Island?

:thumbdown:

jad n rich Jul 3rd 2012 11:03 am

We went for a wedding, it was grey and rainy so not the best time to judge it, the resort accommodation was quite shabby IMO.

Mind you I thought 1770 and agnes waters were boring dumps and people rave about them:lol:

Family of 3 Jul 3rd 2012 11:05 am

OK, I think I'm "off" Hamilton Island now (especially having seen some of the reviews/prices on Trip Advisor).

So tell me more about Fiji.....which bits? I know nothing!

Pollyana Jul 3rd 2012 11:29 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 10151858)
March? Height of the rainy season innit?? Not sure it should put you off but I've had some real washouts in NQ that time of year.

Cyclone season :eek:

Family of 3 Jul 3rd 2012 11:31 am

Bit too exciting for me, then!

Hebe Jul 3rd 2012 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Family of 3 (Post 10152104)
OK, I think I'm "off" Hamilton Island now (especially having seen some of the reviews/prices on Trip Advisor).

So tell me more about Fiji.....which bits? I know nothing!

Not a huge amount to do but I like it for a bit of r&r. Been about 5 times. My favourite were the islands and not denarua which is ok as near the airport and a quick easy transfer. We stayed at musket cover but that was when we first arrived so a long time ago now. Have a look on trip advisor for what would suit you. For the islands you can do a small water plane transfer or by cat.

No experience of the coral coast area but I am sure others have. We went to a timeshare resort once over Suva way and that was shocking!!