Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ham / turkey like rubber??

Ham / turkey like rubber??

Old Dec 29th 2007, 7:49 am
Account Closed

Andy_Roo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ham / turkey like rubber??

Thanks for the replies and it does look like I may need to go to the British Shop! I know it's all a matter of taste but when you've been subjected to ham for nigh on 40 years you kind of get used to it not tasting like something usually stamped with 'Pirelli'?? (nice calendars though.....I hear??)
Old Dec 29th 2007, 8:47 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andy_Roo
Thanks for the replies and it does look like I may need to go to the British Shop! I know it's all a matter of taste but when you've been subjected to ham for nigh on 40 years you kind of get used to it not tasting like something usually stamped with 'Pirelli'?? (nice calendars though.....I hear??)
My palate hasnt changed , i dont think since moving to oz... so perhaps shop around, and find a butcher that does ham the way you want it..

Trial and Error.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really nice

Should do your turkey in the weber next time - comes out perfect every time!

Ham sucks here so no solutions to that
Old Dec 29th 2007, 10:32 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
My palate hasnt changed , i dont think since moving to oz... so perhaps shop around, and find a butcher that does ham the way you want it..

Trial and Error.
Will do that - thanks for the help!
Old Dec 30th 2007, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

muffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mand8002
The only place I could find a gammon was in a british shop
Do you mean the Brit shop at Birkdale ... we tried her gammon and it was really good .. as are the sausages ... ok they're more expensive than Coles / Woolies, but given it's come half way round the world ......

Cheers ... David
Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by muffinoz
Do you mean the Brit shop at Birkdale ... we tried her gammon and it was really good .. as are the sausages ... ok they're more expensive than Coles / Woolies, but given it's come half way round the world ......

Cheers ... David
Yes it was the shop in Birkdale and the gammon was delicious. Apparantly they can't import it so it is still Australian but it is cooked in the british way.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 3:07 pm
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

We could never get used to the Aussie Ham, but we eventually tried David Jones for Ham and Gammon - Delicious!

As for turkey - never bought one in the 14 years we were there, always ate out on Christmas Day, but the turkey meat we ate at the restaurants was always very good.

Where did you get your turkey from? Also, do you roast it breast side down, as this is the best way to cook a turkey so all the juices stay inside the bird and go into the meat to keep it tasteful and moist.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Merry Crimbo to one and all!! Quick question though, where can you get a decent bit of ham and turkey that isn't like rubber?? Last Crimbo we bought a large turkey breast and you could've played basketball with it... ....this Crimbo we bought a large bit of ham and it's the same consistency?!?! Help please?? I'm fed up with meat that makes your jaws bounce apart!!

Happy New Year to one and all!
Andy
Don't eat meat myself, but always buy free range for hubby, most supermarket stuff will be the same old mass produced rubber stuff, alot of the white turkeys are kept in squashed conditions and bulked up to size within 3 months of birth, that's not normal.................try buying it direct from a free range wholesaler, small butcher or similar, you'll pay more but taste will be much better (or so I'm told by hubby ).
Old Dec 31st 2007, 7:05 am
Account Closed

That would be Birkdale in QLD, right?? BUT I LIVE IN NSW!?!? Bugga!! Mind you, at least I've some other things to try so thanks to you all for your replies (and for not blaming my culinary skills!!) The wife still eats my food and is still alive so I can't be that bad......<waits for reply from aforementioned wife!!)
Old Dec 31st 2007, 7:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Ok - I got mine from Woolies but it was definitely a gelatinous sort of consistency and not like the ham I'd had in the UK where it used to flake off when you cut it??
Don't buy meat from Coles or Woolworths - they sell shite. Go to your local butcher instead. We bought a Gammon from ours and it was delicious.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 8:02 am
Cake addicted member

poppet has a spectacular aura aboutpoppet has a spectacular aura aboutpoppet has a spectacular aura about

Aforementioned wife can't reply
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 4:07 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by poppet
Aforementioned wife can't reply
Blimey, well that IS a first!!!!!