Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Halloween - How many trick-or-treaters?

View Poll Results: How many trick-or-treaters have you had this year?
0 - Absolutely none
52.38%
1-5
21.43%
6-10
5.95%
11-20
10.71%
21-30
4.76%
31-40
2.38%
41-50
0%
Over 50
2.38%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Halloween - How many trick-or-treaters?

Old Oct 31st 2009, 2:04 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Halloween - How many trick-or-treaters?

Originally Posted by MarkMC
haha, next knock on the door I'm letting the dogs out.... Should of let them out on the first knock, word soon gets around....
Well if your Boxers are anything like mine opening the door won't scare a soul! My dog would either lick you to death or whip you with his tail!
Old Oct 31st 2009, 2:08 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by northernbird
Well if your Boxers are anything like mine opening the door won't scare a soul! My dog would either lick you to death or whip you with his tail!
True, but my pair love to jump, especially up people that are flailing their arms. AND the little buggers on the door step don't know they are licky boxers
Old Oct 31st 2009, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

tony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud of

Do Aussie kids actual go round trick or treating, or is it something only the Brits do?
Old Oct 31st 2009, 7:55 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Too bl**dy many, the wee gits have eaten me out of house and home, had hoped to have some of those crisps myself, WEE GITS!
Old Oct 31st 2009, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Cuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant future

1 little kid came over to get lollies and got told to piss off.

Trick or treating is extremely annoying and you should keep this shit out of Australia imho.

Halloween is complete crap.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 10:03 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cuppa10

Trick or treating is extremely annoying and you should keep this shit out of Australia imho.

Old Oct 31st 2009, 10:10 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Not a single one. We had one last year and I didn't open the door because I've never been trick or treated before and didn't think to get in any goodies.

If I'd been prepared and opened the door, they'd better have been dressed up, made an effort. I moved into a house from an apartment in the UK just before Christmas and my neighbour's teenage son was straight over, "carolling". He sang about 6 words and I opened the door, so he stopped. I made him sing a full carol before I gave him anything.

Now I have to remember that nobody here knows of Guy Fawkes.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 10:32 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider

Now I have to remember that nobody here knows of Guy Fawkes.
Actually Australia used to ceblebrate it, though here it was known as Firecracker Night. The practice was banned oh, 25 odd years ago, as all State governments decreed that to use firecrackers, someone now had to be trained and pocess a explosives licence.....
I always looked forward to it myself and as a kid, and still have memories of a Tom Thumb going off between my fingers. Another scheme I used to get up to was to put a Doublebanger either in a sealed tin or attach it to a Skyrocket and watch it explode in the air or in the neighbours yard...
Old Oct 31st 2009, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light

Had a wee boy on his own appear at my door earlier in normal gear (for where I stay) but with a bag full of sweets. I asked what he was dressed as & he answered, "A NED".
Had to give him something for his cheek
Old Oct 31st 2009, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light

And your thoughts on Christmas please Victor?
Old Oct 31st 2009, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, nice attitude...don't take it out on the kid if you have a problem with it. And from the crowds rushing in to buy sweets and costumes at the shopping centre on Friday, I'd bet there will be more trick or treaters in years to come.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 10:48 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Actually Australia used to ceblebrate it, though here it was known as Firecracker Night. The practice was banned oh, 25 odd years ago, as all State governments decreed that to use firecrackers, someone now had to be trained and pocess a explosives licence.....
I always looked forward to it myself and as a kid, and still have memories of a Tom Thumb going off between my fingers. Another scheme I used to get up to was to put a Doublebanger either in a sealed tin or attach it to a Skyrocket and watch it explode in the air or in the neighbours yard...
We have fireworks so often in Sydney (we live near the harbour and the sound doesn't arf bounce around), I don't think we need a special night for them.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 10:54 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
We have fireworks so often in Sydney (we live near the harbour and the sound doesn't arf bounce around), I don't think we need a special night for them.
Back then, the only fireworks were for the Ekka, Royal Easter Shows etc etc. I wasn't talking about the big fireworks, just the (firecrackers) ones you held in your hand (some no bigger than a cigar) or used by Chinese in celebrations. You used to be able to buy them at the local hardware stores (not the warehouse type) for next to nothing. You'd buy a heap and have a fun family night letting them off. It was even printed on calendars so people would not forget, and there was no such thing as Halloween, which was regarded as purely an American only festival.

Last edited by The Bloke; Oct 31st 2009 at 10:57 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 11:08 pm
Auntie Fa

I don't understand this 'Halloween is American" thing. Trick or Treating, yes, but I'm a child of the (ahem, early) 60s and we always celebrated Halloween. We had fancy dress parties, played with sparklers and bobbed for apples in freezing cold water.

We also had Mischief Night, but my ageing memory is struggling to remember if it was the night before Halloween or Bonfire Night.

I've just remembered - I came out of a cinema on Oxford St this time last year and got pelted with an egg Bloody hurt, actually, but didn't break 'til it hit the floor.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

We had none, which is a little bit sad. Never get them in our area not many kids around. I guess the few kids that we do have around here are either Italian, Greek or Muslim. I'd say the Muslims dont "do" Halloween, and the Italian and Greek parents tend not to let their youngsters wander at night time... certainly not the ones who would be at trick and treat age.

My 16 year was going to do it, with her friend and her friends mum, but apparently the friend and the mum had an argument over what shoes they were going to wear LOL !! I'd say the Mum was going because they are a Maltese family... once again they wont let them wander.....Dammit would have save me 20 bucks in meal out as she came along with us on "our' Night out.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 31st 2009 at 11:20 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.