Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Halloween and Guy Fawkes

Halloween and Guy Fawkes

Old Nov 21st 2003, 5:24 pm

sewak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Halloween and Guy Fawkes

My kids would like to know if Halloween and Guy Fawkes are celebrated in Australia. They love dressing up at Halloween and going from house to house to get goodies etc.

Also does anyone know if UK Playstation 2 works in Australia and whether we should bring games that work here.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice
Default Re: Halloween and Guy Fawkes

Personally, I think if the kids enjoy it - keep on celebrating it.

However, don't blame me if the police come around to ask you a few questions about burning something that looks like a person in your back garden and dressing up like you're part of the occult.

Originally posted by sewak
My kids would like to know if Halloween and Guy Fawkes are celebrated in Australia. They love dressing up at Halloween and going from house to house to get goodies etc.

Also does anyone know if UK Playstation 2 works in Australia and whether we should bring games that work here.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Halloween is not widely celebrated - didn't have a single person at our door this year - but I have seen the odd witches mask in the shops.

Guy Fawkes isn't celebrated either - it's not relevant to Oz. I'm not sure if the fireworks law is Australia-wide but in Vic, you can't buy fireworks in shops. Only licencsed pyrotechnicians have access to fireworks and are allowed to set them off.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 6:30 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Halloween is not widely celebrated - didn't have a single person at our door this year - but I have seen the odd witches mask in the shops.

Guy Fawkes isn't celebrated either - it's not relevant to Oz. I'm not sure if the fireworks law is Australia-wide but in Vic, you can't buy fireworks in shops. Only licencsed pyrotechnicians have access to fireworks and are allowed to set them off.
I think that ruling is oz wide.....but i have been told its not that difficult to get a license and have private displays....
Old Nov 21st 2003, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by HiddenPaw

Shame the same law doesnt apply over here, would stop my dog from trembling in a hidden corner for about 4weeks duration that the fireworks seem to go off for
When i was young i remeber going to a proper firework display on the 5th and that was it...we use to look forward to them these days my kids don't even bother looking out the window to watch them.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 6:33 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

http://www.fireworksaustralia.com.au/diy.htm
Old Nov 21st 2003, 6:37 pm
A Male Member

Originally posted by Madhouse!
Shame the same law doesnt apply over here, would stop my dog from trembling in a hidden corner for about 4weeks duration that the fireworks seem to go off for
When i was young i remeber going to a proper firework display on the 5th and that was it...we use to look forward to them these days my kids don't even bother looking out the window to watch them.
Laws a changed a bit....for the better.

Fireworks are now only going to be available for a 1 month period, and you can't use them after 11pm. Its a start.....
Old Nov 21st 2003, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by PeteY
Laws a changed a bit....for the better.

Fireworks are now only going to be available for a 1 month period, and you can't use them after 11pm. Its a start.....
Good news and about time too!!
Hopefully i won't be here next year tho

Claire
Old Nov 21st 2003, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Halloween here was more popular than in the area we lived in in the UK. We had lots of knocks at the door! A lot of parents seemed to be lurking at the end of the drive too, which is a good thing.

No Guy Fawkes for obvious reasons. You can buy sparklers all year round in the supermarket, so we had a couple of packets of those.

Playstation 2 - we brought ours out, it works fine as do the games we brought & the new games we've bought here.

Loopy
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Paul Cummins is an unknown quantity at this point

I stayed in Canberra this year and have never seen or heard more fireworks as i did there...on the queens birthday no less!!! lol