Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Halloween and fireworks

Halloween and fireworks

Old Oct 13th 2006, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

hindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nice
Default Halloween and fireworks

can anyone answer a question for my 9 year old daughter?
we are going on a 2 week reccy at the end of october and she will miss halloween and firework night. does anyone know if they celebrate either in OZ?
Any help would make her day, THANKS.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all
Default Re: Halloween and fireworks

Originally Posted by hindon
we are going on a 2 week reccy at the end of october and she will miss halloween and firework night. does anyone know if they celebrate either in OZ?
Halloween is celebrated here in Qld so I suspect the whole of OZ, when I mention Guy FAWKES to any Most Queenslanders, they look at me blank, He is not part of Australian History so most dont know of him. In Qld you can not legally have fireworks without a licence . There are often firework displays.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Fireworks unless organised events are a no no, some good organised displays at new year in most cities.

Halloween, last couple of years a few kids have started trick and treating, not a big thing at all. Our sons birthday is on halloween , at the party last year, one of our kids little aboriginal mates went trick and treating as micheal jackson, scared the living hell out of people who had never seen trick and treaters, let alone a mini satin clad MJ
Old Oct 14th 2006, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Where are you going? Halloween is becoming bigger over here as people have private parties but Guy Fawkes isn't big over here (wonder if bush fires have anything to do with it).

They do make up for it in other ways. Carols by Candlelight on a warm summer evening is just so much nicer than freezing in the rain for hours before the kids become hysterical with fear when the fireworks do go off.

Just remembering they did have fireworks at our Carols last year so it'll be something to look forward to when you finally move over.

Have a great trip.
Old Oct 14th 2006, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

If you are heading to the Gold Coast, then theres a first for Movieworld this year on Halloween, a special night opening.

Info Here

Looks good, we will be heading there.

Have a great trip anyway whatever you get up to.
Old Oct 14th 2006, 6:38 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Fireworks unless organised events are a no no, some good organised displays at new year in most cities.

That is another nanny-state regulation that was imposed on us in Queensland years ago. I can remember as a child (Australian)eagerly awaiting "firecracker night" in November(Guy Fawkes night). My best trick was tying a Double-Banger to a skyrocket and watching them both explode simultaneously in mid-air. It was also fun to put a Thunderbolt in to a tin and quickly put the lid back on and then see how high it jumped when it went off or putting a whole string of Tom Thumbs together.

Last edited by The Bloke; Oct 14th 2006 at 6:40 am.
Old Oct 14th 2006, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Bloke
That is another nanny-state regulation that was imposed on us in Queensland years ago. I can remember as a child (Australian)eagerly awaiting "firecracker night" in November(Guy Fawkes night). My best trick was tying a Double-Banger to a skyrocket and watching them both explode simultaneously in mid-air. It was also fun to put a Thunderbolt in to a tin and quickly put the lid back on and then see how high it jumped when it went off or putting a whole string of Tom Thumbs together.
Thank goodness then for the nanny state regulations
Old Oct 14th 2006, 6:55 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandy&Cliff
Thank goodness then for the nanny state regulations
I do miss them though at times. They were good fun and no-one got hurt, which is more than can be said for some "qualified" people mis-handling the real thing.
Old Oct 14th 2006, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

christinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond repute

I do miss them though at times. They were good fun and no-one got hurt, which is more than can be said for some "qualified" people mis-handling the real thing.

I miss them too. We had great fun as kids on " cracker night" as we called it. I think in NSW it was actually held on the June long weekend because I remember how cold it was and we would all huddle around the bonfire. But realistically, I understand why they stopped it as people did get hurt. Not only that, whilst we were launching our rockets from milk bottles, other people were launching them from cats orifices !! Add to this the fires and it really was a bit of a nightmare

As for Halloween, its only been the last couple of years that kids have started trick or treating or dressing up. Mind you though, last halloween I had two lots of kids knock on my door, and the year before that only one lot, which should give u an indication of just how popular it is here
Old Oct 14th 2006, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

hindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nice

We are hoping to move to the Sunshine Coast if thats any help?

Thanks for all your replys i shall let her read them when she wakes up.
Old Oct 14th 2006, 4:03 pm
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

That is another nanny-state regulation that was imposed on us in Queensland years ago.
Thats going to be figuring high on my list for moving to Qld then - we have fireworks here late at night all year round and with all the various religious festivals and Elton John up the road this time of year its non-stop.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 4:00 pm
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

I do find seemingly constant fireworks a bit annoying but as it's probably the last time I'll experience it for who knows how long, I'm getting all nostalgic about it!