Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Halloween in Brisbane

Halloween in Brisbane

Old Oct 24th 2004, 10:18 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Halloween in Brisbane

Anything going on for Halloween next week in Brisbane? Had a look on OurBrisbane and only found a family picnic in Mowbray Park. Surely there must be something happening? Failing that, anybody fancy a beer?
Old Oct 24th 2004, 10:33 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Halloween in Brisbane

Originally Posted by wmoore
Anything going on for Halloween next week in Brisbane? Had a look on OurBrisbane and only found a family picnic in Mowbray Park. Surely there must be something happening? Failing that, anybody fancy a beer?

I haven't heard anything, but its my birthday the day (Saturday) before have to go to a footy presentation night though but have been told we're going for drinks in the city afterwards the more the merrier!
Old Oct 24th 2004, 10:41 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mlbonner
I haven't heard anything, but its my birthday the day (Saturday) before have to go to a footy presentation night though but have been told we're going for drinks in the city afterwards the more the merrier!
Well by the time we land at about 630am on the 31st, you should be just getting home
Old Oct 25th 2004, 4:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

My broom is undergoing a refit and upgrade even as we speak...... I shall be out for a quick flight.. :scared:
Old Oct 25th 2004, 4:15 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
My broom is undergoing a refit and upgrade even as we speak...... I shall be out for a quick flight.. :scared:
HURRRRAAAHHHH! We may be on for that mud wrestling yet....!

Anya
Old Oct 25th 2004, 4:53 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

It isn't celebrated much here. Being a pagan I look forward to "Halloween"

It needs no silly modern celebrations. who have twisted the real meaning.

one lit candle will do - the air is full with feeling./souls who come close to the earth on this night .. oops .

But if you want the modern day dressing up, with so called witches ( witch is a christian ( god squad) name for these people, pagans - no witches exist, unless you are a christian , it is an insult to Pagans.. the word witch only came in with the church/ christians in history... who chose to hang pagans. the church has a lot to answer for.. the black cat is also a load of b*llux too -- it was all animals, christians bellieved that "witches" took the form of all animals, and people were hanged for even owning dogs, birds etc etc .. the black cat is "modern".. fairy tales.

If only half these people who call themselves witches only knew that .. it is a christian label on true pagans - an insult) . I see Manly is holding a halloween thing on the 30th( Saturday) , and not on 31st halloween with stalls and things.. if you like that sort of thing

Anyway, Australia .. modern type Halloween celebrations are not big here
cheers, neither is the true type

Anyway, for true type - just light a candle and welcome the dead who are close to the earth on this night.

ohhhhhhhhh, ohh. spooky music for you all.. Boo!

Last edited by Ceri; Oct 25th 2004 at 5:17 am.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 6:40 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Meant as a bit of a joke actually Ceri, and a play on the fact that I flew from the UK last Hallowe'en.

In my time I've done plenty of reading around black/white witches, pagan beliefs etc, though my speciality is astrology - the serious stuff not the trach you get in the paper each morning.

Even as a Christian vicar's daughter, I have always held great respect for the beliefs of pagans (much to my father's disgust!) and this post was in no way meant to belittle your beliefs in any way.

Sorry.
Broom packed away. "12 months on from The Great Flight" post now in recycle bin.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 9:08 am
What's happening dudes?

Meant as a bit of a joke actually Ceri, and a play on the fact that I flew from the UK last Hallowe'en.
Is that the reason for your avatar then? (Me um quick!)
I wasn't looking for anything spritual, just thought there might be some fun events on. Nothing wrong with dressing up for a celebration though, whatever your beliefs (think Fr Christmas / Saint Nick / Santa Claus and his elves).
Old Oct 26th 2004, 11:51 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

In my time I've done plenty of reading around black/white witches, pagan beliefs etc, though my speciality is astrology - the serious stuff not the trach you get in the paper each morning.

Even as a Christian vicar's daughter, I have always held great respect for the beliefs of pagans (much to my father's disgust!) and this post was in no way meant to belittle your beliefs in any way.

Sorry.
Broom packed away. "12 months on from The Great Flight" post now in recycle bin.
I wasn't actually referring to your username etc. I was talking in general, and forgot you had a username "witchy member" . You know the type of people who you see who say "I (they) am a witch " etc in all seriousness, and prance around really believing they are witches, joining so-called covens - seems to be an American "fashionable" thing mostly (this is a generalisation )..
I was talking in those respects of so called modern fashionable cults of the day who call themselves witches, and not aimed at you or anyone else with respect to the fantasy fun of witches and broomsticks fairy tales etc etc

Thats the trouble with these forums sometimes ;words sometimes get taken the wrong way.

I have a mate here who's wife is really religious. She won't even let her kids even read or watch Harry potter stuff. It's all evil she cries. She won't let them go trick or treating along their street with their mates.. poor kids, none of the fun stuff other kids get to do. When she was away in hospital I lent her kids "Nightmare before Christmas" DVD .. they loved it.. lol.

My family are religious,Christians ; evolution - they won't hear of it. Well my mum and mum's lot are anyway,( I was brought up with choices, and took my own road) .. Funny thing though my mum is highly into astronomy and all that even though she is religious, and comes from a religious background . I don't know why she is married to a Pisces though if she believes all the sign and star stuff... drains her sign.
They are like chalk and cheese, one is free spirit - my mum, the other, my dad, is an old-fashioned stick in the mud. weird..
Don't know why she puts up with him, mind you I wouldn't have be born if it wasn't for him.. perhaps "John the milk" is my real biological father..lol - I live in hope

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Oct 27th 2004 at 12:31 am.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 12:30 am
Home and Happy

No worries Ceri; just a bad day - got savaged so I left the forum, tentatively came back and seemed to be on the receiving end again at once!!

I do agree with you about the sort of "trendy witch" stuff - dancing round talking about covens and all that is so stupid, and nothing like real paganism.
All a question of balance isn't it. My dad used to go mad at me for following an interest in witchy stuff and astrology etc, though he calmed down a bit when he found out it was a real interest and I wasn't going to start sacrificing chickens and all that!! ALl his fault though - I used to pinch his Denis Wheatley books, and thats what sparked a serious interest!

Very sad when Christianity gets taken to the extremes of banning the likes of Harry Potter, isn't it. i know a lot of places in the US are very anti-Potter. They seem to forget that the books are well written, and they get kids reading, which is always important.

I have fished my "12 months on" out of the bin by the way........should make an appearance around Hallowe'en. Must fly now - broom needs some new bristles!
Old Oct 27th 2004, 1:59 am
Y Ddraig Goch

No worries Ceri; just a bad day - got savaged so I left the forum, tentatively came back and seemed to be on the receiving end again at once!!

I)
Take it with a pinch of salt. I wouldn't let it, or them upset you if I were you . There are too many old posters who B8gger off because of this

I think you are one of the most balanced posters here, posting the ups as well as the downs. It would be a shame to stop posting for what ever reasons, or because of a person or persons who had a go at you ( I don't know what happened, and I don't want to know either)
Good luck

Last edited by Ceri; Oct 27th 2004 at 2:10 am.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 2:51 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Ceri
Take it with a pinch of salt. I wouldn't let it, or them upset you if I were you . There are too many old posters who B8gger off because of this

I think you are one of the most balanced posters here, posting the ups as well as the downs. It would be a shame to stop posting for what ever reasons, or because of a person or persons who had a go at you ( I don't know what happened, and I don't want to know either)
Good luck
I'm too addicted to the place to beggar off, thats the trouble! Too many mates on here

Had to laugh today - girl at work from NSW, and she said to me that her little boy has to dress up for Hallowe'en at Kindy on Friday.....what should she dress him as. When I said stuff like a witch's hat, and give him a black cloak and all the traditional stuff, she was really impressed. Apparently they just don't mark Hallowe'en much at all out here.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 3:00 am
Y Ddraig Goch

I'm too addicted to the place to beggar off, thats the trouble! Too many mates on here

Had to laugh today - girl at work from NSW, and she said to me that her little boy has to dress up for Hallowe'en at Kindy on Friday.....what should she dress him as. When I said stuff like a witch's hat, and give him a black cloak and all the traditional stuff, she was really impressed. Apparently they just don't mark Hallowe'en much at all out here.
The warehouse has some hats, and masks , costumes etc, cobwebs, and candles.

But I think you need to go to the big one in Caboollture. I had a flyer the other day with the goods.D . I drove all the way over to Kallangur ( which has a new warehouse store) last Sunday ... b*gger all, except a few candles with spiders on.

The warehouse in caboolture stocks more.

no they don't take much notice of it here, nothing like the UK. what happens.. like our neighbours, and their kids they celebrate it,, and just walk the one street, our st .. last place I was in no such thing.. NSW different again, we had doorknockers

P.S

Try finding a decent pumpkin this time of year ( it's off season)

Last edited by Ceri; Oct 27th 2004 at 3:10 am.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 3:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Its certainly more american than australian, Jacks birthday is on halloween, we threw a big fancy dress party for, apple bobbin, pumpkins, even we dressed up 12 little aussies came apart from one little girl in a ballet skirt not one had bothered with fancy dress at all. This year playing safe with a pool party and sausage sizzle
Old Oct 27th 2004, 3:20 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Its certainly more american than australian, Jacks birthday is on halloween, we threw a big fancy dress party for, apple bobbin, pumpkins, even we dressed up 12 little aussies came apart from one little girl in a ballet skirt not one had bothered with fancy dress at all. This year playing safe with a pool party and sausage sizzle
Halloween is a very British thing.. it's just that the yanks have hijacked it.

Try a Swede or a potatoes for a "jack o lantern" .. originally it was cut out potatoes in the UK. ..talking about centuries ago. The "jack" pumpkin is a very American thing.

Buy Jack " nightmare before Christmas" DVD if he hasn't seen it already.. namesake for him. Old Jack the pumpkin (jack 0 lantern) discovers Christmas land.. He is from Halloween land, and wants to know what this christmas thing is all about, and to bring it back to Halloween land.. which does not mix.
cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Oct 27th 2004 at 3:32 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.