Halloween

Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Re: Halloween

We live in a new "estate" on the Gold Coast and Halloween is big here! Last year we all met up at the park and went around Trick n' treating together. My kids got so many lollies we only went down 2 streets! There are a lot of children here so I expect that is why it is popular and also not many oldies!

When I lived on the Sunny Coast it was not popular at all, a few old people called it Devil worshipping when we knocked on their doors!
Old Sep 29th 2011, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
Halloween is just one of those traditions that didn't get carried over into Australia for whatever reason.

Groups of kids/teenagers go out 'trick or treating', depending on where you live you may get a few, a lot, or none at all. Most of them dress up in costume but some don't even bother to do that.

A few kids/teenagers might also have Halloween parties (any excuse for a party hey!), but they are the minority basically.

So in conclusion, it is certainly not a big deal. I would recommend stocking up on confectionery products so you don't get some angry brat kids throwing eggs at you or whatever but overall it is very low key.
And of course, the bonus is if no one bothers to stop by, you've got chocolate to nosh yourself for a week afterwards. Of course, hubby manages to go through a bag of it on his own beforehand.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
Understand all that Polly...but it IS British Expats is it not? So to start poo pooing 'the brits' on a website for them does get a response from me.
I'm not going to bother replying to the rest of your post as Polly asked this line of discussion be halted and I respect her wishes.

I would like to point out, that as an open forum, for all nationalities, this also includes allowing said nationalities the freedom to answer questions about their country posed by others. There have been about a half dozen "moving to Oz from Canada" or "Which is better, Australia or Canada?" threads on here over the past two years and yet I don't recall anyone previous to this objecting to those detailed discussions.

As for "poo-pooing" Brits, not at all. I do recall posting that if one nationality is not allowed to mention their home country then it should extend to all out of equality and fairness. The vast majority of Brits in my life are intelligent, tolerant, considerate people (well, maybe not my stepbrother), friendly, with a quick wit and sense of humor (hmm...okay he fits there). Asking for exclusion does not serve anyone. And if anyone should be "offended," try reading the million and one posts in the Canada forum about how dull, stupid, culturally-vacant, ignorant, historically-disadvantaged, and insipid Canadians are. Oh and our food sucks, we're horrible dressers (Quebec women excluded), our education system is terrible, the climate horrific, our traditions vapid, and we apparently make lousy ovens. But I don't care. Whatever.

And yes, perhaps tongue-in-cheek does not come across well online, seeing as most of my posts were written in the same manner as well.

Last edited by Japonica; Sep 29th 2011 at 2:36 am.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 2:50 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
I'm not going to bother replying to the rest of your post as Polly asked this line of discussion be halted and I respect her wishes.

I would like to point out, that as an open forum, for all nationalities, this also includes allowing said nationalities the freedom to answer questions about their country posed by others. There have been about a half dozen "moving to Oz from Canada" or "Which is better, Australia or Canada?" threads on here over the past two years and yet I don't recall anyone previous to this objecting to those detailed discussions.

As for "poo-pooing" Brits, not at all. I do recall posting that if one nationality is not allowed to mention their home country then it should extend to all out of equality and fairness. The vast majority of Brits in my life are intelligent, tolerant, considerate people (well, maybe not my stepbrother), friendly, with a quick wit and sense of humor (hmm...okay he fits there). Asking for exclusion does not serve anyone. And if anyone should be "offended," try reading the million and one posts in the Canada forum about how dull, stupid, culturally-vacant, ignorant, historically-disadvantaged, and insipid Canadians are. Oh and our food sucks, we're horrible dressers (Quebec women excluded), our education system is terrible, the climate horrific, our traditions vapid, and we apparently make lousy ovens. But I don't care. Whatever.

And yes, perhaps tongue-in-cheek does not come across well online, seeing as most of my posts were written in the same manner as well.
so we are all good then

Jeez...whats Polly getting soooo upset about....I think squabbling is great!
Old Sep 29th 2011, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

so we are all good then

You know she's rolling her eyes right now, right?
Old Sep 29th 2011, 1:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

so we are all good then

Maybe I'm fed up with getting people complaining to me about certain comments being made on the forum. Telling people of certain nationalities that they aren't welcome on BE is a can or worms that spills into my inbox whenever its opened, and I'm a bit tired of it.

Old Oct 1st 2011, 6:50 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Maybe I'm fed up with getting people complaining to me about certain comments being made on the forum. Telling people of certain nationalities that they aren't welcome on BE is a can or worms that spills into my inbox whenever its opened, and I'm a bit tired of it.

grumpy!
Old Oct 1st 2011, 7:27 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

grumpy!
I'll put a spell on you in a minute
Old Oct 1st 2011, 8:01 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

so we are all good then

She's must still be in the UK, that will dampen the mood considerably.

Hurry back Polly!
Old Oct 1st 2011, 7:50 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by DeadVim
She's must still be in the UK, that will dampen the mood considerably.

Hurry back Polly!
Its the thought of having to fly back in 10 days time....step up the strikes Qantas
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 1:21 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its the thought of having to fly back in 10 days time....step up the strikes Qantas
It's glorious here, no disasters or anyfink

Having said that, my lasagne last night wasn't up to scratch but it was edible.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 1:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

When we went trick or treating on the USAF base as a kid we used to have to go to their medical centre and they would xray our loot... In case of razor blades and pins in candy.... All completely free of charge...

Wonder what eating xradiated food did to us long term?????
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by eddie007
When we went trick or treating on the USAF base as a kid we used to have to go to their medical centre and they would xray our loot... In case of razor blades and pins in candy.... All completely free of charge...

Wonder what eating xradiated food did to us long term?????
This was commonplace for me growing up in the US. I went to the emergency room every Halloween to have my candy x-rayed. I never thought of it as bizarre as it was routine for us but my British hubby still thinks it is quite weird.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PunkDebutante
This was commonplace for me growing up in the US. I went to the emergency room every Halloween to have my candy x-rayed. I never thought of it as bizarre as it was routine for us but my British hubby still thinks it is quite weird.
We never had anything x-rayed. We were living in the 'burbs in the 70s. My neighbors still baked homemade treats and handed them out with their address and phone number taped to the plastic wrap. Imagine today--people would probably call it to complain or report them to the police, then throw them out. One year my mother made candied apples to distribute. The kids loved them--we did too--but they were tough on the teeth.

My mother halfheartedly checked our loot for the rumored razor blades and needles, but she didn't inspect every piece. Somehow we survived. Perhaps it was avoiding those tootsie rolls...man they were terrible. They were always the last bits of candy in the bag to be found under the bed into December.

Last edited by Japonica; Oct 3rd 2011 at 4:34 am.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Japonica
Perhaps it was avoiding those tootsie rolls...man they were terrible. They were always the last bits of candy in the bag to be found under the bed into December.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE tootsie rolls. I used to steal everyone's from their bags. I grew up in the burbs in Florida in the mid-late 80's and it was so commonplace to have the haul x-rayed but then we had a ton of sickos messing with the candy at the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.