British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Half hearted PR application (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/half-hearted-pr-application-613046/)

alexleeson Jun 5th 2009 12:47 am

Half hearted PR application

I am on a 457 visa which runs out in November. My employer offered to sponsor me for PR and pay for all the costs. I didn't ask for it. I guess my boss wants to ensure I stay and to give me some 'security'. I said yes, as I didn't want to appear ungrateful.

I don't know why I have been so half hearted about it. I know that PR is a good thing, but I am just shocked at myself. I was appointed a migration agent in april and he gave me all the documents and lists of things to do - I couldn't bring myself to even read it until last week. The agent is annoyed with me for not getting my docs together and not applying for police reports and the like. I am just apethetic to it all.

I have an okay life here - nice job, nice home etc, so I just don't know why I am acting this way. Its as if secretly I want my application to fail, so that I have an excuse to leave Australia and go back home to UK!

rotoiti Jun 5th 2009 12:51 am

Re: Half hearted PR application

Eh, be pragmatic, get your PR together, wait a year and apply for citizenship. Then you can come back to the UK and Australia whenever you please. That'll keep your options open.

RenShen Jun 5th 2009 2:33 am

In this situation I don't think you have anything to lose and for just a bit of effort on your part you give yourself multiple options for the future.

Prepare yourself for other answers though. Some people here on 457s would give a lot to be in your position (me included).

dogscogs Jun 5th 2009 3:09 am

It's odd, I have a friend at work on a 457. He's been here in Sydney for 2 years and I suggested to him why not go for his PR. He's complaining about the agent he's with and how they are stiffing him on costs (he's a contractor and they are taking a hefy chunk of change for their own margin) and how if ie loses his job his contract his options get pretty narrow indeed.

He says it's a constant source of worry yet he doesn't seem to be bothered about getting it sorted. Seriously if it's being gifted on a plate I say take it, it opens plenty more doors and it keeps them open..... regardless of what you choose to do.

There are lots of stories on here about people that would give their right arm for such an opportunity, people that have tried and have been turned down.

Pragmatism is the right way to go here, there is nothing like looking back in ten years time and wishing things were different.....

alexleeson Jun 5th 2009 3:32 am

Thanks for the responses. I will have to just be pragmatic and get over whatever feelings I have towards it!

Damson Jun 5th 2009 9:21 am

Is it because you feel that you are finally having to give a firm commitment to Oz and up until now it has been a "see if I like it" exercise? It could be that it is bringing things into sharper focus and actually, you may prefer to return after all. Citizenship does have a more permanent element to it, but it is of course still "just a bit of paper" (sorry, don't mean to be flippant) but allows you so many more options. I would definately go for citizenship so as to not close doors but, if it helps, just think of it as a way of keeping those option open. Good Luck

rotoiti Jun 5th 2009 1:42 pm

I used to think the same way. I came on an H1-B visa to the US in 1999. Almost immediately after coming I was offered green card processing by my company. I was like you, I couldn't get my documents together, finally filed for green card in May 2000. Had I filed in 1999 when it was offered I would be green card holder in 2001 and citizen in 2006, by now I would be in Australia for 3 years! Since I filed in 2000 my case was still processing when attacks of September 11, 2001 happened. All visa processing ground to a halt. Finally, I got my green card in 2004 and I am just now able to apply for US citizenship.

Moral is, be pragmatic, don't delay, you never know what the future has in store for you.

JAJ Jun 6th 2009 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Lorrielou (Post 7636496)
Is it because you feel that you are finally having to give a firm commitment to Oz and up until now it has been a "see if I like it" exercise? It could be that it is bringing things into sharper focus and actually, you may prefer to return after all. Citizenship does have a more permanent element to it, but it is of course still "just a bit of paper" (sorry, don't mean to be flippant) but allows you so many more options. I would definately go for citizenship so as to not close doors but, if it helps, just think of it as a way of keeping those option open. Good Luck

One thing to bear in mind when contemplating a 457 to PR switch is that usually that brings you into the full scope of the Australian tax system on overseas income and capital gains.

Also, you can't recover your superannuation payments when you leave.

It's the right option for most, and obviously gives you much greater security in Australia, but if you have definitely decided not to stay then you might want to think about these issues. It's a relatively new distinction in tax terms.

The Bloke Jun 7th 2009 6:06 am

Originally Posted by rotoiti (Post 7635437)
Eh, be pragmatic, get your PR together, wait a year and apply for citizenship. Then you can come back to the UK and Australia whenever you please. That'll keep your options open.

Unless I'm mistaken, I think it is now 4 years PR not 1 before citizenship?

JAJ, please correct me if I'm wrong.:)

EverydaySunshine Jun 7th 2009 6:51 am

Consider yourself very lucky to be in this situation. A lot of people I know would love to be in your position! but due immigration and skills etc they cannot live in Australia.

asprilla Jun 7th 2009 9:28 am

Originally Posted by alexleeson (Post 7635427)
I have an okay life here - nice job, nice home etc, so I just don't know why I am acting this way. Its as if secretly I want my application to fail, so that I have an excuse to leave Australia and go back home to UK!

hmm... sounds like you've gone a little bit crazy mate. You can always go home, excuse or not. Permanent residency doesn't mean that they confiscate your passport from you !

best of luck.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Jun 7th 2009 10:02 am

Originally Posted by The Bloke (Post 7641379)
Unless I'm mistaken, I think it is now 4 years PR not 1 before citizenship?

JAJ, please correct me if I'm wrong.:)

Four years with at least two as a PR.

JAJ Jun 7th 2009 11:53 am

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 7641762)
Four years with at least two as a PR.

4 years with at least 1 as a PR.