Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hairdressing Versus Nursing?

Hairdressing Versus Nursing?

Old Jan 18th 2006, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Jim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really nice
Default Hairdressing Versus Nursing?

Hey everyone,

Looking for some advice from all would-be / already-are Nurses and Hairdressers!

The only way my husband, myself and kids can emigrate to Brisbane would be to go through the Student Visa route. When we spoke to an agent, he was strongly urging us along studying the 2yrs hairdressing course route.

However, noticed that someone said on a thread that they're going to be studying nursing (3 yrs as they had no experience - which would be the same as me). And that they could earn much more when qualified as a nurse than a hairdresser. Also, they'd applied directly to the University/college so didn't use an agent (thus saving a few quid!)

There's also a big difference in course costs - nursing = $50,000, hairdressing = $15,000.

Has anyone on BE gone through either of the above routes? I'd appreciate any views as my head is now working overtime!

Susan
Old Jan 18th 2006, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hairdressing Versus Nursing?

havent gone through the same susan but

HAIRDRESSING HAIRDRESSING HAIRDRESSING ALL THE WAY

I'm a nurse by the way and although i quite enjoy my job at the moment, the politics in nursing and the pay are shit in my opinion and its not just in the uk! and things arent getting any better either!

if i were you, look into both courses and see which grabs your attention the most, whichever one you choose, you'll get varicous veins

good luck

debbie
Old Jan 18th 2006, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

chris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Hairdressing Versus Nursing?

I tell you what......I was in the same boat...word for word!!!!!!!!!

We had the same problem, i bet were using the same agent! My partner was more than happy about doing the hairdressing, she's doing the twin course, salon management in Brisbane/hairdressing in Southport. When are you looking at heading over, we are trying for a September start.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends entirely on what you want to do in your life, I would have thought! I am a Hairdresser but I do this by choice, I wouldn't be a Nurse for love nor money.

I have two sisters who are Nurses in Australia and one of them hates it. So it all depends if you can hack the Hairdressing or the Nursing. I took the easy route and did the hairdressing. I found it hard going sometimes and if I don't get in via the route of a visa for some bazaar reason then I am going on a student visa as a Hairdresser. I can tell you though, it is alot of money, commitment and hard work. What ever you do good luck and I hope you get there.

Good luck with it chick

hugs Lace xx
Old Jan 18th 2006, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Karen and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really nice

Hi Susan
Just thought it might be useful to remember what is involved in nursing. 3 years of degree level studying and working for your placements at the same time then fairly average wages, shift work and the type of work you will need to do. I am a nurse and enjoy my job, except on the early shift christmas day when I'd rather be at home opening presents. If you are a nurse you'll know you are up to it as what you get out of patient care can be tremendous but if it's just for a visa give yourself a break and go with hairdressing. (no offence meant to hairdressers I admit to being envious of the creative talent required for these things.)
Good Luck what ever you decide.
Karen
Old Jan 18th 2006, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not just creative talent anymore, you have to sit really really hard tests too. If you don't pass the first or second time round then you have to take the whole course again the year after. Two people at our college had to do this and they were only doing it to get to Australia.

My sister is a nurse and she said the same as you about the shifts and stuff. I bow to you because I know how hard you work for a living..

I AM NOT WORTHY LOL

hugs Lace x
Old Jan 18th 2006, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

alinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lacey21
It's not just creative talent anymore, you have to sit really really hard tests too. If you don't pass the first or second time round then you have to take the whole course again the year after. Two people at our college had to do this and they were only doing it to get to Australia.

My sister is a nurse and she said the same as you about the shifts and stuff. I bow to you because I know how hard you work for a living..

I AM NOT WORTHY LOL

hugs Lace x
Hi All

It must be something about siblings, my sis is a great nurse and i m a hairdresser. One thing i would say your either a nurse or a hairdresser!!!!
I couldn`t do my sis job and she certainly couldn`t do mine, so think long and hard what you are capable of. Tracy
Old Jan 18th 2006, 10:00 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim&Sus
Hey everyone,

Looking for some advice from all would-be / already-are Nurses and Hairdressers!

The only way my husband, myself and kids can emigrate to Brisbane would be to go through the Student Visa route. When we spoke to an agent, he was strongly urging us along studying the 2yrs hairdressing course route.

However, noticed that someone said on a thread that they're going to be studying nursing (3 yrs as they had no experience - which would be the same as me). And that they could earn much more when qualified as a nurse than a hairdresser. Also, they'd applied directly to the University/college so didn't use an agent (thus saving a few quid!)

There's also a big difference in course costs - nursing = $50,000, hairdressing = $15,000.

Has anyone on BE gone through either of the above routes? I'd appreciate any views as my head is now working overtime!

Susan
In my opinion, I would go for hairdressing.

I started my nurse training in Sept as my Plan B to Australia in case hubby failed his skills assessment.

Nursing is not as easy as it sounds, although I didnt find the academic side hard, its the way in which you are treated.

Saying that, training to be a nurse in the UK you would get a bursary and your training paid for.

How you are treated as a student nurse in Oz, I cant comment.

All I know is when I wanted compassionate leave for my mum, it wasnt granted so I left and am glad I did.

Now had I been nursing in Australia and in the same situation, I would have lost my visa.

Nursing is emotionally draining and for most people very rewarding.

I think nursing is a vocation and whilst I enjoyed the short time I was at Uni, I was doing it for the wrong reasons .

Hairdressing is a different ball game. You can cut off at the end of the day and forget it.

Nursing you cant do this and its only when you see your loved one in hospital, it becomes quite clear that some of the nurses do not deserve to wear the uniform because its evident they dont want to be there.

Re-train yourself to get to Australia and choose the easiest and cheapest option available to you. I do know one or two people who are going via the hairdressing route, I shall find the website of the college in Oz they are using for you.

With regards to nursing, do it because you really really want to.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 3:37 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

did anyone see that the DIMIA are investigating changes to the visa rules for those in australia on student visas seeking permanent residency

it's all at

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...5E2702,00.html

if you want to read about it.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jim&Sus
Hey everyone,

Susan

Hi Susan,

I done the 2 year Hairdressing Course studied at the Gold Coast School of Hairdressing, came on the student visa with my hubby and 2 kids, completed the course and got my qualifications but not doing hairdressing as the money and hours don't suit me with having younger kids, but I do have friends who are making good money being mobile. Don't use an agent as its a waste of money, I did it all on my own with no problems at all, just contact the college and they do most of the paperwork for you, you only need to do some things and apply for the visa, I paid $15,000 and now you can get your PR in 18 months studying at the school for 25 hours a week. If its only for PR reasons I would go with the hairdressing all the way as its easy and stress free but if your looking for career options it depends what you want at the end of it all.

If you need any info at all PM me.

Good luck

Lisa
Old Jan 19th 2006, 5:26 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
All I know is when I wanted compassionate leave for my mum, it wasnt granted so I left and am glad I did.

Now had I been nursing in Australia and in the same situation, I would have lost my visa.
How do you lose a visa for taking compassionate leave? My other half was a nurse in the UK and now works as a nurse here. We wouldn't lose the visa if she takes leave or goes back to the UK for a holiday/funeral etc.

I do agree wholeheartedly with one comment made - only be a nurse if it's something you feel you can't not do.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 8:00 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

as a nurse, id say there is no question - go for the hairdressing.
nursing, as others have said is emotionally draining, bloody hard work, and you get very little thanks when you have worked your arse off.
nursing isnt about mopping brows any more - its all management and technical stuff.....true nursing is now done by unqualified staff, and as a real pro-old school nurse it breaks my heart to see how the profession has gone.
I resigned from my last nursing job cos i was sick of being a robot who didnt have time to fart, never mind actually speak to a patient.
I could go off on a rant here, shall reign myself in and resist.
needless to say, go down the hairdressing route - at least the stress isnt as bad (yes, i know its not an easy job either, but its better than spending the night crying cos yet another patient you were close to had died) and once you get to aus, you can probably do something completely different.
if your heart isnt in nursing, then its not an option.

sorry, waffled on a bit there.....

sue
Old Jan 19th 2006, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Jim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really nice

Have just read through all the replies (thanks for taking time to give views). After reading them all, I think I've come to the conclusion to go with our first plan and take the hairdressing route. I don't think my heart was really into studying nursing.

I'd appreciate the website information from you, Professional Princess, if you can find/remember it? If we can apply direct through the college, then we'd save ourselves around £3,500 agents fees!

We're actually going for a holiday on 24th march for 3 weeks. We're touring about first visiting brothers, in-laws, family my husband has never met, etc, but will be in Brisbane from 7th-15th April, before flying home, so were hoping to look at suburbs, schools, college(s)? too! Hope it won't be too hectic!

I'm hoping when we come back here we've decided more definitely our course of action re area to move to, and then hopefully get our visas in time to make the final move by August (to try and tie in with school terms).

To people who've gone the student hairdressing route themselves, does this sound plausible re timescales? Hope so.

Susan
Old Jan 19th 2006, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Flowerofscotland has some great advice Susan, I spoke to her last year and went with what she was saying as she was doing the student route already

Hugs Lace xx
Old Jan 19th 2006, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Hi Lacey,

Have sent a PM to Flowerofscotland (aka Lisa!) so hopefully she'll give me some helpful advice.

Susan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.