Reload this Page >

Hairdressing and travel agency wages

Hairdressing and travel agency wages

Old Mar 2nd 2009, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

FilSheff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hairdressing and travel agency wages

Hey,

Has anyone got any idea as to the kind of wages we should expect for hairdressing and travel agency work, and what that would equivalate to per week. Currently trying to work out what rental prices we could perhaps afford once we're there. Looking at Perth / Mandurah and surrounding areas. Unable to find any of this information on the forum, so sorry if it has been posted elsewhere.

Thanks!

Last edited by FilSheff; Mar 2nd 2009 at 9:16 am. Reason: Addition
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

aarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really nice
Default Re: Hairdressing and travel agency wages

I would say the money for both these jobs is at the lower end. If you've got a loyal following they'll pay you well but obviously you won't have that to offer when you first get here. You're generally looking at around $30-$40,000 for a hairdresser plus a bit of commission. When I arrived 2 years ago I was horrified at the wages. I could have earned the same at a fast food joint. My only option was to open my own place which is much easier here. A lot of salons are small and just the owner works in them. The rent's dirt cheap compared to the UK. There's always a few salons for sale in the paper. Most state WIWO which means 'walk in walk out.' The person selling literally walks out and you walk in. The woman I bought my salon off hadn't even emptied the ****** reception bin! But saying that the clients here are very loyal to their salon and will let whoever takes over do their hair. They'll love the fact you're British and will want to know all about the UK. That's the only way you'll make a decent living. I paid $8000 for mine and take about $1500 a week, working about 25 hours. The rent's dirt cheap. It's sticking your neck out a bit but going to work at a new salon is always a bit stressful anyway. What've you got to lose apart from a few grand?
That's my 2 pence worth anyway, feel free to message me anytime as I'm always interested in other hairdressers and how they get on here. I also know loads about the products they use here.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 9:46 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

The award wage in Vic is approx $15 per hour for a fully qualified Hairdresser.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 11:16 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
The award wage in Vic is approx $15 per hour for a fully qualified Hairdresser.
Which is why they're on the demand list. The Aussies don't want to do the hard work standing on your feet all day, hands in chemicals for $15 per hour.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

My husband is a barber and he has been offered an interview for when we get to Melbourne and the lady there told us that someone with over 10 years experience like he has can get between $16-$25 ph, apparently wages are negotiable. He has his own shop at the moment but I dunno if he'd want to open his own in oz I think he'd rather someone else have the ballache!

Last edited by suzyambrose; Mar 2nd 2009 at 4:52 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

lisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to all

i worked in the tweed area northern nsw and i was earning $18 an hour and that was in a local shop type area! when we return to oz though i also will be opening my own salon on the gold coast somewhere. best to work for someone else first though to get a feel for the place as they use different terminology which can be confusing in the beginning.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

FilSheff is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
My husband is a barber and he has been offered an interview for when we get to Melbourne and the lady there told us that someone with over 10 years experience like he has can get between $16-$25 ph, apparently wages are negotiable. He has his own shop at the moment but I dunno if he'd want to open his own in oz I think he'd rather someone else have the ballache!
Yeah, my OH has almost 10 years experience now, so by the sounds of it, hairdressing wages are better there than here!

I think he'll be looking at working for someone first, and then who knows? He's been working for himself for the past three years doing mobile, and is taking on a salon manager's job next week, so he'll have the experience.

Has anyone got any ideas as to the travel agent work at all? That'll be my department!
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:42 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

If you're interested in travel agency work consider Fcm - the corporate arm of Flightcentre.

Starting salary is around $40k.

Once you have sufficient clients, you move onto a basic retainer + commission package. I know consultants with a good client base who are earning close to $100k a year! Average is probably a lot less than that, maybe more like $65k - 70k.

The retail arm would be a lot lot less.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

aarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really nice

Just do it, everyone seems to make a living one way or another and it will be an experience you'll never forget. I can't seeing it being any harder to manage here than it is in the UK. I'd rather be hard up in the sun than the rain. It depends what you have to lose and what you feel you're leaving behind. If it doesn't work out you can always go back and at least you will have given it a go!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

Ivoryhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aarancam
I would say the money for both these jobs is at the lower end. If you've got a loyal following they'll pay you well but obviously you won't have that to offer when you first get here. You're generally looking at around $30-$40,000 for a hairdresser plus a bit of commission. When I arrived 2 years ago I was horrified at the wages. I could have earned the same at a fast food joint. My only option was to open my own place which is much easier here. A lot of salons are small and just the owner works in them. The rent's dirt cheap compared to the UK. There's always a few salons for sale in the paper. Most state WIWO which means 'walk in walk out.' The person selling literally walks out and you walk in. The woman I bought my salon off hadn't even emptied the ****** reception bin! But saying that the clients here are very loyal to their salon and will let whoever takes over do their hair. They'll love the fact you're British and will want to know all about the UK. That's the only way you'll make a decent living. I paid $8000 for mine and take about $1500 a week, working about 25 hours. The rent's dirt cheap. It's sticking your neck out a bit but going to work at a new salon is always a bit stressful anyway. What've you got to lose apart from a few grand?
That's my 2 pence worth anyway, feel free to message me anytime as I'm always interested in other hairdressers and how they get on here. I also know loads about the products they use here.
Hi aarancam,
Was just reading your post about work, i'm a hairdresser and trying to look for a job in nz for my visa application. I have a level 2 in uk but a level 3 in nz, do you no if there is much call for hairdressers at that level or do you have to be graded higher? i,ve not had alot of salon experiance been doing family and friends at home. THANKS
Old Mar 4th 2009, 10:09 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ivoryhouse
Hi aarancam,
Was just reading your post about work, i'm a hairdresser and trying to look for a job in nz for my visa application. I have a level 2 in uk but a level 3 in nz, do you no if there is much call for hairdressers at that level or do you have to be graded higher? i,ve not had alot of salon experiance been doing family and friends at home. THANKS
You're better to post this in the New Zealand forum. Not many of the posters in the Aus forum know what's required for NZ.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 10:21 pm
Gone Walkabout

aussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really nice

Award wages for hairdressing in QLD range from $15 to $21 or £7.50 to £10, makes for horrifying reading and forget tips, Aussies don't tip anyone so you need to look for a salon that pays commission bonuses...
Old Mar 5th 2009, 4:01 am
ABCDiamond

I noticed the position of Hairdressers wages on a national list the other day, I am just looking for the file now...

It was for 2006.

There were 86 employment categorories in the list.

The highest earning group was Medical practitioners at $55.80 per hour
The lowest group, at position 86, was $17.20 per hour, and yes, that was the Hairdressers.....

Travel workers came out at $22.90 ph at position 52 out of 86.

Old Mar 5th 2009, 7:14 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Come on guys, the girl asked for hairdressing wages in Perth and you give her Victoria, Queensland and New South Wales.

Please find attached the hairdreeser's award for WA. You have to pass tests when you get here, you have to get a licence and renew it every year and they do fine you if they catch you working without it. The wages on the award are the minimums and people will pay the minimum. You cannot 'rent-a-chair' here in WA. It does go on, but it is illegal.

Here is a link to the Hairdressers Registration Board in WA. http://www.hrb.org.au/content.php?page=28

A few of words of advise;

Unless you work in the city, people want cheap haircuts.

The best way to go is your own salon from home. You only need to charge a couple of dollars less than the shops and people will come to you.

Be prepared for anyone you work for, to take the piss.

Apart from that....good luck.

Steve.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
WA Hairdresser's Award.pdf (280.5 KB, 681 views)
File Type: pdf
Haidresser's Award.pdf (138.4 KB, 116 views)
Old Mar 5th 2009, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Ivoryhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SteveBannister
Come on guys, the girl asked for hairdressing wages in Perth and you give her Victoria, Queensland and New South Wales.

Please find attached the hairdreeser's award for WA. You have to pass tests when you get here, you have to get a licence and renew it every year and they do fine you if they catch you working without it. The wages on the award are the minimums and people will pay the minimum. You cannot 'rent-a-chair' here in WA. It does go on, but it is illegal.

Here is a link to the Hairdressers Registration Board in WA. http://www.hrb.org.au/content.php?page=28

A few of words of advise;

Unless you work in the city, people want cheap haircuts.

The best way to go is your own salon from home. You only need to charge a couple of dollars less than the shops and people will come to you.

Be prepared for anyone you work for, to take the piss.

Apart from that....good luck.

Steve.
H i Steve,
Thanks for that will have a big read up, it sounds like its not alot different to here in uk that people want something for nothing and employers do the same. We are looking at NZ and AUS as well. Is it easy to work from home.

Thanks again

Celia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.