Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hairdressing and travel agency wages

Hairdressing and travel agency wages

Old Mar 9th 2009, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Carl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really nice
Default Re: Hairdressing and travel agency wages

Originally Posted by markinhull
My wife works for flight centre and she earns more as a travel consultant here than she did managing a branch back in the UK!!!

her basic take home is around $2000 per month but it is the commission that is a lot better. Each store has a cost of seat. money that you make up to the cost of seat you earn 10% of, everything above that 35%

so if cost of seat is say $10000 and she makes $15000 profit in a month she gets 10% of the first $10000 and then 35% of the last $5000.

As someone else on here mentioned, do not expect to start earning the big bucks straight away. Once you build your client list up, this is when you start earning.
Hello
Are you from Hull in the UK?
I am from Bridlington
Old Mar 9th 2009, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

FilSheff is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by markinhull
My wife works for flight centre and she earns more as a travel consultant here than she did managing a branch back in the UK!!!

her basic take home is around $2000 per month but it is the commission that is a lot better. Each store has a cost of seat. money that you make up to the cost of seat you earn 10% of, everything above that 35%

so if cost of seat is say $10000 and she makes $15000 profit in a month she gets 10% of the first $10000 and then 35% of the last $5000.

As someone else on here mentioned, do not expect to start earning the big bucks straight away. Once you build your client list up, this is when you start earning.
Hi Mark,

Have been told that it's more difficult to build up a client base within a well-established branch - did your wife also find this was the case? Which city are you guys based in?

And what's this cost of seat you talk about?

Thanks..
Old Mar 10th 2009, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

markinhull is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I am originally from Hull in the UK. I have been in Sydney now for just over a year.

It is hard to build up your client base, especially in a store with a low turnover of staff as once the customer has booked at that store once, they are your customer until you leave. If you are in a store with a high turnover of staff then building up the client base is easier as they are up for grabs when they come back to book.

The cost of seat is how much the company thinks it costs for you to have a seat in that store. This includes your salary and overhead costs that come with running that shop (rent, utilities etc).

Hope that helps.
Mark
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:07 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You're better to post this in the New Zealand forum. Not many of the posters in the Aus forum know what's required for NZ.
Originally Posted by Ivoryhouse
Hi aarancam,
Was just reading your post about work, i'm a hairdresser and trying to look for a job in nz for my visa application. I have a level 2 in uk but a level 3 in nz, do you no if there is much call for hairdressers at that level or do you have to be graded higher? i,ve not had alot of salon experiance been doing family and friends at home. THANKS
Calling in from the NZ forum.

Ivoryhouse has had her Hairdressing quals assessed by NZQA - New Zealand Qualification Authority - and they were given an NZ register level 3. The skilled migrant category for New Zealand works on a points system. A level 3 for hairdressing is not enough for her to gain points for the skill. It needs to be a level 4. Hairdressing is not currently on the shortages lists here in New Zealand so no points for that either & it means that any NZ employer offering her a job would have to prove there was no NZ resident or citizen for that job. If she had the level 4 and possibly management experience in a salon she could be in with a chance.

Still never say never She could ,in theory, pick up an NZ job offer . Gain NZIS approval in principle and look to take up a temporary work visa if she had not enough points for a residency application. After a couple of years working in NZ she would gain points for her NZ work experience. In that time she could maybe look to improve on her qualifications and salon time with a view to gaining the points for the skill , thereafter putting in a residency application.

Toddling back to the NZ forum now.