Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hairdressing and travel agency wages

Hairdressing and travel agency wages

Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:40 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hairdressing and travel agency wages

Originally Posted by SteveBannister
Come on guys, the girl asked for hairdressing wages in Perth and you give her Victoria, Queensland and New South Wales.

Yeah, at least it gives them a ball park...maybe if you'd have been here sooner though
Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:42 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Lol...Sorry Hevs, just couldn't get away!
Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:43 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Lol...Sorry Hevs, just couldn't get away!
Old Mar 6th 2009, 2:43 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Ivoryhouse
Hi Steve,

Is it easy to work from home.

Celia
Sorry Celia, just saw this last part of your post. For us, it was very easy. A couple of stud walls in the garage, a lick of paint, lights and plumbing and my wife was ready to go.

All we did was 3 weeks advertising in the local paper and a leaflet drop in the suburb and she had plenty of work. Definitely the way to go.

Steve.
Attached Thumbnails Hairdressing and travel agency wages-salon-1.jpg   Hairdressing and travel agency wages-salon-2.jpg   Hairdressing and travel agency wages-salon-3.jpg  
Old Mar 6th 2009, 3:13 am
ABCDiamond

Sorry Celia, just saw this last part of your post. For us, it was very easy. A couple of stud walls in the garage, a lick of paint, lights and plumbing and my wife was ready to go.

All we did was 3 weeks advertising in the local paper and a leaflet drop in the suburb and she had plenty of work. Definitely the way to go.

Steve.
I agree with the leaflet drop, for any business.

They do seem to be excellent ways to drum up local business, and many people keep some of the interesting leaflets for years, and eventually use them.

Old Mar 6th 2009, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

FilSheff is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I noticed the position of Hairdressers wages on a national list the other day, I am just looking for the file now...

It was for 2006.

There were 86 employment categorories in the list.

The highest earning group was Medical practitioners at $55.80 per hour
The lowest group, at position 86, was $17.20 per hour, and yes, that was the Hairdressers.....

Travel workers came out at $22.90 ph at position 52 out of 86.
Thanks for this, it's really helpful, as is everything else other people have mentioned.

I'm gonna hazard a guess though that seeing as it's 2009, this "may" have improved slightly...

In regard to Flightcentre, does anyone know what they are like to work for? The website makes them look great, but first hand knowledge is always appreciated!

Old Mar 6th 2009, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

annb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant future

I worked for Flight Centre in both retail and corporate for 10 years. I was lucky I did really well and have to say I was good at my job! I had a lot of repeat clients and I was in a shop in a good area. The people that do well there are those who are not afraid to work hard, dont expect the $$$ to come flooding in within the first few months and dont expect to be jetting off on free trips every other week. It can take some time to be earning good $$ and if you are in an established shop with long serving staff it can be hard as you might find all the customers already 'belong' to someone else, it can be hard to get your own client base going....but if you are prepared to stick at it yes there is good money to be made - or there was before the credit crunch!!
Corporate is very different, yes again you can make good money but it is very dependent on what accounts you get given, at first you will only have small accounts that might be quite time consuming and not make much money, but then if you land a big account it can be quite profitable
Times have definitely changed in the travel business it is very much more competitive out there than it used to be, you have to love doing it I think!
Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:24 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by FilSheff
Thanks for this, it's really helpful, as is everything else other people have mentioned.

I'm gonna hazard a guess though that seeing as it's 2009, this "may" have improved slightly...

In regard to Flightcentre, does anyone know what they are like to work for? The website makes them look great, but first hand knowledge is always appreciated!

The adult full time wage in Nov 2006 was $1,097.80 pw.
In Nov 2008 it was $1,196.20 pw (an average 4.4% per year increase)

This is the country average of all occupations, just to give an idea of how things have changed overall.

Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

Ivoryhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Steve.
hi steve,
thanks for that,
thats what i did in england but have now sold all my stuff!!! might have been a mistake.
did you get over on your visa or your wifes as we need to do it on mine.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:49 pm
I Know What's Going On!

Originally Posted by Ivoryhouse
hi steve,
thanks for that,
thats what i did in england but have now sold all my stuff!!! might have been a mistake.
did you get over on your visa or your wifes as we need to do it on mine.
Definitely a mistake. You should bring everything when you come over here. We have met quite a few people who have sold everything to come over, and they have to buy it all over again. Pretty much everything is more expensive here. So the monetary difference in selling for second hand cash in the UK and then replacing it for new over here, is quite large. Don't get into the frame of mind that you will win on the exchange rate, try not to think that way as when you get here you will be earning dollars.

We started the process on my skills, I am an Electrician. But my wife had been a hairdresser longer than I had been an electrician so it was a stronger case to do it through her name. Just towards the end of the process, her skills were put on to the MODL list, so went through quicker still. That was in 2004.

Good luck with it all,

Steve.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

I know a travel agent who takes home $700 a week and he is a manager... the underlings will get less.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Carl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really nice

Originally Posted by aarancam
I would say the money for both these jobs is at the lower end. If you've got a loyal following they'll pay you well but obviously you won't have that to offer when you first get here. You're generally looking at around $30-$40,000 for a hairdresser plus a bit of commission. When I arrived 2 years ago I was horrified at the wages. I could have earned the same at a fast food joint. My only option was to open my own place which is much easier here. A lot of salons are small and just the owner works in them. The rent's dirt cheap compared to the UK. There's always a few salons for sale in the paper. Most state WIWO which means 'walk in walk out.' The person selling literally walks out and you walk in. The woman I bought my salon off hadn't even emptied the ****** reception bin! But saying that the clients here are very loyal to their salon and will let whoever takes over do their hair. They'll love the fact you're British and will want to know all about the UK. That's the only way you'll make a decent living. I paid $8000 for mine and take about $1500 a week, working about 25 hours. The rent's dirt cheap. It's sticking your neck out a bit but going to work at a new salon is always a bit stressful anyway. What've you got to lose apart from a few grand?
That's my 2 pence worth anyway, feel free to message me anytime as I'm always interested in other hairdressers and how they get on here. I also know loads about the products they use here.
Hello were abouts in Australia are you? and how long have you now been working for yourself?
Regards
Carl
Old Mar 8th 2009, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Carl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really nice

Steve.
Was it really that easyt o set up ur garage, no planning permision or anything like that?
Old Mar 8th 2009, 1:36 pm
I Know What's Going On!

Originally Posted by Carl England
Was it really that easyt o set up ur garage, no planning permision or anything like that?
Yes to the first bit...No to the second bit.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

markinhull is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife works for flight centre and she earns more as a travel consultant here than she did managing a branch back in the UK!!!

her basic take home is around $2000 per month but it is the commission that is a lot better. Each store has a cost of seat. money that you make up to the cost of seat you earn 10% of, everything above that 35%

so if cost of seat is say $10000 and she makes $15000 profit in a month she gets 10% of the first $10000 and then 35% of the last $5000.

As someone else on here mentioned, do not expect to start earning the big bucks straight away. Once you build your client list up, this is when you start earning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.