Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hairdressing qualifications

Hairdressing qualifications

Old Jul 25th 2004, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Beano is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hairdressing qualifications

My wife has took time out to raise our children in the last few years but would like to get back into hairdressing when we get to OZ.
Anyone know what formal qualifications are required in OZ to work as a hairdresser.

Is there qualifications we can take over here to improve her chances over there?

She is very talented - is this enough?

Old Jul 25th 2004, 11:30 am

Debbie Jo has a spectacular aura aboutDebbie Jo has a spectacular aura aboutDebbie Jo has a spectacular aura about

Hi Beano
I am a Hairdresser working in NSW. Here you need city and guilds or NVQ level 2 or above.
You also need to have been qualifide as a Hairdresser for at least 4 years and in full time employment.

What qualifications has your wife got and how long has she been a Hairdresser. Also how long has she been out of the industry.You also have to get a licence to work as a Hairdresser here.

Please feel free to PM me if you need more info.

Debbie jo
Old Jul 26th 2004, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

francesduggan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Debbie Jo,just wondering,I have just completed NVQlevel2 full time course in hairdressing ,any idea how this will be viewed in Oz .What level should I apply for jobs at?Do you know the procedure for applying for a license in Queensland.Lots of jobs advertised on CareerOne web site ,what are the work conditions like ?Many thanks
Old Jul 27th 2004, 11:13 am

Debbie Jo has a spectacular aura aboutDebbie Jo has a spectacular aura aboutDebbie Jo has a spectacular aura about

Hi
Sorry i don't know how you go on in Qld as every state is different so you would have to look into that. How long have you been a hairdresser and how long did your NVQ take you because over here we still have apprentiships which take 4 years and in NSW they expect you to have been practicing for that long but they do include your training time.
Work conditions are quite good where i am but i am the manager so i make sure there ok.
I think in general it is the same as England just the money is a little better.
Hope this helps, anything else i can help with please ask.

Debbie jo
Old Jul 30th 2004, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks for your reply,Debbie Jo,my course lasted for 1 year ,full time training ,to obtain NVQ 2 ,so it really covers basic training but have been offered several jobs as senior stylist here at home .the course offers Diploma from the British and International Hair Federation ,which I am told is recognised in Australia.I seems I will have to sit an exam of some sorts to make sure I am up to standards.Do you find managing a salon any different in Australia?I would imagine staff and clients are the same in Oz ??
I am expected to operate 2 columns of clients with the help of juniors , so as my speed increases , so will the commission.
I answered an ad for stylists in Brisbane recently and got some very good info back $750 to $ 800 basic plus 40% earnings over 3 times salary which is good ,what do you think?
Are you enjoying Australia?Any surprises??
We got our visa's about 3 months ago, and now have the house up for sale, waiting for buyer .Had hoped to be in Oz for end of September but looks more like October now ,3 children aged 2,6,and 8 .
Sorry all the help and advice is all one way , if there is anything I can do for u ,just ask .
Many thanks again.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 5:39 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

I am starting work as a Salon Manageresss / Senior Hairdresser in Brisbane later this month and will let who know the "in's and out's" of the business compared to Ireland and UK.

Old Aug 1st 2004, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by irishmolly
I am starting work as a Salon Manageresss / Senior Hairdresser in Brisbane later this month and will let who know the "in's and out's" of the business compared to Ireland and UK.

Hi Irishmolly,heading to northern suburbs of Brisbane ourselves in September,best place for rentals we could find is www.seqrents.com.au. I am also a qualified hairdresser looking for a bright new future in either Brisbane or GoldCoast,do you mind my asking ,how did you manage to get your new job before you got to Oz??Did you have to have your qualifications recognised or get your licience to work yet. I still don't know how to go about the whole process,any help would be appreciated.Who knows , maybe we'll bump into one another in the near future