Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hairdressers ?? Brisbane

Hairdressers ?? Brisbane

Old Jan 17th 2008, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

grahamrobin is just really nicegrahamrobin is just really nicegrahamrobin is just really nicegrahamrobin is just really nicegrahamrobin is just really nicegrahamrobin is just really nicegrahamrobin is just really nicegrahamrobin is just really nice
Default Hairdressers ?? Brisbane

Hi
Does anyone living in Brisbane know if salons have problems recruiting staff ??
And just out of curiosity how do you find the standard of work in general,I have read a lot of post about people finding it hard to find a decent stylist but then I suppose that could be said about any country.

Thanks
Old Jan 17th 2008, 8:33 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hairdressers ?? Brisbane

Originally Posted by grahamrobin
Hi
And just out of curiosity how do you find the standard of work in general,I have read a lot of post about people finding it hard to find a decent stylist but then I suppose that could be said about any country.

Thanks
I ain't no hairdresser but my misses, had trouble finding a decent one. They do struggle to get staff, their are loads of salons around, and most of them are bad at doing hair... Just my opinion.

Put it this way, I went for a haircut, male hairdresser, it was soo bad my 7 year old refused to have his haircut by him
Old Jan 17th 2008, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

grahamrobin is just really nicegrahamrobin is just really nicegrahamrobin is just really nicegrahamrobin is just really nicegrahamrobin is just really nicegrahamrobin is just really nicegrahamrobin is just really nicegrahamrobin is just really nice

Your 7 yr old was the lucky one then clever lad !!
Sorry you had a bad experience but the reply is good news to me,I may get lucky when I visit my daughter in April.

Thanks.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:01 pm
Superhero

The Marvel is just really niceThe Marvel is just really niceThe Marvel is just really niceThe Marvel is just really niceThe Marvel is just really niceThe Marvel is just really niceThe Marvel is just really niceThe Marvel is just really nice

How about gents' barbers?

They always seem to get lumped in with hairdressers and it's quite hard to track down info on job availability etc.

I'm a barber to trade, but I run a gift shop at the moment - emigration's always in my mind, though...
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:03 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Marvel
How about gents' barbers?

They always seem to get lumped in with hairdressers and it's quite hard to track down info on job availability etc.

I'm a barber to trade, but I run a gift shop at the moment - emigration's always in my mind, though...

Loads of them, but they are bad also. To be honest a good one would do well, a bad one, well they would do OK Lets be honest here, men are easily pleased as to heair cuts !
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:24 pm
Superhero

The Marvel is just really niceThe Marvel is just really niceThe Marvel is just really niceThe Marvel is just really niceThe Marvel is just really niceThe Marvel is just really niceThe Marvel is just really niceThe Marvel is just really nice

Originally Posted by Brisben
Loads of them, but they are bad also. To be honest a good one would do well, a bad one, well they would do OK Lets be honest here, men are easily pleased as to heair cuts !
Thanks for such a quick reply!

I am a good one!

Do guys there make much of a distinction - i.e. do blokes prefer going to a barber as opposed to a hairdresser, or is there not such a distinction as there is in the UK?

I wouldn't fancy working in a ladies'/unisex hairdressers, I'm more comfortable in a guys' environment.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:30 pm
Born to be wild....

Originally Posted by The Marvel
Thanks for such a quick reply!

I am a good one!

Do guys there make much of a distinction - i.e. do blokes prefer going to a barber as opposed to a hairdresser, or is there not such a distinction as there is in the UK?

I wouldn't fancy working in a ladies'/unisex hairdressers, I'm more comfortable in a guys' environment.
Mate you get both the distinction is much more vague. In the UK I would go to a gents barbers and boy do I miss them ! Never would I enter a hairdresser, you now a ladies salon. Here you get both and the difference is hard to tell, I go to barbers still but they are not very good and if I were in your shoes I would deffo go and work in the ladies hairdressers !!!!
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:38 pm
Superhero

Mate you get both the distinction is much more vague. In the UK I would go to a gents barbers and boy do I miss them ! Never would I enter a hairdresser, you now a ladies salon. Here you get both and the difference is hard to tell, I go to barbers still but they are not very good and if I were in your shoes I would deffo go and work in the ladies hairdressers !!!!
Thanks for the advice.

I'm just putting the feelers out at the moment. The wife's not too keen to move.

You can never get too much information and this forum's really helpful.

Who knows, you might get a good barber in Brisbane some day!
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

I ain't no hairdresser but my misses, had trouble finding a decent one. They do struggle to get staff, their are loads of salons around, and most of them are bad at doing hair... Just my opinion.

Put it this way, I went for a haircut, male hairdresser, it was soo bad my 7 year old refused to have his haircut by him
There's a male salon run in Brisbane CBD by an English guy, my OH goes there. It's called Pureman. He loves it and would recommend it.

p.s he went to a barber's once and he came out with a squaddie do ... we all thought it was hilarious but he was not impressed LOL!
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:45 pm
Born to be wild....

Originally Posted by rabsody
There's a male salon run in Brisbane CBD by an English guy, my OH goes there. It's called Pureman. He loves it and would recommend it.

p.s he went to a barber's once and he came out with a squaddie do ... we all thought it was hilarious but he was not impressed LOL!
I can relate to the poor guy !

I have seen the place you mean, always looks busy, Maybe if I am in the city I will pop in for a trim !
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grahamrobin
Hi

Thanks
Cor corz at South Bank and Oscar Oscar (city, Indooroopilly) seem to win most of the awards in Qld every year. Not cheap though, you'd prolly be looking at about $250-$300 for a cut and colour, maybe even more. Hair Zoom at Brisbane Central, is a good cut and they are very reasonable (prob about $150 cut and colour). Ask for Bree.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:47 pm
Superhero

Originally Posted by rabsody
I wonder if they need any staff...
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have seen the place you mean, always looks busy, Maybe if I am in the city I will pop in for a trim !
I still have some photos - priceless!

OH says the guy who runs it is really nice, been here about 2 years I think

Here's the website: http://www.pureman.com.au/content/index.php?id=1 and he's Scottish, not English - my bad.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 10:24 pm
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of

Hya...we live very near you in Lota and I have had a bad experience with hairdressers over here....where does your wife go now? Cheers Sarah
Old Jan 17th 2008, 11:06 pm
Born to be wild....

Originally Posted by Shortlets
Hya...we live very near you in Lota and I have had a bad experience with hairdressers over here....where does your wife go now? Cheers Sarah
She goes into Fitness First at Carindale just off creek road, it is inside Fitness First and there is a little salon, they did a great job, she was happy.

!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.