Hairdresser

Old May 23rd 2003, 9:30 am
Just Joined

bungleberg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hairdresser

Can any one tell me how much a hairdressser gets paid in oz please?

Are there any hairdressers going over from here?

Any info would be great

thankyou
Old May 23rd 2003, 9:36 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hairdresser

Originally posted by bungleberg

Any info would be great

thankyou
I know that Rizalan's other half is a hairdresser. They want to go to Perth I believe. They may have some info.

Nicola
Old May 23rd 2003, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Atticus will become famous soon enough

Basically from the research we have done they dont get paid that well.

But you do have to remember we are based in UK and are constantly converting pounds and dollars in our heads - cost of living, price of property etc all plays a part but I do know that me old man wasnt to happy but he is hoping to set up his own business if we ever get out there but only after we have done a bit of travelling round the area.

Currently accumulating lots of paperwork for the tra so may not be as informed as the others on the site in general but feel free to pm and will see what I can do. One of the things I did was go to google, australia and then do searches re hairdressing and came up with loads of sites - did not think to keep any at this stage - but my history folder at home should have something if I come up with stuff will pass it on.

All the best
Old May 23rd 2003, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Atticus will become famous soon enough

Almost forgot - do a search here under "hairdressers" and there are at least two more people I think on the site - one of them are nearly or do have their visas cant remember which - so they may have more information.

good luck
Old May 25th 2003, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

poggle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bungleberg

Any info would be great

thankyou
Hi Bungleberg!

I am a hairdresser living in melbourne.

The minimum legal wage for a qualified hairdresser is $13.81 an hour. Most salons seem to pay on an hourly rate. Part time is a 28 hour week made up over 3 or 3 and a half days.not sure about the full time hours as i only work part time.
If your lucky, you will probably have the chance to earn commission, but this usually after youve earned 3 times your wages, and wont be a very high %age.

On an average week i'll take home after tax etc. about $420 for 28 hours but the salon is fairly newly opened and still in the building up a clientele stage.

Unfortunately the wages here dont always increase to reflect your age and experience and ability.

Also many salons have staff that are either just colourists or just cutters, so if you are all rounder like me, you may end up having to cut what someone else has coloured and vice versa, which pisses me off sometimes as i like to do the entire job myself!

Its only my personal opinion, but i think the general standard of hairdressing here is dreadful! in particular, cutting. compared with the Uk. But most clients seem to be happy with this awful standard, and wouldnt know a precise and accurate haircut if it slapped em in the face!!

one other major difference here is that no one tips a hairdresser!!!
In London, my tips were really good and supplimented my wages, and paid for my lunches and travel ex's etc. here , all that will be coming out of your wages!

Well, so far it all sounds a bit negative so i'll balance it out.

I really like my job and have great fun with the people i work with. Ive built up quite a lot of clients and being a 'pom' has its 'novelty value' as a conversation starter.

regarding the wages, dont look at the wages and do the exchange rate thing, as its irrelevent once you are here living and working. you have to look at it from the point of view of what you can buy here for $420 dollars or what ever you earn, in any job!!

Im happy with my job and working 3 days a week. Mon 10 - 6
Thurs 9 - 7.30 and Friday 10 - 7.30. I dont work Saturdays for the first time in my life!!which is great to have the whole weekend free! then a few days off in the week to enjoy too!

Anyway, i hope this is of some help to all you hairdressers coming out to Oz and if anyone wants more info, please Pm me or email and i'll be happy to help if i can. Also just out of interest you can view the website of the Co. i work for. A lot of it is the usual advertising bullshit but it will give you a bit of an idea of hairdressing in Oz. www.edwardbeale.com.au

Cheers!

Old May 25th 2003, 4:02 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by poggle
Hi Bunglebe

one other major difference here is that no one tips here.
Cheers!

yes Australia is one of the few countrys in the world were tipping is frowned upon, as a removalist we reckon its always nice to get a tip or beer money, in the tipping stakes the poms would have to be #1 followed by the asians,then the yanks ,japs and very rarely an aussie will slip you a tenner.................
Old May 25th 2003, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kaff

impressive website !!!

our biggest client at work is Toni & Guy - we provide plasmas and Toni and Guy TV (their own private TV channel) to all 247 stores in the UK via satellite.

The launch party for the service is next week in Covent Garden - might be a few interesting sites there to see ????

My favourite store is the Toni and Guy Academy - I always have trouble walking away from there

Hi Bungleberg!

I am a hairdresser living in melbourne.Anyway, i hope this is of some help to all you hairdressers coming out to Oz and if anyone wants more info, please Pm me or email and i'll be happy to help if i can. Also just out of interest you can view the website of the Co. i work for. A lot of it is the usual advertising bullshit but it will give you a bit of an idea of hairdressing in Oz. www.edwardbeale.com.au

Cheers!

Old May 25th 2003, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Mandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really nice

Hi Bungleberg!

The minimum legal wage for a qualified hairdresser is $13.81 an hour. Most salons seem to pay on an hourly rate. Part time is a 28 hour week made up over 3 or 3 and a half days.not sure about the full time hours as i only work part time.
If your lucky, you will probably have the chance to earn commission, but this usually after youve earned 3 times your wages, and wont be a very high %age.

On an average week i'll take home after tax etc. about $420 for 28 hours but the salon is fairly newly opened and still in the building up a clientele stage.

Unfortunately the wages here dont always increase to reflect your age and experience and ability.

Also many salons have staff that are either just colourists or just cutters, so if you are all rounder like me, you may end up having to cut what someone else has coloured and vice versa, which pisses me off sometimes as i like to do the entire job myself!

Its only my personal opinion, but i think the general standard of hairdressing here is dreadful! in particular, cutting. compared with the Uk. But most clients seem to be happy with this awful standard, and wouldnt know a precise and accurate haircut if it slapped em in the face!!

In London, my tips were really good and supplimented my wages, and paid for my lunches and travel ex's etc. here , all that will be coming out of your wages!

I really like my job and have great fun with the people i work with. Ive built up quite a lot of clients and being a 'pom' has its 'novelty value' as a conversation starter.

regarding the wages, dont look at the wages and do the exchange rate thing, as its irrelevent once you are here living and working. you have to look at it from the point of view of what you can buy here for $420 dollars or what ever you earn, in any job!!

Thurs 9 - 7.30 and Friday 10 - 7.30. I dont work Saturdays for the first time in my life!!which is great to have the whole weekend free! then a few days off in the week to enjoy too!

Anyway, i hope this is of some help to all you hairdressers coming out to Oz and if anyone wants more info, please Pm me or email and i'll be happy to help if i can. Also just out of interest you can view the website of the Co. i work for. A lot of it is the usual advertising bullshit but it will give you a bit of an idea of hairdressing in Oz. www.edwardbeale.com.au

Cheers!

So Poggle, where in Melbourne are you working? You know you have to get your priorities right and find a good hairdresser. Can i just book an appointment with poggle

Mandy
Old May 25th 2003, 10:13 am
Just Joined

bungleberg is an unknown quantity at this point

Poggle

thank you very much for the concise information that has helped me and my wife no end.

a most informative read

thx again
Old Jun 1st 2003, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

hutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the rough

Hi Bungleberg!

Cheers!

Hi POggle, I am also a hairdresser moving to Melbourne, but I am slightly out of touch, been mobile for around 15 yrs and although do a great cut, bit out of touch with colours etc. Wondering is there any refresher courses to go on. I am only going to Melbourne for around 5/6 months and would like to catch up on the latest styles etc. Dont fancy working in a salon really although I would enjoy the company, prefer to do it at home or visit other people in there home without too much travel. Maybe just around the local streets etc. Is mobile hairdressers popular over there. HUbby has job when we arrive so it is more social for me. Any advice would be welcome. Thanx in advance.. Jan Hutchy...
Old Jun 1st 2003, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by hutchy
Hi POggle, I am also a hairdresser moving to Melbourne, but I am slightly out of touch, been mobile for around 15 yrs and although do a great cut, bit out of touch with colours etc. Wondering is there any refresher courses to go on. I am only going to Melbourne for around 5/6 months and would like to catch up on the latest styles etc. Dont fancy working in a salon really although I would enjoy the company, prefer to do it at home or visit other people in there home without too much travel. Maybe just around the local streets etc. Is mobile hairdressers popular over there. HUbby has job when we arrive so it is more social for me. Any advice would be welcome. Thanx in advance.. Jan Hutchy...
Hi Jan!

Although i like my job in the salon here, i'd rather be working freelance, as i did this in the UK for a while and prefer this. [plus you earn a lot more money for less hours!!]
I have tried to set this up in the area im living in, but not had much response so far to my leaflet drop. Ive been to all the local schools and given my leaflets to groups of mums at the school gates, and put posters in shop windows and at community notice boards. and still not one enquiry!! It seems no one's prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt, to try you and see how good you are!! Ive been told by girls i know already doing mobile hairdressing that its hard to get started, but once you got a few regular clients, they will recommend you to others and so the 'snowball' starts! its just getting the few in the first place thats hard! ive even offered to do it for free!!!

Anyway, im not giving up, and will continue to work at the salon, but hope that eventually i can work freelance during the week, and maybe just do a Saturday in the salon, to keep up with style changes, new products etc.

Hope this helps, but pm or email me if you need to know more.

Cheers
Old Jun 1st 2003, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by hutchy
Hi Jan!
Me again! I forgot to say about the courses.

Its only my personal opinion, but as ive said before , i think the standard of cutting over here, in particular is pretty poor, from what ive seen so far, just observing people in the street etc.
and the colouring is not much better! so if you want to do a few refresher courses to get up to date and boost your confidence for working in a salon, i would suggest you do the courses in UK before you come over!

Cheers!
Old Jun 1st 2003, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

bozzy's is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hairdressers

Hi

I am a hairdresser and a qualified lecturer in hairdressing.

I am heading out to Perth in July and have a salon owner interested in meeting me when i get there.

I have been self employed ( mobile ) and teaching for the last 8 years. I don't know what to expect wages wise and dont really want to work in a salon again but will have to in order to get a mortgage.

As soon as i have settled in the area i want to live, i will look at going freelance again maybe with some teaching part time aswell.

If anyone needs an excellent hairdresser in Perth, just let me know !!

Andrea
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 7:11 am

Debbie Jo has a spectacular aura aboutDebbie Jo has a spectacular aura aboutDebbie Jo has a spectacular aura about

Hi there
In N.S.W the rate of pay is set at $15.50 (senior) per hour plus $7 per week tool allowance. This is the state award pay but some salons pay more depending on your experience.

Hope this helps, if you need more info feel free to send me a private message

debbie jo
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 8:34 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter (17) is currently at college (UK) studying hairdressing (NVQII). Does anyone have any idea how much training they get in OZ I have been in contact with a couple of colleges and are awaiting a reply.
Thanx in advance

Debbie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.