Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hair Dye Salon DISASTER

Hair Dye Salon DISASTER

Old Apr 1st 2010, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

tramway will become famous soon enoughtramway will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Hair Dye Salon DISASTER

Got my hairdresser back home to write down the "formula" for my hair dye b4 we left she said the "formula is the same everywhere just different products used but all hairdressers would know the mix, NOTTTTTTTTTTT

Went in to a salon yesterday armed with my colour mix details and the hairdresser didn't have a clue what it meant said it was totally different here so explained the red colour/more golden that I always have and then the fun started.

Showed her roughly on the hair sample chart what I usually have done it turned out what I call brown so then she started over again and now I am a horrible really dark totally fake looking copper with purple tine, basically it a brown paperbag job.

Didn't what to chance getting a 3rd dye on it so have to live with it.

Also I always have permanent back home to cover the grey roots and then mixed through but she said that semi permanent was better and would stay in longer etc so thats what she applied this seems really strange to me how would semi stay in longer???? (it hasnt washed out any bit with all the washes its had today though)

If there are any UK hairdressers out there that can convert what my hairdresser wrote down for me into Ozzie speak please help.

The salon at home used Clynol:

Roots: 90 + 95 6% (20 vol)
Midlengths to ends: 95 3% (10 vol)

Think there may or may not be a decimal point between the 9 numbers above.
Please if you can help as really need to get this rectified.
Thanks
Old Apr 1st 2010, 5:33 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hair Dye Salon DISASTER

If you want a British colour technician to put it right, and can get to North Sydney, let me know and I'll PM you the details.

After a terrible cut and ok colour at one salon, and a scary colour and mediocre cut at another, I now have a fab British cutter and colourist.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Seasider
If you want a British colour technician to put it right, and can get to North Sydney, let me know and I'll PM you the details.

After a terrible cut and ok colour at one salon, and a scary colour and mediocre cut at another, I now have a fab British cutter and colourist.
Yes please thank you, plus roughly what it costs as see Tony & guy here charge over $200 yikes.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:30 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tramway
Yes please thank you, plus roughly what it costs as see Tony & guy here charge over $200 yikes.
Ah. They work for T&G
Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

It might be worthwhile going and paying the big bucks to get it fixed. All colours are different, if she didn't have a clue what to do by either looking at the colour that's still in your hair (presumably) or figuring out the best colour to use on your head to give you the finished result you wanted, she should have said so beforehand.

Semi just fades out whereas permanent grows out (hence getting the regrowth touched up every 6 weeks or so with permanent), but the semi gives a nice overall shine to your hair.

Sorry I haven't a clue about the colours used, your hairdresser in the UK should have told you what level colour was used as this IS universal as far as I know; not just the particular brand numbers that she armed you with.

Hope you get sorted!!

cheers
shears
Old Apr 1st 2010, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

My hairdresser said the brand didn't matter it was the numbers that were the same everywhere obviously, very obviously not as no joking but was on a bus journey earlier and was getting some serious staring looks as in 'o my god' what has she done.

Feels like straw now too.

I want to go home
Old Apr 1st 2010, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

My hairdresser said the brand didn't matter it was the numbers that were the same everywhere obviously, very obviously not as no joking but was on a bus journey earlier and was getting some serious staring looks as in 'o my god' what has she done.

I want to go home
well i don't understand because with those numbers, a level 9 is a very light blonde! Definitely not a red/gold colour
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:26 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

I want to go home
I hope your hair colour gets sorted out mate but do you seriously want to go back to UK because your hair colour isn't right
Old Apr 1st 2010, 9:24 pm
Auntie Fa

A decent technician shouldn't need all those details anyway.

I understand your frustration - it's tough when you move somewhere new and you just want to get on with life and doctors, dentists, yes and hairstylists seem too hard to find.

Persevere - good ones are out there. At Toni & Guy in McMahons Point, just 5 mins walk down the hill from North Sydney station, there are two British colourists. I've had mine done by Jonni, I think the other one is Madge (don't let the name put you off she's funky). The first time I went there I had some terrible yellow flashes - that's the only word for them, they certainly weren't the subtle golden highlights I asked for - and they toned them down for me until they grew out.

(My stylist there, Lee, is from Manchester.)
Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Ah. They work for T&G
No didnt' get it done there just checked out there prices when looking where to get it done was it was a familar name.
It was as a salon that specialized in Colour that dyed it so I thought they would have no problems, how wrong was I
Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
I hope your hair colour gets sorted out mate but do you seriously want to go back to UK because your hair colour isn't right
Lets just say it topped off a very long list, grass is def not greener on the other side.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

A decent technician shouldn't need all those details anyway.

I understand your frustration - it's tough when you move somewhere new and you just want to get on with life and doctors, dentists, yes and hairstylists seem too hard to find.

Persevere - good ones are out there. At Toni & Guy in McMahons Point, just 5 mins walk down the hill from North Sydney station, there are two British colourists. I've had mine done by Jonni, I think the other one is Madge (don't let the name put you off she's funky). The first time I went there I had some terrible yellow flashes - that's the only word for them, they certainly weren't the subtle golden highlights I asked for - and they toned them down for me until they grew out.

(My stylist there, Lee, is from Manchester.)
Thanks seasider
Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

My hair was red but a golden red & its curly, just a few grey roots and it had gone very blondeish from the sun in the few weeks we been here so thinking myself there is no way she followed my mix to have gotten a colour this dark but she did say from the beginning she hadn't a clue what it meant.
Its not an even colour either middle parting and sides are diff colour.
O well baseball cap I think today
Old Apr 1st 2010, 11:18 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Lets just say it topped off a very long list, grass is def not greener on the other side.
I agree mate that the grass isn't any greener, but try not to let this get you down. In the grand scheme of life, it's only hair

My mates wife just found out she has breast cancer and needs radiotherapy and her breast off. They have a 10 year old boy. Now that's enough to piss anyone off and soon she may not have any hair

I suppose [in a funny way] I'm trying to say "don't sweat the small stuff"- keep looking for a good hairdresser and in the meantime get a glass of wine and chill - you probably look better than you feel
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

I went into Toni and Guy in Adelaide armed with a very similar bit of paper from my UK hairdresser and they understood completely and my hair colour was identical to my UK hair colour. If you feel very self concious then spend the money. If you can learn to live with it and as Sony says, don't sweat the small stuff, then think about the good stuff in your life and smile.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.