Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Had to take the dentist.........

Had to take the dentist.........

Old Nov 6th 2003, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

SuzeM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Had to take the dentist.........

My youngest son started with some toothache, and so, after being here 10 months or so without plucking up courage to go, we had to bite the bullet (we're not in a health scheme) and take the kids to the dentist (had the free checkups every 6 months in the UK, only ever had one filling each prior to coming here).

Sods law always happens on a public holiday doesn't it, so we visited an emergency dentist who charged us $40 for the check up, prescribed analgesia & antibiotics ($28) and sent him to have and OPG xray (free with medicare). Poor thing, toothache didn't settle so visited our local denstist who looked at the xrays and diagnosed infection at the root of the tooth therefore he had it drilled, packed with antibiotics and refilled with white filling ($123) and wanted him back for two more fillings, one a replacement of the one he had ($170). In for a penny, in for a pound, had my other son checked out ($33), again 2 fillings, one a replacement at a cost of $170. AND he told me my eldest would probably need braces to correct an overbite in a few years time (the dollars signs are wizzing past).

So all up a total cost of $564. I asked the dentist about which health scheme it was best to join and he said that there isn't much refund for dental work anyway, so we decided not to bother.

My advice is while your'e still in the UK get all the dental work done that you can, because Dentists seem to be the richest people you could meet over here. Either that or bring some spare dentures.

Sue
Old Nov 6th 2003, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

I've got my first visit planned to the dentist to come on Tuesday! Thanks for this inspiring post. Just realised that although we have basic healthcare, I dont think I checked how much we get back on dental:scared:

I have loads of fillings (too many sweeties as a kiddie), whats the bets he reckons they all need re-doing, although I had regular check ups in UK and he said that they would need re-doing, but gradually????

Di the terrified
Old Nov 6th 2003, 6:04 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sue, dont believe that the health funds arent worth it, we just had a dentists visit last week for Dagboy & myself, extractions & a clean & polish came to $480 something & we only ended up paying $144 of it. It sure as hell beats paying full price! Im not sure how much premiums are (ours is paid for as a part of salary package), but even for just an extras cover you must get a fair bit back. And it covers quite a few other things as well like optical, physio etc. Might be worth checking it out.

As for the kids, in Qld there's free dental through the schools. Not much help for your little tyke when he was in pain with an infection, I know how much that hurts, thats why I had to have a couple of mine out

Oh yeah, my first checkup was $40, healthfund rebate was $21 on that one.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DianeOZ
I've got my first visit planned to the dentist to come on Tuesday! Thanks for this inspiring post. Just realised that although we have basic healthcare, I dont think I checked how much we get back on dental:scared:

I have loads of fillings (too many sweeties as a kiddie), whats the bets he reckons they all need re-doing, although I had regular check ups in UK and he said that they would need re-doing, but gradually????

Di the terrified

Di, surely a couple of daquiris before you go will sort you out!!
I thought you were the queen of daquiris!!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Oh yeah, so I am, actually a "Sex on the Beach" ought to set me up just nicely.

Thanks for that
Old Nov 6th 2003, 7:31 am
Just Joined

ssmith is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Sue, dont believe that the health funds arent worth it, we just had a dentists visit last week for Dagboy & myself, extractions & a clean & polish came to $480 something & we only ended up paying $144 of it. It sure as hell beats paying full price! Im not sure how much premiums are (ours is paid for as a part of salary package), but even for just an extras cover you must get a fair bit back. And it covers quite a few other things as well like optical, physio etc. Might be worth checking it out.

As for the kids, in Qld there's free dental through the schools. Not much help for your little tyke when he was in pain with an infection, I know how much that hurts, thats why I had to have a couple of mine out

Oh yeah, my first checkup was $40, healthfund rebate was $21 on that one.
Also free dental through schools here in Perth until they are 17 but not braces etc.