Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Had our first argument last night over "the move" ...

Had our first argument last night over "the move" ...

Old Nov 24th 2005, 7:43 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Had our first argument last night over "the move" ...

We have two cats ... Stella & Becks !

I'd prefer them to stay here on the Isle of Man and give them to friends as I really can't be doing with all the hassle that goes with shipping them and the cost

However ... our first born (Stella) arrived the day after my wife's mother died following a long hard battle with breast cancer (incidentally, the day before Princess Diana's assassination). So the heart strings are being pulled to the limit emotionally !

Now we can't take Stella and not Becks (My favourite !) so what to do ...

Decisions ... decisions !
Old Nov 24th 2005, 7:45 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Had our first argument last night over "the move" ...

Originally Posted by Three Legs

I'd prefer them to stay here on the Isle of Man and give them to friends as I really can't be doing with all the hassle that goes with shipping them and the cost

However ... our first born (Stella) arrived the day after my wife's mother died following a long hard battle with breast cancer (incidentally, the day before Princess Diana's assassination). So the heart strings are being pulled to the limit emotionally !

One pussy's enough
Old Nov 24th 2005, 7:49 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Princess Diana was assasinated?!! Next you'll be babbling on about mysterious Fiat Unos, and Grassy Knolls, and flags flutter on the moon when they shouldn't.

Sorry what was the question again??... Oh cats, sorry mate, just sell them, and get a dog when you get here.

Problem solved.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 8:21 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - you take on two lives of creatures and then cant be bothered with the hassle of taking them with you. Nice...

I dont think I could be that flippant about my animals that I took on. Sorry if thats not what you meant but thats how it came across.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

my best friends had the same argument when they emigrated to NZ. They were lucky that a relative took the cats on, although about 15miles away, that way they could keep in contact with the rellies on how the cats were and also had peace of mind on how they were resettling.

They moved the cats about 8weeks before they left the country. If they hadnt settled, they were going to arrange to have them flown out to NZ with them.

Is it something you could consider???
Old Nov 24th 2005, 8:28 am
Banned

menace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud of

Australia is no place for a cat, leave them where they are and send them the odd postcard.

The cost involved in bringing two cats here would be high in the '000's why bother with all that? Why even own cats in the first place?
Old Nov 24th 2005, 8:30 am
Account Closed

If I had time to reply properly I would but I've a Japanese Whaler to catch in ten minutes ...

Sheesh ...

Originally Posted by Centurion
Wow - you take on two lives of creatures and then cant be bothered with the hassle of taking them with you. Nice...

I dont think I could be that flippant about my animals that I took on. Sorry if thats not what you meant but thats how it came across.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 8:31 am
Account Closed

Cheers ... it's a consideration at the mo.

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
my best friends had the same argument when they emigrated to NZ. They were lucky that a relative took the cats on, although about 15miles away, that way they could keep in contact with the rellies on how the cats were and also had peace of mind on how they were resettling.

They moved the cats about 8weeks before they left the country. If they hadnt settled, they were going to arrange to have them flown out to NZ with them.

Is it something you could consider???
Old Nov 24th 2005, 8:31 am
Account Closed

My head says this ... my heart says otherwise !

Originally Posted by menace
Australia is no place for a cat, leave them where they are and send them the odd postcard.

The cost involved in bringing two cats here would be high in the '000's why bother with all that? Why even own cats in the first place?
Old Nov 24th 2005, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers ... it's a consideration at the mo.
on phone now to my mate and she has said that bear in mind the heat may be a factor for them if you take them over and the uv.

She also says about renting properties in oz, its something some real estate agents do not allow pets in 9/10 houses/apartments.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 9:06 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
on phone now to my mate and she has said that bear in mind the heat may be a factor for them if you take them over and the uv.

She also says about renting properties in oz, its something some real estate agents do not allow pets in 9/10 houses/apartments.

I grew up in Australia and have always had cats. They have no problems in the heat and the only time they have problems with the UV is if they are white. I have had to have a white cats ears and nose tattoo'd to attempt to avoid cancer. She died of old age...no cancer.

I have also rented in Australia from the age of 16 through to about 3 months ago....like I said have always had cats. Its dogs they generally have problems with.

If you want to bring your cats....bring them. People all over Australia have cats. There is just as much wildlife in the UK they can effect as there is here. Just be responsible and keep your cats in at night.

If you dont, then find other homes....When I came back to Oz we had a cat but believed that she wouldnt handle the trip well at all as she was extremely timid so we found her a new home and she is as happy as larry...

Its a personal choice and one only you guys can make.

Hels
Old Nov 24th 2005, 9:14 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of people have taken their animals and everything has been fine with their travel and getting rentals (dogs seem to be the cause of being refused a rental more often).

It is a small price to pay for your wife to be happy .... this is what I explained to my OH I have had to sell my horse which was bad enough ! I am taking my dog and my cat £ 1700 for them both so two cats should be cheaper.

Why not get a quote from one of the shippers and take it from there ???

The way I see it is they have been part of our family for x number of years and do not look upon them as being a hassle and also if I left them behind my kids would never forgive me.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 9:29 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by menace

Exactly. Dogs are the way to go. And if you get them from the dog pound they are cheap as chips.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 9:45 am
Madwoman

katyjoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hels
I grew up in Australia and have always had cats. They have no problems in the heat and the only time they have problems with the UV is if they are white. I have had to have a white cats ears and nose tattoo'd to attempt to avoid cancer. She died of old age...no cancer.

I have also rented in Australia from the age of 16 through to about 3 months ago....like I said have always had cats. Its dogs they generally have problems with.

If you want to bring your cats....bring them. People all over Australia have cats. There is just as much wildlife in the UK they can effect as there is here. Just be responsible and keep your cats in at night.

If you dont, then find other homes....When I came back to Oz we had a cat but believed that she wouldnt handle the trip well at all as she was extremely timid so we found her a new home and she is as happy as larry...

Its a personal choice and one only you guys can make.

Hels

Couldn't have put it better myself!!!

I brought my two cats with me and the dog and they have settled fine, in fact they are even more friendly that before ( i think the time in quarantine, did them a world of good)!

It is council law that cats have to be in by 6pm anyway to protect the wildlife and if you are a responsible pet owner you will do that. My cats are mainly indoor cats anyway and they don't mind, in the UK they were the complete opposite.

I am a devoute animal lover and couldn't leave them as i know no one could love them as much as me so they came with me. It did cost, but that is neglagible when you have them for the rest of their life and they give so much love back!

Kate

PS, its a personal decision, each to their own but when you take on a pet it is for LIFE!!!
Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:40 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Had our first argument last night over "the move" ...

Why do Brits have this weird idea that cats and/or dogs will have problems with the Australian heat?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.