Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Had an offer today! What should we do? ADVICE PLS!

Had an offer today! What should we do? ADVICE PLS!

Old Feb 1st 2006, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

chaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Had an offer today! What should we do? ADVICE PLS!

Dunno if anyone mentioned it..(speed reading has its short comings) however one thing u might wanna consider is that if you reached your asking price and are left with 30k then u must owe abit on yer mortgage and abit on cards which might be costing you 1500 pcm. If you wait for 6 months thats another 10 grand that youve spent. Sometimes you gotta do the sums and see if it stacks up. You could take the 3k hit on the house price, move into rented @ 500pcm, and as you no longer have a mortgage or cards then you could in theory save the 1000 that previously went on servicing debts which means in 6 months you would be 6 grand in front minus what you have reduce yer house by.

Penny wise and a pound foolish perhaps ? Anyway Im sure you will come to the right decision for you.

cheers

C
Old Feb 1st 2006, 8:03 am

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chaval
Dunno if anyone mentioned it..(speed reading has its short comings) however one thing u might wanna consider is that if you reached your asking price and are left with 30k then u must owe abit on yer mortgage and abit on cards which might be costing you 1500 pcm. If you wait for 6 months thats another 10 grand that youve spent. Sometimes you gotta do the sums and see if it stacks up. You could take the 3k hit on the house price, move into rented @ 500pcm, and as you no longer have a mortgage or cards then you could in theory save the 1000 that previously went on servicing debts which means in 6 months you would be 6 grand in front minus what you have reduce yer house by.

Penny wise and a pound foolish perhaps ? Anyway Im sure you will come to the right decision for you.

cheers

C

See my update at bottom of page 3!! I should have posted a fresh thread, really!
Old Feb 1st 2006, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

chaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucyb
See my update at bottom of page 3!! I should have posted a fresh thread, really!
Excellent news...id join you in a drink but its a bit too early for me
Old Feb 1st 2006, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

OK...our house is on the market at £239,950. ( a humble 4 bed new build in West Sussex, Im afraid!) We had an offer today from someone I am aquainted with through my church, she has nothing to sell as her boyfriend dumped her on Xmas day (classy). She initially offered 233,and we laughed. She then came back with 235 and we giggled. I said we wouldn't even think about taking less than 238. One of the main reasons Im thinking of declining is she came to see us when we were joint sole agency (ie 2%) but we have since sacked on eagent and are now on with only 1 for a flat fee of £2,500. If we accepted her offer, we would be down not only the £2k from the asking price but also another 2+k because of the higher fees we would have to pay as she initially viewed the house when we were on with 2 agents. (I hope this makes sense!) As we are still fairly young we have a massive mortgage and some debts to clear before we leave (I am a major shop-o-holic) so at full asking price, we would only have about £30k to take with us. What should we do?

All advice gratefully received!
Know just how you feel.But personally I would snatch her hand off.
At the end of the day it is difficult if you are not going to tbe taking a lot over with you .You say you are only young that in its self has one big advantage.It all depends on what your plans are when you get over to Oz.
We had an offer of £15,000 off the asking price people are really trying it on at the moment as the market is so bad.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 9:50 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, here's an update for you!

I decided NOT to accept her offer, as some of you realised. She has come back today and offered £500 under what we wanted, so you can imagine I am dead chuffed. I knew I was right to go with my gut instinct!

The even better news is that work have told me I can use the Emirates Staff offer of £50 per person, per sector which means it will only cost the 4 of us a total of £400 plus tax to get to Melbourne, and then we can book a cheap flight onwards to Adelaide!

OH, plus my car is worth £2k more than I thought too. Just finised a lurvely bottle of champagne!
wow brilliant Lucy you've got a guardian angel
Old Feb 5th 2006, 3:11 pm
Tiny Member

tucs is on a distinguished road

can you not take it off the market. Then sell it to your friend as a private sale. After all you found the buyer.
You will save on estate agents fee

OK...our house is on the market at £239,950. ( a humble 4 bed new build in West Sussex, Im afraid!) We had an offer today from someone I am aquainted with through my church, she has nothing to sell as her boyfriend dumped her on Xmas day (classy). She initially offered 233,and we laughed. She then came back with 235 and we giggled. I said we wouldn't even think about taking less than 238. One of the main reasons Im thinking of declining is she came to see us when we were joint sole agency (ie 2%) but we have since sacked on eagent and are now on with only 1 for a flat fee of £2,500. If we accepted her offer, we would be down not only the £2k from the asking price but also another 2+k because of the higher fees we would have to pay as she initially viewed the house when we were on with 2 agents. (I hope this makes sense!) As we are still fairly young we have a massive mortgage and some debts to clear before we leave (I am a major shop-o-holic) so at full asking price, we would only have about £30k to take with us. What should we do?

All advice gratefully received!
Old Feb 5th 2006, 4:26 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Lucy, I'd seriously advise you against following that link. It's to a forum where someone's mentioned this thread and they are being less than complementary. Best ignored

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 5th 2006 at 8:12 pm. Reason: Removing the link!
Old Feb 5th 2006, 6:56 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mosha
Heres a funny quote from that thread:

"Low grade Brits are only allowed to settle in Adelaide or Tasmania

I'm not being facetious(I think its spelt that way?) but that is the current policy

They don't actually call them 'low grade' on the application forms, but the criteria for Sydney, Melbourne etc, is quite different from Adelaide

Coincidentlyso are the wages, house prices etc, (thats always a clue)"

That'll upset a few eh??
yawn yawn yawn
Old Feb 5th 2006, 7:47 pm
Banned

mosha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by herrchook
yawn yawn yawn
At first I thought you were as bored as I was with this thread then I Saw:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=352976

Gripping stuff, I was going to go out with my mates for a few but I think Ill just sit in by myseld instead to watch this...it all makes sense now, youve bored yourself to death with crap reality TV!!
Old Feb 5th 2006, 8:03 pm

Moesha, or whatever you are...if you read my update properly you would see that we have accepted the offer. Im not lowering myself in to some retarded little brawl you seem to want to incite. Run along now.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

If this is really your house..whats makes your house so much better, that you were asking over 240k?
The other houses go for much less...
I think the Lady from you church made you a straight offer..nothing to laugh and giggle about.
I would never pay asking prices....

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 5th 2006 at 8:21 pm. Reason: Link removed
Old Feb 5th 2006, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by herrchook
Lucy, I'd seriously advise you against following that link. It's to a forum where someone's mentioned this thread and they are being less than complementary. Best ignored

Dont worry, I havent been tempted to look...I see its a full moon and the trolls are out in full force. I couldnt personally give a sh*t what some little pikey thinks of me and my situation....they dont know me from adam. As Catherine Tate says...'I aint even bovvered!' nighty nite!

L
x
Old Feb 5th 2006, 8:15 pm
Banned

Moesha, or whatever you are...if you read my update properly you would see that we have accepted the offer. Im not lowering myself in to some retarded little brawl you seem to want to incite. Run along now.
Aww boo-hoo youve broken my heart

Cant wait for your next exciting post. Should be gripping stuff!

Running along now.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 8:17 pm
Banned

[QUOTE=mosha]I couldnt personally give a sh*t what some little pikey thinks of me and my situation....they dont know me from adam.QUOTE]

Ha ha! Says it all really, so why did you post it in the first place then???
Old Feb 5th 2006, 8:23 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is being closed at the request of the original poster.

Let the subject drop there.