Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Had an offer today! What should we do? ADVICE PLS!

Had an offer today! What should we do? ADVICE PLS!

Old Jan 27th 2006, 11:02 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Had an offer today! What should we do? ADVICE PLS!

Take the offer, we have had the house on the market since last May I would bite their hand off
Old Jan 27th 2006, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by possoms
Take the offer, we have had the house on the market since last May I would bite their hand off
Take the offer!! Might not get another one for ages, we took an offer less than we needed but the risk was worth it!!! Our visa is granted and we can go, so do it
Old Jan 27th 2006, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Pete-danns is on a distinguished road

house valuation - £340,000

best offer - £302,000

SOLD!

Can't be waiting about in this crap market for TOP money!

Do so at your own peril!
Old Jan 27th 2006, 4:40 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Take the money and run

House valued £675,000
Put on market £650,000
6weeks later £635,000
8weeks later £599,000
And not one single offer
Old Jan 28th 2006, 3:40 pm
reallywanabeeaussie

dmb357 is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Had an offer today! What should we do? ADVICE PLS!

Originally Posted by lucyb
OK...our house is on the market at £239,950. ( a humble 4 bed new build in West Sussex, Im afraid!) We had an offer today from someone I am aquainted with through my church, she has nothing to sell as her boyfriend dumped her on Xmas day (classy). She initially offered 233,and we laughed. She then came back with 235 and we giggled. I said we wouldn't even think about taking less than 238. One of the main reasons Im thinking of declining is she came to see us when we were joint sole agency (ie 2%) but we have since sacked on eagent and are now on with only 1 for a flat fee of £2,500. If we accepted her offer, we would be down not only the £2k from the asking price but also another 2+k because of the higher fees we would have to pay as she initially viewed the house when we were on with 2 agents. (I hope this makes sense!) As we are still fairly young we have a massive mortgage and some debts to clear before we leave (I am a major shop-o-holic) so at full asking price, we would only have about £30k to take with us. What should we do?

All advice gratefully received!
Hi
We have had an offer this week as well and after much fretting have decided to bit the bullet and accept. It means we take £6000 less but we have been on the market for 12 months and really need to go. So we have decided to take the money and not look back, also if we wait prices will be higher in Oz.
This is the worst bit !!! by far.
Best Wishes Diana
Old Jan 28th 2006, 7:49 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmb357
Hi
We have had an offer this week as well and after much fretting have decided to bit the bullet and accept. It means we take £6000 less but we have been on the market for 12 months and really need to go. So we have decided to take the money and not look back, also if we wait prices will be higher in Oz.
This is the worst bit !!! by far.
Best Wishes Diana
Depending where you go, I doubt it!
Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:03 pm
Pablo Silver or Lead?

dmb357

Selling property is always stresfull, but tying a sale to a move abroad increases that stress. I wouldn't wory about the prices in Aus going up anytime soon as they've been falling for sometime now. You may have got you're timming pretty much spot on. When you get to Aus you can go into rented sit on you cash and watch the market fall further. Then pick up a bargain. IMO the Uk property market is going to tank, so as I say you got your timing right.

regards

Silver or Lead?

Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=lucyb]OK...our house is on the market at £239,950. ( a humble 4 bed new build in West Sussex, Im afraid!) We had an offer today from someone I am aquainted with through my church, she has nothing to sell as her boyfriend dumped her on Xmas day (classy). She initially offered 233,and we laughed. She then came back with 235 and we giggled. I said we wouldn't even think about taking less than 238. One of the main reasons Im thinking of declining is she came to see us when we were joint sole agency (ie 2%) but we have since sacked on eagent and are now on with only 1 for a flat fee of £2,500. If we accepted her offer, we would be down not only the £2k from the asking price but also another 2+k because of the higher fees we would have to pay as she initially viewed the house when we were on with 2 agents. (I hope this makes sense!) As we are still fairly young we have a massive mortgage and some debts to clear before we leave (I am a major shop-o-holic) so at full asking price, we would only have about £30k to take with us. What should we do?
All advice gratefully received! [/QUOTE

OMG we dropped £25k and still accepted an offer 8k lower! don't turn down that offer!
Old Jan 28th 2006, 10:32 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

OMG we dropped £25k and still accepted an offer 8k lower! don't turn down that offer![/QUOTE]

Yes BUT we are only looking at taking 30k top whack, so if we take a lower offer we might only be taking 23k! :scared: I know my buyer personally, and i know she is taking the p*ss, so we are holding our nerve.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

if we take a lower offer we might only be taking 23k!
And if you don't, you might only be taking 3k.

There's a house near where I work which has 'sold' three times in the last eighteen months, only to fall through every time: which isn't surprising as I'd say it's about 150k overpriced. It just 'sold' again and I firmly expect the sale to fall through again. That ain't a seller's market.

Property is simply a buyer's market right now: if you hold out for as much money as you can get, you might get lucky and find a buyer who doesn't realise that and hands over your full asking price, then goes through to completion. But IMHO you're far more likely to have to sell in six months for far less.

Your choice, but if I had a house to get rid of before I emigrate, I'd take any firm offer I could get. Prices in the UK are only going one way over the next few years, and that's down. Same, most likely, in Australia.

If you really want to emigrate, why let your house turn into a prison?
Old Jan 29th 2006, 9:36 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

But it's more like 4-4.5 k when you take into account the extortionate agents fees...and that's assuming she pays £238. We have already reduced it from £247! This is a nightmare!
Depends on how soon you want to move to Oz too. If you dont have a time limit then maybe you could hold out and wait for a better offer. But in view of the fact that she has no house to sell and that if you don't accept then you have to take into account the mortgage you will continue to pay until you get an offer you find acceptable it may take some time.
We dropped our property by 30,000 pounds and although we had 2 offers of the asking price they were not in as good a position to buy as the people who eventually bought our property, unfortunately we needed to sell quickly. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 11:26 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

OMG we dropped £25k and still accepted an offer 8k lower! don't turn down that offer!

Yes BUT we are only looking at taking 30k top whack, so if we take a lower offer we might only be taking 23k! :scared: I know my buyer personally, and i know she is taking the p*ss, so we are holding our nerve.[/QUOTE]

Lucy, I thought you'd decided to accept the offer? did you change your mind?

23K is still a good amount to go out with. Some people seem to manage very well with much less than that. Its your choice at the end of the day, anyway good luck with everything.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 9:41 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, here's an update for you!

I decided NOT to accept her offer, as some of you realised. She has come back today and offered £500 under what we wanted, so you can imagine I am dead chuffed. I knew I was right to go with my gut instinct!

The even better news is that work have told me I can use the Emirates Staff offer of £50 per person, per sector which means it will only cost the 4 of us a total of £400 plus tax to get to Melbourne, and then we can book a cheap flight onwards to Adelaide!

OH, plus my car is worth £2k more than I thought too. Just finised a lurvely bottle of champagne!
Old Feb 1st 2006, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

UOTE=lucyb]Well, here's an update for you!

I decided NOT to accept her offer, as some of you realised. She has come back today and offered £500 under what we wanted, so you can imagine I am dead chuffed. I knew I was right to go with my gut instinct!

The even better news is that work have told me I can use the Emirates Staff offer of £50 per person, per sector which means it will only cost the 4 of us a total of £400 plus tax to get to Melbourne, and then we can book a cheap flight onwards to Adelaide!

OH, plus my car is worth £2k more than I thought too. Just finised a lurvely bottle of champagne! [/QUOTE]
Nice one ,now that is what i call good news.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 3:59 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

But it's more like 4-4.5 k when you take into account the extortionate agents fees...and that's assuming she pays £238. We have already reduced it from £247! This is a nightmare!
If you take the money and bank it the interest will give you more than you would lose if you wait for the full asking price down the line and have to wait several months when all the tieme the exchange rate is falling also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.