Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Had an offer today! What should we do? ADVICE PLS!

Had an offer today! What should we do? ADVICE PLS!

Old Jan 27th 2006, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Had an offer today! What should we do? ADVICE PLS!

Hi Lucyb

To put another perspective on your question, it doesn't seem that long ago when you thought the world had ended when your initial visa application went all horribly wrong and you didn't think you had any chance of getting over here. If someone had said to you then, we'll get you there but it'll cost you another 5 grand, what would you have said?

Do you sit and wait for another few months for a few grand,when the house market could go down further or do you get the ball rolling and just get over here?

whichever route you choose, you WILL look back on this one day and laugh, cause I think the majority of us that have got here so far all have!

Good luck

N.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 4:58 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucyb
But it's more like 4-4.5 k when you take into account the extortionate agents fees...and that's assuming she pays £238. We have already reduced it from £247! This is a nightmare!
sorry - sue me, but my heart aint bleeding here! I would guess that your 247 was simply over optimistic and 239 is a realistic price.

you may have done all the sums and been glad of the extra 8k, but it was only paper/smoke money - not real.

now as for this woman offering you 238 and you thinking it is going to cost you 4+k, then sorry again, but that is your problem not hers.

as you said, you are both young, and 30+k is a lot of money to start off a new life with. I mean, you're not going to emigrate and buy a house with no mortgage - unless you are in your late 40s upwards, that is simply unrealistic - very few people in the world can afford to do this.

personally I would say, take the 235 now rather than hang out for 6-9 months and end up with 230.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 5:05 am
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light

OK...our house is on the market at £239,950. ( a humble 4 bed new build in West Sussex, Im afraid!) We had an offer today from someone I am aquainted with through my church, she has nothing to sell as her boyfriend dumped her on Xmas day (classy). She initially offered 233,and we laughed. She then came back with 235 and we giggled. I said we wouldn't even think about taking less than 238. One of the main reasons Im thinking of declining is she came to see us when we were joint sole agency (ie 2%) but we have since sacked on eagent and are now on with only 1 for a flat fee of £2,500. If we accepted her offer, we would be down not only the £2k from the asking price but also another 2+k because of the higher fees we would have to pay as she initially viewed the house when we were on with 2 agents. (I hope this makes sense!) As we are still fairly young we have a massive mortgage and some debts to clear before we leave (I am a major shop-o-holic) so at full asking price, we would only have about £30k to take with us. What should we do?

All advice gratefully received!
How bad do you want to go to Aus. There are people on here who have had their houses on the market for 6 months or more...
Take the offer and run with it...
CORKER..
Old Jan 27th 2006, 5:16 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Is one of you not really sure about the move?

Do you think maybe you are using the house as a security blanket? You know "we can't go unless we get this for the house..."

Maybe you should sit down and talk to each other about if you both really do want to come here and if so whether GBP2 - 5K is much of a sacrifice for the opurtunity of a life down under. If you didn't sell and had to validate your visa how much would that cost with flights, insurance accom. etc.

I could have the completely wrong idea about your situation but it may be a good idea to sit down and be realistic.

I wish you well with what ever you decide about the house.

Louise.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 6:39 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

So I guess my next question should be...'are we buggered if we arrive in Adelaide with only £25k!?'
Lucy, if we get a visa it'll be because of the ability to pay the $100k Cap Inv. and that means that we'll probably only arrive with something like £15k until we get the bond back - and that's for a family of 4!. It just means that we'll have to look for work quicker but we're sure it'll be alright.

You say you're a shopaholic - does that mean you've got a wardrobe full of decent clobber (some of which you might find too warm for Adelaide) - get ebaying - good quality clothes, bags, shoes sell well there and you may make a few hundred which'll make that price drop on the house a "little" sweeter.

A year from now (or earlier), I'm going to take you out for a drink in Adelaide and we'll sit back and laugh about this b****y migration process And hey, if we're skint 'cause we got less for our houses than we hoped, then rather than a swanky bar or restaraunt, we'll fill and eski and have a picnic in the sun

Good luck

Gill
Old Jan 27th 2006, 6:44 am
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

We took 30K less than the asking price but i suppose it all depends on what you are budgeting for

We have no chain and from offer to exchange, we are looking at 4-6 weeks in total

Best of luck what ever you choose but just weigh everything up

Rob

OK...our house is on the market at £239,950. ( a humble 4 bed new build in West Sussex, Im afraid!) We had an offer today from someone I am aquainted with through my church, she has nothing to sell as her boyfriend dumped her on Xmas day (classy). She initially offered 233,and we laughed. She then came back with 235 and we giggled. I said we wouldn't even think about taking less than 238. One of the main reasons Im thinking of declining is she came to see us when we were joint sole agency (ie 2%) but we have since sacked on eagent and are now on with only 1 for a flat fee of £2,500. If we accepted her offer, we would be down not only the £2k from the asking price but also another 2+k because of the higher fees we would have to pay as she initially viewed the house when we were on with 2 agents. (I hope this makes sense!) As we are still fairly young we have a massive mortgage and some debts to clear before we leave (I am a major shop-o-holic) so at full asking price, we would only have about £30k to take with us. What should we do?

Old Jan 27th 2006, 7:22 am

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much for all of your replies! We are going to take the money and get packing. A bird in the hand and all that!

Lucy
x
Old Jan 27th 2006, 7:41 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for all of your replies! We are going to take the money and get packing. A bird in the hand and all that!

Lucy
x
So chuffed for you both. Great news.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 8:32 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Lucy
x

Go for it! and the best of luck to you with your move!
Old Jan 27th 2006, 9:03 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

I'd take it. That amount in the scheme of thinfgs aint that much!

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jan 27th 2006, 9:05 am
vb2
bradford 2 brissy at last

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of

think yourself lucky we have lost £10 grand on ours!!! offer was well below asking price but i would rather have accepted that, than be hanging around for months and months until another buyer comes along.

if i were you, i would bite her hand off at that offer

regards

vb2
Old Jan 27th 2006, 9:54 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Lucy
x
Luce, just caught up on this thread, and I think you're doing the right thing, love. I'll keep everything crossed for you that the sale goes through smoothly.

Nicky
Old Jan 27th 2006, 9:59 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

"SELL ... SELL ... SELL ..."

Old Jan 27th 2006, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

jonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to all

Originally Posted by robos
probably gonna be shot down in flames here but heh!

i have spoken to my wife about this and i firmly believe you should hold out for the maximum price that you can get. its ok people saying that you should take the money and sell rather than being stuck with an unsold house on your hands, but whats the problem? in our position we are in need of every penny we can get. also people think that they have you over a barrel in so much that they know that you are migrating and so think that you will take whatever they throw at you. stick with your gut feeling on this one, after all the extra money could finance your first couple of months when you move, when you are most vulnerable and most need it!!! thats what we will be doing, right or wrong, after all we plan so thoroughly all the way through the whole process, why panic and cave in on something as important as this. good luck gary & jan xxx

sorry to say this but it has to be said get REAL, you are cutting your nose to spite you face. if she say no and walks and you have to wait another 6 months how much is that going to cost in mortage payments (a lot more than 2K)
Old Jan 27th 2006, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jonjon
sorry to say this but it has to be said get REAL, you are cutting your nose to spite you face. if she say no and walks and you have to wait another 6 months how much is that going to cost in mortage payments (a lot more than 2K)
Absolutely, can't believe you had to question it, Sell, Sell, Sell, we got an offer on ours £5000 under and accepted it after only being on the market for a week!! :scared: Also you never really expect to pay the full asking price on a property anyway, if you get it your'e considered very lucky. We've just had a really indepth survey done on ours too, so we can guarantee some more money to be knocked our house no doubt

So good on you Lucy, you're definatley doing the right thing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.