British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Had NZ medicals today (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/had-nz-medicals-today-108284/)

Watt Dabney Aug 27th 2002 4:10 pm

Had NZ medicals today

Hi all

We had our NZ medicals today and i'm pretty sure everthing went OK. The only area that may be of concern is that our daughters heart murmur was picked up, although I did bring a copy of the letter from B'ham childrens Hosp saying that she had had a scan and everything was structurally OK, which they kept with the medical forms. Our consultant said they may want cetified copies of this letter but he would reveiw the medicals on receipt and make a decision. So fingers crossed.
We had the medicals & X-rays done at Handsworth Wood Medical Services, B'ham. Have to say lovely place, lovely staff in and out in 2 1/2 hours. Cost 2 adults & 2 children under 11 £335.00

Adult medical £80 x2
Child medical £30 x2
Adult X-ray £35x2
Adult blood test £15 x3 ( 1 extra for my tattoo!)

I have to say though getting my 4yr old daughter to pee in one of those tiny test tube phials was quite a tricky and drawnout process :D

Wait for the results, next step lodge the application :cool:

Paula

Smokey Aug 27th 2002 5:38 pm

Re: Had NZ medicals today

Originally posted by Watt Dabney:
Hi all

We had our NZ medicals today and i'm pretty sure everthing went OK. The only area that may be of concern is that our daughters heart murmur was picked up, although I did bring a copy of the letter from B'ham childrens Hosp saying that she had had a scan and everything was structurally OK, which they kept with the medical forms. Our consultant said they may want cetified copies of this letter but he would reveiw the medicals on receipt and make a decision. So fingers crossed.
We had the medicals & X-rays done at Handsworth Wood Medical Services, B'ham. Have to say lovely place, lovely staff in and out in 2 1/2 hours. Cost 2 adults & 2 children under 11 £335.00

Adult medical £80 x2
Child medical £30 x2
Adult X-ray £35x2
Adult blood test £15 x3 ( 1 extra for my tattoo!)

I have to say though getting my 4yr old daughter to pee in one of those tiny test tube phials was quite a tricky and drawnout process :D

Wait for the results, next step lodge the application :cool:

Paula
Hi Paula,

Thanks for posting the info - useful to know. They're not as expensive as I thought they might be.

Thanks, Pat.

Emmy & Phil Aug 27th 2002 8:25 pm

"Watt Dabney" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all
    > We had our NZ medicals today and i'm pretty sure everthing went OK. The only area
    > that may be of concern is that our daughters heart murmur was picked up, although I
    > did bring a copy of the letter from B'ham childrens Hosp saying that she had had a
    > scan and everything was structurally OK, which they kept with the medical forms.

I have a murmur and i enclosed a letter from my cardiologist saying it was not a
problem and doesnt affect my everyday living, Our lady at NZIS said our medicals
were fine!!

Our consultant
    > said they may want cetified copies of this letter but he would reveiw the medicals
    > on receipt and make a decision. So fingers crossed. We had the medicals & X-rays
    > done at Handsworth Wood Medical Services, B'ham. Have to say lovely place, lovely
    > staff in and out in 2 1/2 hours. Cost 2 adults & 2 children under 11 £335.00
    > Adult medical £80 x2 Child medical £30 x2 Adult X-ray £35x2 Adult blood test £15
    > x3 ( 1 extra for my tattoo!)

I also have tattoos but i only had one blood test!!! What was the blood test for?

> I have to say though getting my 4yr old daughter to pee in one of those tiny test
    > tube phials was quite a tricky and drawnout process :D

Matthew was still in nappies so that was really easy, we just waited for he to wee
and pressed the "stick" on it, Sorted : )

> Wait for the results, next step lodge the application :cool:
    > Paula
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

I'm sure it will all be fine

Emily

Watt Dabney Aug 27th 2002 9:06 pm

Emily,

Thanks for the reassuring words.
think the issue with the cardiologists letter is that it is a copy of a letter sent to my daughters GP last year when her murmur was invesigated. Our consultant is concerned that NZIS may want to see an original letter or a certified copy (which this wasn't) Mind you its on B'ham Childrens Hosp headed paper signed by consultant pediatric cardiologist and stamped as received by our GP so hope it will be good enough. The doctor who did the medical said in the notes that it was an innocent murmer as well.

as for the blood test if you have a tattoo u are supposed to have a hepatitis B test (also if u have body piercing other than earlobe or work in the medical or nursing profession)

Hows NZ?

Can't wait to get there myself.

cheers
Paula

:beer:

Emmy & Phil Aug 28th 2002 1:28 am

My letter was also a photocopy, so i don't see it as being a problem. As for the hep
b, i thought that i needed it, but the doctor who took my blood said that i didn't!!!
I do hope that wont be a problem later!!

Emily

"Watt Dabney" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Emily,
    > Thanks for the reassuring words. think the issue with the cardiologists letter is
    > that it is a copy of a letter sent to my daughters GP last year when her murmur was
    > invesigated. Our consultant is concerned that NZIS may want to see an original
    > letter or a certified copy (which this wasn't) Mind you its on B'ham Childrens Hosp
    > headed paper signed by consultant pediatric cardiologist and stamped as received by
    > our GP so hope it will be good enough. The doctor who did the medical said in the
    > notes that it was an innocent murmer as well.
    > as for the blood test if you have a tattoo u are supposed to have a hepatitis B
    > test (also if u have body piercing other than earlobe or work in the medical or
    > nursing profession)
    > Hows NZ?
    > Can't wait to get there myself.
    > cheers Paula
    > :beer:
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Ian Guy Aug 28th 2002 11:16 am

So long as the murmer isn't requiring treatment there will be no hassles.

"Emmy & Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My letter was also a photocopy, so i don't see it as being a problem. As
for
    > the hep b, i thought that i needed it, but the doctor who took my blood
said
    > that i didn't!!! I do hope that wont be a problem later!!
    > Emily
    > "Watt Dabney" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Emily,
    > >
    > > Thanks for the reassuring words. think the issue with the cardiologists letter is
    > > that it is a copy of a letter sent to my daughters GP last year when her murmur
    > > was invesigated. Our consultant is concerned that NZIS may want to see an
    > > original letter or a certified copy (which this wasn't) Mind you its on B'ham
    > > Childrens Hosp headed paper signed by consultant pediatric cardiologist and
    > > stamped as received by our GP so hope it will be good enough. The doctor who did
    > > the medical said in the notes that it was an innocent murmer as well.
    > >
    > > as for the blood test if you have a tattoo u are supposed to have a hepatitis B
    > > test (also if u have body piercing other than earlobe or work in the medical or
    > > nursing profession)
    > >
    > > Hows NZ?
    > >
    > > Can't wait to get there myself.
    > >
    > >
    > > cheers Paula
    > >
    > > :beer:
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    > >

lizzie Aug 28th 2002 12:16 pm

think the issue with the cardiologists letter is that it is a copy of a letter sent to my daughters GP last year when her murmur was invesigated. Our consultant is concerned that NZIS may want to see an original letter or a certified copy (which this wasn't) Mind you its on B'ham Childrens Hosp headed paper signed by consultant pediatric cardiologist and stamped as received by our GP so hope it will be good enough. The doctor who did the medical said in the notes that it was an innocent murmer as well.

Hi Paula

You should all be fine. I took a whole wadge of photocopies from my GPs file regarding gynae op. and we passed our medicals with NZIS without being asked for certified copies. I symphathise about the 4 year old, it took me half an hour to coax our 6 year old to wee - no wonder my blood pressure was raised!!!!

Good luck with the application, they seem to be coming through really quickly, ours only took 3 weeks!

Lizzie :D

Watt Dabney Aug 28th 2002 12:42 pm

Hi Lizzie,

Thanks for the reasurring words. Especially the news about the speed of visa processing as the estate agents were on to me today trying to get us to move out earlier :cool:
When are you heading out? because i think we are both heading to the same destination, Christchurch.

Paula

lizzie Aug 28th 2002 1:00 pm

Hi Lizzie,

Thanks for the reasurring words. Especially the news about the speed of visa processing as the estate agents were on to me today trying to get us to move out earlier :cool:
When are you heading out? because i think we are both heading to the same destination, Christchurch.

Paula
Hi Paula

Yes, Christchurch is the place we are headed too. We are looking at going on 19th November but we are going on the work deferral visa thing, so at the moment I'm not sure whether my partner is going to go first to secure the necessary job whilst I stay here to sell the house. This way the children can continue at school until we get PR, I asked about taking them out of school for a couple of months and then returning to sell house, but was told they couldn't keep their places open at school. We don't want to sell the house here until we are sure we are staying there for good. Sorry to waffle but my mind is full of "what ifs" at the moment. It's not easy to be flexible at this time of year as the flights fill up pretty quickly around Xmas time.

Have you been to Christchurch before, do you know which area you prefer? We haven't been so that is why we are being ever so cautious. I told my mother today that we could be going before Christmas and she didn't look too pleased, that's another thing I keep pushing to the back of my mind, the guilt at taking her grandchildren away.

Still, must keep positive and try and chill.:cool:

Lizzie

Watt Dabney Aug 28th 2002 1:28 pm

Hi Lizzie,

No, never been to Christchurch before, infact we've never been to NZ before :eek: Still in for a penny and all that!!!
Altough we have got the security of my hubby having already secured a job over there. His company are going to find us 4 weeks temp accomodation on arrival. Looking at the maps and real estate sites etc we may be interested in living just outside CChurch (Rangiora,Kaiapoi,Woodend,Waikuku etc) but obviously we will have to wait till we have seen these places for ourselves first.
We are looking at flying out in Nov, basically as soon as the visas are granted i will be on the phone booking a removal date and plane tickets! trying to fit in the move before xmas is going to be tight but Ians employer is pushing for him to be out there asap and we are not in a postion to stall!! Ian won't go out before us because he refuses to be separated from the kids at that time of year so it is all going to be a bit of a rush !!

Still the less time to stop and think about the scale of our adventure the better!

Seriously i can't wait its just the logistics that freak me out
:scared:

By the way your husbands not into motorbikes is he ? mine is and he is keen to chat with someone who is going to NZ and into bikes .

See you
Paula

lizzie Aug 28th 2002 2:01 pm

Still the less time to stop and think about the scale of our adventure the better!

Seriously i can't wait its just the logistics that freak me out
:scared:

By the way your husbands not into motorbikes is he ? mine is and he is keen to chat with someone who is going to NZ and into bikes .

See you
Paula
I still can't believe that we are being so adventurous as we have never done anything remotely so before now. I keep telling myself it is just a fear of the unknown and we'll be fine.

My partner isn't keen on Christmas, I like to make a big deal of it for the kids but he hates anything which involves a lot of fuss so he'll probably be glad to escape it this year.

Into motorbikes - he'd like to be but I won't let him, he's lethal enough in a car. We once had to look after his brother's Harley for a few months, after one night in our garage dropping oil everywhere I had him turf it outside. Guess who was in trouble months later when it started to rust?!!!

Anyway, better let you get on, lots to organise.

Lizzie:D