Had Med Today!

Old Apr 6th 2004, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

PHIZA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Had Med Today!

Well the day I've been dreading finally arrived today..... the scarey med. :scared:
There was only me to "do", cos Missus Phiza already has Oz passport, and while I was getting prodded and poked, she took the kids to the Australian Consulate in Manchester to sort out their Oz passports too.

Went to Dr Millions in Manchester, appointment was at 9.30am. As we live a fair way away we had decided to travel down the previous day and stay overnight at the Travelodge on Blackfriars St. which is less than 10mins walk to the doctors surgery. This was much more preferable than trying to negotate the M60, M61 etc at rush hour! Just think of the blood pressure!

So for anyone who may be interested I'll just try to quickly go through the whole medical process:-

Arrived, asked to provide sample, then waited to be called by Dr. Millions, who by the way is an absolute top bloke who really puts you at your ease.

First checked the sample with the old litmus paper, given the all clear. I was relieved that it didn't show up the medicinal bottle of Ozzy red I'd had in the hotel room the night before.

Dr checked through the medical forms, I have High BP which is easilly controlled by tablets so he asked a few questions about what tests I'd had (I had obtained a explainatory letter from my GP and he was happy with that).

Asked if I had any tattoos, (I have three) so this meant would need Hep B test.

Then came the really scarey bit.......height (socks off) and weight. I'm not going to embarass myself by divulging the hideous truth of my weight..... (especially after some of the less than kind posts that some of us less than slim people have had to endure recently! ) but suffice to say, it made Dr Million take a sharp intake of breath.

Then had to strip down to the undercrackers.

Next the BP test......(another thing I'd been worried about) it was slightly high but Dr Million just said not to worry as it was obviously a bit of "White Coat Hypertension" and that it was fine. Also took the blood for the blood tests.

Then he checked reflexes, told me to lay on my back, checked lower abdomen for hernias , asked me to cough while prodding this region.
Then he asked if he could "check yer knackaaaz"! (his words!!), give em a quick feel and that was that.

Put clothes back on, and he finished filling out the forms, gave me Catagory "B", due to BP history and no doubt excess baggage I'm carrying, but put a fairly long comment on bottom saying he couldn't see any major problems and that there was nothing that needed any further investigation.

I'm front loading for a Spouse Visa and after explaining this to the good Doctor, he informed me that he would still send off the Sealed Medical forms to London when the blood tests were complete and he added a note to the forms to say it was a front loaded application.

The last thing to do was to go back downstairs and get the X-ray done by the in-house radiologist, then pay for the lot!

Costs as follows (all prices for one adult):-

Medical £75.00
X-Ray £35.00
HIV Test £16.00
Hepatitus B Test £18.00
Courier Charge £10.00

Total £154.00

Once again can thoroughly recommend Dr Million.

Sorry it ended up such a long post, but it may be of interest to someone.
Old Apr 6th 2004, 5:42 pm
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough

Glad they are over for you, its a nightmare isn't it!!!
Old Apr 6th 2004, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Thank you for taking the time to relay your experience!

From another Med - Dreader!!
Old Apr 6th 2004, 5:53 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: Had Med Today!

Good man. Fantastic relay of medical examination. This should put the men out there at ease:scared: :scared: [babies!]

One thing though......hubby tells me his Dr didn't feel his crown jewells .

Seems from previous threads, some do, some don't . Maybe only those that are special

Phoenixuk2oz

Last edited by Phoenixuk2oz; Apr 6th 2004 at 6:03 pm.

Old Apr 6th 2004, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats - hope the rest of the process goes so well!
Old Apr 7th 2004, 8:47 am
Reticent Member

she'llberight is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by PHIZA
Well the day I've been dreading finally arrived today..... the scarey med. :scared:
There was only me to "do", cos Missus Phiza already has Oz passport, and while I was getting prodded and poked, she took the kids to the Australian Consulate in Manchester to sort out their Oz passports too.

Went to Dr Millions in Manchester, appointment was at 9.30am. As we live a fair way away we had decided to travel down the previous day and stay overnight at the Travelodge on Blackfriars St. which is less than 10mins walk to the doctors surgery. This was much more preferable than trying to negotate the M60, M61 etc at rush hour! Just think of the blood pressure!

So for anyone who may be interested I'll just try to quickly go through the whole medical process:-

Arrived, asked to provide sample, then waited to be called by Dr. Millions, who by the way is an absolute top bloke who really puts you at your ease.

First checked the sample with the old litmus paper, given the all clear. I was relieved that it didn't show up the medicinal bottle of Ozzy red I'd had in the hotel room the night before.

Dr checked through the medical forms, I have High BP which is easilly controlled by tablets so he asked a few questions about what tests I'd had (I had obtained a explainatory letter from my GP and he was happy with that).

Asked if I had any tattoos, (I have three) so this meant would need Hep B test.

Then came the really scarey bit.......height (socks off) and weight. I'm not going to embarass myself by divulging the hideous truth of my weight..... (especially after some of the less than kind posts that some of us less than slim people have had to endure recently! ) but suffice to say, it made Dr Million take a sharp intake of breath.

Then had to strip down to the undercrackers.

Next the BP test......(another thing I'd been worried about) it was slightly high but Dr Million just said not to worry as it was obviously a bit of "White Coat Hypertension" and that it was fine. Also took the blood for the blood tests.

Then he checked reflexes, told me to lay on my back, checked lower abdomen for hernias , asked me to cough while prodding this region.
Then he asked if he could "check yer knackaaaz"! (his words!!), give em a quick feel and that was that.

Put clothes back on, and he finished filling out the forms, gave me Catagory "B", due to BP history and no doubt excess baggage I'm carrying, but put a fairly long comment on bottom saying he couldn't see any major problems and that there was nothing that needed any further investigation.

I'm front loading for a Spouse Visa and after explaining this to the good Doctor, he informed me that he would still send off the Sealed Medical forms to London when the blood tests were complete and he added a note to the forms to say it was a front loaded application.

The last thing to do was to go back downstairs and get the X-ray done by the in-house radiologist, then pay for the lot!

Costs as follows (all prices for one adult):-

Medical £75.00
X-Ray £35.00
HIV Test £16.00
Hepatitus B Test £18.00
Courier Charge £10.00

Total £154.00

Once again can thoroughly recommend Dr Million.

Sorry it ended up such a long post, but it may be of interest to someone.

Thanks for informative post, I've read posts from others who have done the dreaded deed but not come across one which walked us through the process. I also have high blood pressure which is kept under control by medication so to see that it won't be too much of a hurdle is comforting to know (not too sure of the 'under the pinnie' stuff though!) - I presume for us ladies they don't delve where the sun don't shine? Or do they? Now I'm getting panicky! Someone please clarify?
Old Apr 7th 2004, 10:47 am
Badge

Default Knacker Checker

I've had stacks of medicals in my time - at one point, once every year or two, and until recently, no doctor has ever had a decent look. I feel almost insulted. Some of the medicals have ranged from 'can you see snooker balls, how many fingers' to the full BMI and fat analysis, and press a button 'Family Fortunes booth' when you think you hear a noise variety.

I grew up with playground horror stories of all the veritable things the blonde nurses would do to my bits to make sure I 'could get it up', but as I went in to adulthood I am still none the wiser as to why they are supposed to look at your bits.

I joked about it to a female doctor once, BAD MOVE, a few years ago, and next she said, "OK seeing as you ask, I'm gonna have a look". I was mortified at my stupidity. She then had a good feel, and was having a long lengthy yarn about how to check for cancer, and all the while I was saying, "yup, OK, sure, good point, understand you exactly, really? how interesting" whilst my bits tried to hide around the corner out the way of her hands and her gaze.....

BM

Old Apr 7th 2004, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to all

Thats interesting about the hepititis bloods because of the tattoo. Steve has a tattoo and our doctor didn't ask him if he had one. We only had blood tests for HIV at a cost of £29 each. We were wondering why we only had the one test. Doesn't it specifically ask for blood tests for both?

Has anyone else been asked about tattoos. Now all our paperwork has gone to Adelaide I was breathing a sigh of relief, maybe I should hit panic mode again!!!!!!!!!!!

Jo
:scared:
Old Apr 7th 2004, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

We had our meds on Friday in Chichester. It's quite hard to park there, so arrive in plenty of time. The receptionist was really nice and gave my daughter loads of squash as she found it hard to do a wee in the sample jar!
The Chichester doctor does boob checks - its really odd lying there like you're topless on the beach, but its over quickly and he calls for a chaperone as a matter of course. I've never been shown how to check me boobs, so at least I've learnt that now!He also checked my tummy - think it's for hernias? Didn't go anywhere near the knickers, so don't worry!
Being mildly asthmatic, he took my peak flow, but as I said I hardly use my inhaler, it wasn't a problem.
Other things - weight, height, eye check with light, ears, have to read an eyechart while cupping your other eye etc. He tested my reflexes - didn't hurt, no foot scrapes. Think he also listened to my chest - I remember him listening to my daughters. He asked a few questions about what I'd written on the form & gave me a bit of advice. He's a laid back chap, oldish & I felt at ease, apart from the boob feel, but that would make me nervous anyway!
My 6 year old daughter had to pee in a jar (there's a loo near the waiting room) but my 17 month old boy didn't have to (phew).
No testicle check for Blim - not fair really, is it?
For the x-rays you have to take your bra and top off, but there are changing boothes and you get to wear a nice green gown. The radiologist in Chichester was really nice- turns out she is headed for Brissy!
Old Apr 7th 2004, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Ooops nearly forgot to add that we had blood tests too - this was just for the adults and wasn't particularly painful (She speaks from previous experience with fiddly nurses!).

I think the price in Chichester is quiet reasonable - £260.00 for a family of 4... Xrays were additional - can't remember the price as Blim paid. You go for the xrays at the hospital in the morning, pick them up after 1.00pm and the first appoinment is at 2.00pm. We had all finished by about 4.00pm ish.