Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Had enough of UK - coming back to Oz early

Had enough of UK - coming back to Oz early

Old Jul 10th 2012, 10:38 am
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Had enough of UK - coming back to Oz early

Holey moley we've only been back 15 months, husband's contract was/is for 3 years but we're fed up with the UK. Weather doesn't help! So, even though we'll lose a packet of money we've decided that we'll come back early. Our house in Melbourne is leased out for another 18 months and husband has been offered a transfer to (eek) Brisbane....We've got friends moving there at the end of the year as well so it feels right.

We'll miss the UK countryside, the dog walks, the variety, the NHS, the telly, cheap shopping, 'nice' London and just being British if that makes sense - but for day to day reality we feel that Oz offers our family a better life. I know it's got it's problems, and yes the telly is crap and the politicians laughable and the cost of living is too high but on balance it still beats the UK for us.

So, Brisbane here we come, well for 18 months at least. Can't believe it, every time I've been there I've ended up hammered. And very sweaty. Cor blimey though - the real estate looks fantastic, pinching ourselves at how cheap it is compared to Melbourne.

Catch you at the Pig n Whistle dudes!
Old Jul 10th 2012, 10:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Had enough of UK - coming back to Oz early

Originally Posted by Peepster
Holey moley we've only been back 15 months, husband's contract was/is for 3 years but we're fed up with the UK. Weather doesn't help! So, even though we'll lose a packet of money we've decided that we'll come back early. Our house in Melbourne is leased out for another 18 months and husband has been offered a transfer to (eek) Brisbane....We've got friends moving there at the end of the year as well so it feels right.

We'll miss the UK countryside, the dog walks, the variety, the NHS, the telly, cheap shopping, 'nice' London and just being British if that makes sense - but for day to day reality we feel that Oz offers our family a better life. I know it's got it's problems, and yes the telly is crap and the politicians laughable and the cost of living is too high but on balance it still beats the UK for us.

So, Brisbane here we come, well for 18 months at least. Can't believe it, every time I've been there I've ended up hammered. And very sweaty. Cor blimey though - the real estate looks fantastic, pinching ourselves at how cheap it is compared to Melbourne.

Catch you at the Pig n Whistle dudes!
Cheap isn't a word that comes to mind here any more I'm afraid

Might see you in the Pig sometime
Old Jul 10th 2012, 10:59 am
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Might see you in the Pig sometime
I'll hold you to that darl, TED's on me! Yum yum.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 11:31 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

SPLITTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 10th 2012, 11:36 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
SPLITTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There's a TEDS in the fridge here waiting for you, but at this rate I might have to drink it myself
Old Jul 10th 2012, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

There's a TEDS in the fridge here waiting for you, but at this rate I might have to drink it myself
You keep a pair of those sexy white support stockings they give to patients in hospital in your FRIDGE?????

You're one sick woman....

You know that dont you
Old Jul 10th 2012, 12:23 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by eddie007
You keep a pair of those sexy white support stockings they give to patients in hospital in your FRIDGE?????

You're one sick woman....

You know that dont you
Its in there keeping cold for Bernie, nowt to do with me he does have some funny habits....
Old Jul 10th 2012, 12:25 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Peep!
Old Jul 10th 2012, 12:39 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Its in there keeping cold for Bernie, nowt to do with me he does have some funny habits....
OH YOU JUST HAD TO TELL THE WORLD I LIKE TO DRESS AS A NUN,WELL THANK YOU VERY MUCH,i'm off to prayers
Old Jul 10th 2012, 12:54 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
OH YOU JUST HAD TO TELL THE WORLD I LIKE TO DRESS AS A NUN,WELL THANK YOU VERY MUCH,i'm off to prayers

How are your knees these days? I hear all this kneeling to pray can do lasting damage
Old Jul 10th 2012, 1:07 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 10th 2012, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

We'll miss the UK countryside, the variety, the NHS, the telly, cheap shopping, 'nice' London and just being British if that makes sense - but for day to day reality we feel that Oz offers our family a better life.

Add to that National Trust, English heritage, but I am with you. On balance the work life balance seems better down under

We will have notched up 2 years by the time we return to Aus in September. I feel kind of sad for UK...it seems to be falling into an abyss.

Hope your return to Brissy goes well.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 10:07 am
Random Member

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Good luck Peep!
Thanks MP!

Not sure how I'll cope in Brisbane, I am not one for the humidity. And I keep reading worrying things about the 'burbs being like ghost towns after 8pm. But I will embrace it - we will buy a metallic purple ute, some rugby league tops, crank up Jimmy on the ipod and Mr P will purchase an axle-grinder to fire up at 7.30am every Sunday morning. Good times ahead!!

Pomster - are we following each other? Where you going back to - Melbourne?
Old Jul 11th 2012, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Damn I'm confused as to which one is which.... Who's the one from Paco ?

Melbournes not travelling quite as well as it has for the past 15 years. Which is probably a good time to return as prices are getting cheaper.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Damn I'm confused as to which one is which.... Who's the one from Paco ?

Melbournes not travelling quite as well as it has for the past 15 years. Which is probably a good time to return as prices are getting cheaper.
me! And we have met some time ago on a curry night. Good to know the impact we made!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.