Had a bad week

Old Jan 18th 2005, 7:47 am
joveazey

Default Had a bad week

Hi all,

Things aren't going well, haven't sold the house yet and then on Friday I had a car accident and wrote the car off. This man hit me as I was turning right (his fault). Didn't care about the car, obviously, but my little boy Flynn who is only 18mths was in the back sitting on the side the car hit. I had to get him out of the window as the whole side of the car was smashed in and the window had shattered. It was the scariest thing ever. He was ok, thank God for carseats (Maxicosie). He had a bump on his head where he had hit the high sides of the car seat, more like a burn really and his little hand was bruised with a burn on it (from the material of the seat I think). We went to the hospital just to check he was ok and they tried to xray his hand but he wouldn't keep still. He was back to his normal hyper little boy self after 10 mins !

Don't know why I'm telling you this, I think it helps to write it down because I keep going over it in my head. Thanks for listening.

Jo

Old Jan 18th 2005, 8:02 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Had a bad week

Originally Posted by joveazey
Hi all,

Things aren't going well, haven't sold the house yet and then on Friday I had a car accident and wrote the car off. This man hit me as I was turning right (his fault). Didn't care about the car, obviously, but my little boy Flynn who is only 18mths was in the back sitting on the side the car hit. I had to get him out of the window as the whole side of the car was smashed in and the window had shattered. It was the scariest thing ever. He was ok, thank God for carseats (Maxicosie). He had a bump on his head where he had hit the high sides of the car seat, more like a burn really and his little hand was bruised with a burn on it (from the material of the seat I think). We went to the hospital just to check he was ok and they tried to xray his hand but he wouldn't keep still. He was back to his normal hyper little boy self after 10 mins !

Don't know why I'm telling you this, I think it helps to write it down because I keep going over it in my head. Thanks for listening.

Jo

You poor thing. I think anyone who's been in a car accident, or a near-miss knows how shaken up you can become. Really glad to hear you and your son are okay though.
Hoping this week is better for you - here's your first bit of karma, as a sign of things to come
Old Jan 18th 2005, 8:07 am
Professional Princess

Hi all,

Jo

I know why your writing about it Jo, its because you're still in shock and the 'what ifs' are going through your mind.

Which is all perfectly normal. Just give your little boy a hug and thank god that he and yourself are OK.

Take care

Sam

Old Jan 18th 2005, 8:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I know exactly how you are feeling. Some stupid woman piled into the back of us when my eldest was about 9months. Have never been so scared in my life.

Trouble was, the woman was very upset so, because I was in shock, I was comforting her We were all fine but it still sends shivers down my spine when I think about it.

Bore people about it if need be, you will feel better
Old Jan 18th 2005, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

angel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Jo

Im sorry you have had such a terrible time recently and im glad that both you and your wee boy are okay. It must have been a shock for you but thankfully you are okay. I think kiddies are made of harder stuff than we give them credit for!!! (dosent stop us worrying tho). Hopefully your house sale will go thru soon and you will have so much more to look forward to. Il keep my fingers crossed for you and your family and im sending you my best wishes. Take care.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 9:47 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Very scarey know exactly how you feel, was in a similar situation many years ago, Jason who was about 2 at the time, he can still remember it to this day how dad crashed the car.
He was unhurt but it bugs me how it obviously remained a bad memory for him, mum got whizzed off in an ambulance he says.

Hope you feel better soon Jenny
Old Jan 18th 2005, 10:29 am
joveazey

Thank you all so much for your replies. When we get to Perth I'm going to buy a big truck with loads of bull bars !

JO
x

Old Jan 18th 2005, 10:34 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Thank you all so much for your replies. When we get to Perth I'm going to buy a big truck with loads of bull bars !

JO
x

I think you mean "a big Ute with loads of Roo bars"
Old Jan 18th 2005, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jo,

about 6 months before we left the Uk, I ( and my 4 year old and 2 year old - at the time ) were in quite a horrific car accident...a guy drove straight into the back of me ( I was parked up outside my mum and dads, ( handbreak on, reversing lights on, indictators on... no seatbelt, as I had taken it off in anticipation of reversing...How I didn't go through the windscreen is a miracle...truly ) waiting for the road to clear, so I could reverse up their drive )...

The accident guys who inspected the scene ( and the damage to my car - which was a COMPLETE write-off ) said that the fella who hit me was doing at least 60mph in a 30mph zone.... they also said that I was EXTREMELY lucky not to have had any injuries - i.e head through the windscreen....

The car had to be dragged onto the recovery vehicle, because the wheels were unable to move..., the back windscreen shattered and covered my two little babies in shards of glass, the petrol tank was found half-way along the body of the car, I had to kick the front passengers side door open to get out of the car and recover my little 'uns, because the drivers door was crushed from the impact and even the passenger door was buckled too.....

The police ( bless 'em...) woulden't come out to the scene because..." No-one is injured"...), the guy who hit me tried to get me to have a "brandy for the shock" - ( more like he was worried the coppers were coming and hoped to pin the accident on me being under the influence - which I wasn't ) and it took 3 months for the claim to come through and for me to get the value ( book price) of my car.

Tell you what though...after a few days, his insurance offered me a hire car and I took it - I got out onto the road again ( even though I was SO petrified for such a long time - paranoid that someone was going to hit me up the rear - Ooh-err!!! ) and it never stopped me - YOU DO THE SAME -

Get out there, be grateful that you are still here and live life to the full - a bit dramatic maybe, but we could have all be gonna's that day and we're still here....

Be thankful for small blessings.. ( and big ones too...

Best wishes and sorry for the essay!!!!
Old Jan 18th 2005, 12:49 pm
joveazey

Hi Leigh,

Thanks a lot for your post. I have borrowed a Toyota Previa from a friend so drove the next day (even though I didn't want to). It made me feel slightly less guilty for putting my little boy in danger after reading that it happened to you as well, and probably many others. Even when it's not your fault you feel guilty. I feel like keeping Flynn safe indoors until he's 16 !!!

Thanks again

Jo
x

Old Jan 18th 2005, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

GCS15 will become famous soon enough

JO
x
Sorry to hear that you had a bad week. At least every day brings new opportunities

A couple of points though regarding bull bars. I know that they are extremely popular at the moment. I would like for you to consider

1) Bull bars on your car would have done nothing in your last accident.

2) Had the other car had bull bars you would have had a greater chance of being seriously injured. Conversly if you have bull bars and hit another car ........

3) Look up deceleration injuries. Crumple zones are designed for a reason. Interested? US military noted that you were more likely to survive a plane crash than a crash in a jeep. Why? Planes had a natural crumple zone. When your car hits an object at 60km and you have a bull bar - car stops - your body (and your kids) keeps moving forward at 60 km - wearing a seatbelt? - your body stops but your organs keep moving - all stop rapidly. The worst I have heard about was a guys heart was ripped from it's Aorta. Not good. In the end though it's your choice.

Hope it works out for you in Perth.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 1:46 pm
joveazey

Thanks for you post GSC15

I was joking about the truck with bull bars..........

Jo