British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Gypsies ???????? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/gypsies-395798/)

stacey and jordan Sep 10th 2006 8:10 pm

Gypsies ????????

This might be a silly question but i needed to ask :) We've just had a load of Gypsies arrive on our local football fields, they were here about 6 months ago and what a mess they left behind. Does Australia have Gypsies?

Stacey xx

The Bloke Sep 10th 2006 8:15 pm

Re: Gypsies ????????

Originally Posted by stacey and jordan
This might be a silly question but i needed to ask :) We've just had a load of Gypsies arrive on our local football fields, they were here about 6 months ago and what a mess they left behind. Does Australia have Gypsies?

Stacey xx

Years ago, we had what was called swaggies(swagman).

rugbymatt Sep 10th 2006 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Years ago, we had what was called swaggies(swagman).

Jolly ones?

Clippy Sep 10th 2006 8:22 pm

Stacey xx

Lol, oh god Stacey, whereabouts is that in Brum?

The Bloke Sep 10th 2006 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Jolly ones?

Nah, mainly just out of work. They were very prevelent during the Depression era, moving from town to town looking for work but generally never causing trouble. Similar to gypsies but usually travelled alone.

http://members.optushome.com.au/rena...es/swagman.htm

rugbymatt Sep 10th 2006 8:30 pm

Nah, mainly just out of work. They were very prevelent during the Depression era, moving from town to town looking for work but generally never causing trouble.

So completely different to Pikies then!!! Ours go from town to town stealing, causing trouble and never bloody working!!!!

The Bloke Sep 10th 2006 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
So completely different to Pikies then!!! Ours go from town to town stealing, causing trouble and never bloody working!!!!

What gypsies or politicians? :D

rugbymatt Sep 10th 2006 8:35 pm

What gypsies or politicians? :D

Both! Where my mum lives David Essex is their representative. He petitioned for a block of land for them where a swimming pool once stood, then wrangled some alloy railings to go round their enclosure because they felt threatened, 6 weeks after the fence went up they had ripped it all down, sold it for scrap and moved on! Glad i pay my taxes i am!!!!

stacey and jordan Sep 10th 2006 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Clippies
Lol, oh god Stacey, whereabouts is that in Brum?

Redditch, they seem to like us for some reason. We had some Tinkers that used to come every Christmas they were lovely. The kids loved the horses and they use to sell beautiful hand made christmas decorations, and they always cleared up after themselves.

Stacey xx

Clippy Sep 10th 2006 8:48 pm

Redditch, they seem to like us for some reason. We had some Tinkers that used to come every Christmas they were lovely. The kids loved the horses and they use to sell beautiful hand made christmas decorations, and they always cleared up after themselves.

Stacey xx

T'other side from me then - phew :D

stacey and jordan Sep 10th 2006 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Clippies
T'other side from me then - phew :D

Hopefully we will be on the other side soon :D Come on Visa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stacey xx

Vash the Stampede Sep 10th 2006 9:12 pm

Stacey xx

No.

Grayling Sep 10th 2006 9:32 pm

Stacey xx

Yes Australia does have gypsies.

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/200...s/gypsys_house

Last year there was a fatal stabbing on a gypsy site in NSW.

G

matt-and-jenny Sep 10th 2006 9:34 pm

Friend of ours who's a farmer had some travelling folk on his land. He asked them to move on after a couple of weeks, they refused. Asked again, refused. So he proceeded to dump cow manure around the circumference of the camp, bar a couple of metres. He then told them that tomorrow he will fill in the final gap with cow shit. Lo and behold they left that night. :)

Clippy Sep 10th 2006 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
Friend of ours who's a farmer had some travelling folk on his land. He asked them to move on after a couple of weeks, they refused. Asked again, refused. So he proceeded to dump cow manure around the circumference of the camp, bar a couple of metres. He then told them that tomorrow he will fill in the final gap with cow shit. Lo and behold they left that night. :)

Lol :D