Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Guys - Do you give your Train seat to women who are standing up?

Guys - Do you give your Train seat to women who are standing up?

Old May 28th 2007, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold
Default Guys - Do you give your Train seat to women who are standing up?

Just had to share this....

Just started riding the Brisbane train(cleveland line) during 5pm peak time so there arent enough seats...

my first 3 trips, i noticed that NONE of the men would offer their seat to a woman even if she was standing right in front of him, even if she was much older...so i was thinking, chivalry is dead in oz

so yesterday, I was able to get a seat as the train was empty at central station, after a couple of stops and the train was getting full, i offered my seat to a lady (maybe in her 40s) who was standing closest to me.

she had this shocked but very appreciative look on her face....so that was that...

today, i did the same thing again to another lady who was standing, and again, a very shocked but grateful look her on her face....

and get this.......within one minute, THREE OTHER MEN NEAR ME DID THE SAME THING!!

I was pleasantly surprised, the 3rd man to do it, even looked at me and had a small smile on his face, so i smiled back...i even checked to see if these guys just gave up their seats maybe because their train stop was coming up....but no, 10-12 stops later, all 3 men were still standing, and like me, only took a seat when more seats eventually became available....

sorry if this bores anyone reading this......i just couldnt help but post this as soon as i got home......had a really good feeling inside while i was riding the train home.....

chivalry is not dead after all, well, not on the 5:04pm cleveland line.....
Old May 28th 2007, 10:13 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guys - Do you give your Train seat to women who are standing up?

Originally Posted by obiwan

Just started riding the Brisbane train(cleveland line) during 5pm peak time so there arent enough seats...

my first 3 trips, i noticed that NONE of the men would offer their seat to a woman even if she was standing right in front of him, even if she was much older...so i was thinking, chivalry is dead in oz

so yesterday, I was able to get a seat as the train was empty at central station, after a couple of stops and the train was getting full, i offered my seat to a lady (maybe in her 40s) who was standing closest to me.

she had this shocked but very appreciative look on her face....so that was that...

today, i did the same thing again to another lady who was standing, and again, a very shocked but grateful look her on her face....

and get this.......within one minute, THREE OTHER MEN NEAR ME DID THE SAME THING!!

I was pleasantly surprised, the 3rd man to do it, even looked at me and had a small smile on his face, so i smiled back...i even checked to see if these guys just gave up their seats maybe because their train stop was coming up....but no, 10-12 stops later, all 3 men were still standing, and like me, only took a seat when more seats eventually became available....

sorry if this bores anyone reading this......i just couldnt help but post this as soon as i got home......had a really good feeling inside while i was riding the train home.....

Good on you.
You know, its so common for this NOT to happen these days, that when it does - it really is a true shock to the system. Be the change you want to see in the world! Shame I'm moving to Melbourne ; )
Old May 28th 2007, 10:22 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by obiwan

Good for you making the first move. For too much of the time we all become self absorbed in our own worlds - not meaning too ignore civilities and pleasant reminders like your action help keep us in check.
Old May 28th 2007, 10:58 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I'd give my seat up for a wrinkly or a pregant woman but not just any woman. You can't have equality of the sexes whenever it suits.
Old May 28th 2007, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
I'd give my seat up for a wrinkly or a pregant woman but not just any woman. You can't have equality of the sexes whenever it suits.
I'd hate to say it, but indeed. I'd take a few things into consideration: I probably won't give up my seat as I have a daily 2hr commute, and the lady in question might be going a few stops.

I did once give up my seat as I was wearing a fire brigade t-shirt and didn't want the organisation to be seen to be lacking in community sense(!)

Now if I saw anyone suffering, I'd give up my seat immediately.

We had a young women collapse in the aisle in the summer and I had to push my way through to get to her. Amazing how people think you are qualified if you take a leadership position...and how people will not respond.

What was also nice, was that my fellow passengers insisted on me having my vacated seat back.
Old May 28th 2007, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

I always give up my seat to the elderly, pregnant or people carrying babies etc. I wouldn't expect anyone to give their seat to me - but I would be mightly impressed if they did (might have happened more when I was a gorgeous 20 year old )

I also have to admit to being very arsey if no-one offers me a seat when I'm carrying my youngest - I actually ask someone/anyone - usually the embarrassment works. I also had to do this numerous times in the UK when I was commuting on the bus whilst heavily pregnant
Old May 28th 2007, 12:12 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

elderly, pregnant or people carrying babies only... Everyone else has paid the same ticket price and has choosen to ride the same train.
Old May 28th 2007, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd give mine up if she was a looker.
Old May 28th 2007, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I'd give mine up if she was a looker.
Indeed. Have you seen the Melbourne Pakenham line?

I've also falsely acused women of being pregnant so prefer to err on the side of caution.

As my wife said a few years ago, ""just because I am, doesn't mean we all are".

I walked into a room full of large ladies and agreeably said "I've never seen so many pregnant women in all my life".

"But we're not came the reply".
Old May 28th 2007, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Indeed. Have you seen the Melbourne Pakenham line?

I've also falsely acused women of being pregnant so prefer to err on the side of caution.

As my wife said a few years ago, ""just because I am, doesn't mean we all are".

I walked into a room full of large ladies and agreeably said "I've never seen so many pregnant women in all my life".

"But we're not came the reply".
You're on form tonight!!

My daughter aged 4 once prodded the underside of a very large work colleague (who was actually a nasty bugger so I'm justified in calling her a lard arse) who we'd bumped into in a restaurant and said loudly "There's a baby in there".

What could we say or do?
Old May 28th 2007, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Melchels is on a distinguished road

I must admit that I usually stand unless the train is fairly empty, I think that I don't really need a seat, since it is only a 30 min journey, my pregnant wife, was never given a seat by a man, always another woman. The men just looked into their papers or pretended to be asleep even though we had all seen them have a quick look and then hope that they wern't seen.
Old May 28th 2007, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
You're on form tonight!!

My daughter aged 4 once prodded the underside of a very large work colleague (who was actually a nasty bugger so I'm justified in calling her a lard arse) who we'd bumped into in a restaurant and said loudly "There's a baby in there".

What could we say or do?
Surely write into those funny women's magazines with the title
"Little Miss So and so".
Old May 28th 2007, 1:07 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I did once give up my seat as I was wearing a fire brigade t-shirt and didn't want the organisation to be seen to be lacking in community sense(!)
that's why I always commute in my ***** YOU! t-shirt
Old May 28th 2007, 1:12 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

And to give a serious answer ...

I never take the train, but if I did, I would give up my seat for a pregnant woman, an elderly woman, an elderly man, someone with small children, any other woman - roughly in that order of merit.

I know it is not sex equality, but that was how I was brought up. I hold doors open for women too and always let them in or out of the lift first - that usually gets the surprised looks, too.

If I am travelling anywhere with the little DagBoys, they give up their seats for people too (whether they want to or not).

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old May 28th 2007, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Melchels
... 30 min journey, my pregnant wife, was never given a seat by a man, always another woman ...
Is that you, JTL?! This described exactly my train journeys to the city when I was up the duff. I was rarely offered a seat, but if I was it was always by another woman. I had to "ask" a couple of people to give up their seats on some bad days when my legs just got too weak.

I give up my seat to anyone who I think needs it more than I do whether it's a man, a woman, or a young child. When I was only 3 or 4 month pregnant I even attempted to offer my seat to another more heavily pregnant lady, but embarrassment triggered another fellow passenger to give up his seat instead.

Mrs JTL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.