Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IT guy wanting to go down under

IT guy wanting to go down under

Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:19 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of
Default Re: IT guy wanting to go down under

Originally Posted by dave99
there are plenty of contract positions you can get for 3-4 months in IT so work wont be much of a problem while your deciding on australia. I came over on a whv and eventually got a permanent visa then citizenship so it can be done. Dont listen to the other posts saying you carnt, I did it.
Who said "carnt" ?

If you are saying it's easily done then that's good to hear.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:36 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Syedney
Just to qualify that: very very low!

I think starting salary for a .net developer should be around $60k, me thinks...More senior, more in the range mentioned here.

$25k? This must be reflected on pricing of things (living costs)?
PayScale (National) salary report:

I'd expect SA to be less than the average.

Hays 2010 salary report:

The above would make me think I have a chance on earning more (it doesn't include junior salaries). My current IT Project Manager is only earning $70k.

Last edited by coolshadows; Jun 27th 2010 at 10:50 am.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:04 am
Pie Eater

Originally Posted by zRichi
Hi!

I originally wanted to go canada but as bunac have no visas left I'm looking at different options. Australia being one!

I work in IT as an Infrastructure Analyst/Engineer and just wondering what the IT sector will be like for me. Is it reasonable to assume I can make £25k down under on a working holiday Visa? Any other info would be grand!

Anyway my plans are to go Oz in august, apply for a canadian visa in dec and go toronto next August - but you never know I may love Oz!

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards
Richi
zRichi - not sure if any of the following cover your area of expertise:

Old Jun 27th 2010, 8:35 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

My current IT Project Manager is only earning $70k.
Awk ! Who is this scroogey gang you work for ? I reckon he should move too !
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolshadows

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/7...laryguide2.jpg

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/856/salaryguide3.jpg
At least for Sydney the above look a little low, are you sure thats doesn't include Junior positions?
Old Jun 28th 2010, 10:14 pm

zRichi is an unknown quantity at this point

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/7...laryguide2.jpg

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/856/salaryguide3.jpg
Hey thanks for this

I think I'm 2nd line so yay
Old Jul 7th 2010, 1:16 am
Just Joined

ldh1135 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, I am looking for IT infrastructure and server admin. I have MCSE, MCITP:EA and an HND. 7 years experience. Could you advice me where to look for jobs in Brisbane and what sort of salary to expect. Cheers
Old Jul 7th 2010, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldh1135
Hi there, I am looking for IT infrastructure and server admin. I have MCSE, MCITP:EA and an HND. 7 years experience. Could you advice me where to look for jobs in Brisbane and what sort of salary to expect. Cheers
seek.com.au
Old Jul 7th 2010, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

I have to add that I work 40 hours a week as a senior .Net Analyst Programmer / Developer (with 10 years experience working in some blue chip companies) and I earn around $60,000 (about the equivalent of £25,000 ).
If you are a senior .Net AP/Developer with 10 years exp., earning $60K then you are seriously under paid. You should be earning closer to c$80K - $90K, possibly more.

Rule of thumb is that Adelaide earns on average about 5K less than Melbourne and Melbourne earns about 5K less than Sydney. Although this is changing as location is less of an issue with telecommuting etc.

I was placing .Net developers with 10 years exp. in 2002 on $65K! This was when the Australian IT market was completely shot due to the dot com crash and there was 12% unemployment in the IT market. The market today is completely different even taking into account the GFC.

Last edited by Deancm_MKII; Jul 7th 2010 at 3:13 am.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
If you are a senior .Net AP/Developer with 10 years exp., earning $60K then you are seriously under paid. You should be earning closer to c$80K - $90K, possibly more.

Rule of thumb is that Adeliade earns on average about 5K less than Melbourne and Melbourne earns about 5K less than Sydney. Although this is changing as location is less of an issue with telecommuting etc.

I was placing .Net developers with 10 years exp. in 2002 on $65K!

That's my IMO too and I am a .net developer...

But my expertise is not in the regional differences of salary structure so can only apply my theory to Sydney.

Anyway, in IT, salary is often negotiable and up to the individual to extract as much as possible.

Maybe the OP is just happy with the overall package,rather than looking at a specific amount figure?

But I do agree that .net developers with 10 exp should be on around $75k and above!
Old Jul 7th 2010, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

That's my IMO too and I am a .net developer...

But my expertise is not in the regional differences of salary structure so can only apply my theory to Sydney.

Anyway, in IT, salary is often negotiable and up to the individual to extract as much as possible.

Maybe the OP is just happy with the overall package,rather than looking at a specific amount figure?

But I do agree that .net developers with 10 exp should be on around $75k and above!
In the coming months there's going to be a big transition within the IT market as a lot of people are going to be looking for new jobs, with better pay. Current estimates are a third of the IT workforce will be looking for greener pastures.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 3:22 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I was placing .Net developers with 10 years exp. in 2002 on $65K!
.Net 1.0 was released in 2002...they couldn't have had much relevant experience!
Old Jul 7th 2010, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bcworld
.Net 1.0 was released in 2002...they couldn't have had much relevant experience!
No, not 10 years .Net but 10 years exp as an A/P/software engineering. There were a lot of Visual Basic and C, C++ and Java guys that moved into .Net and had lots of transferable experience.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Remember going to Stockport, to do some work (+ training with MIcrosoft) at EDS, on C# around Feb/March 2002, when .net just came out!!

In the coming months there's going to be a big transition within the IT market as a lot of people are going to be looking for new jobs, with better pay. Current estimates are a third of the IT workforce will be looking for greener pastures.

What do you mean by this Dean?

Btw, I am looking for a .net dev position right now...On 457
Old Jul 7th 2010, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Not direct .Net experience no. However I did place a couple of guys that woked for Microsoft Redmond and were integral in the development of .Net.

Remember going to Stockport, to do some work (+ training with MIcrosoft) at EDS, on C# around Feb/March 2002, when .net just came out!!
And C# is very similar to Java and both share their roots with C/C++... As I mentioned in my previous post, transferable skills.

What do you mean by this Dean?
Because of the global financial crisis, many employees have either had their pay cut/frozen, reduced hours and no annual pay increases and now that things are better, employers are taking their time to review salaries, give rises where they are due and improve working conditions. Consequently a lot of employees are pissed off and will be looking for new jobs in order to get a salary increase/better conditions. The general mood when speaking to people is that in the coming months there will be a lot of people looking to move on.

This article sums it up nicely:

http://www.theage.com.au/business/wo...0704-zvto.html

Btw, I am looking for a .net dev position right now...On 457
Good luck! I would help however I don't place .Net guys anymore. 457? Ouch!

Last edited by Deancm_MKII; Jul 7th 2010 at 5:11 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.