Gutted

Old Dec 12th 2006, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gutted

After being offered a job by the first company I contacted, who phoned immigration to ask if the job would come under their catagories before interviewing me. They said yes.
After telling me the job was mine, getting my references etc, they have now told them twice that the job does not fit under the life sciences technical officer cattagory (I can't see why not).

So, nothing which can be done there.

Am I correct in thinking that if you get a job in SA and the other places they need people, that you can be sponsored for any job as long as they can show they can't find anyone with those skills in Oz?

Anyway, we really are not too happy, although I only really see it as a tempory set back.

How about NZ? Is it easier to get in there?

(sigh)
Old Dec 12th 2006, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gutted

hi

what a bummer..but chin up..youll find a way. Not sure about the technical side of the visa..well truth be told, not sure about any visa..just wanted to wish you luck..

regards

lolly
Old Dec 12th 2006, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom

(sigh)
If you first choice is Oz then stick with that.

We had a set back with an employer and the day latter were offered a position in NZ, we took it.
The problem is NZ is very,very different and we compared everything to Oz which was wrong.
We thought we'd wait the 3 years and go the Citizenship route (which is now 5 years) but I was offered a job in Brisbane a few months ago.

Stick with Oz.

Ian
Old Dec 12th 2006, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
If you first choice is Oz then stick with that.

We had a set back with an employer and the day latter were offered a position in NZ, we took it.
The problem is NZ is very,very different and we compared everything to Oz which was wrong.
We thought we'd wait the 3 years and go the Citizenship route (which is now 5 years) but I was offered a job in Brisbane a few months ago.

Stick with Oz.

Ian
Thanks very much. I probably needed to hear that. We haven't ever been to NZ, so I'm sure it could end up being a nasty shock.

I have e-mailed ther person who runs the unit I applied for to ask him if he could give me contact detail of anyone in the 'rural' areas listed for RSMS. Also, that if he knows of anyone in the Sydney area with a job coming up, who may be interested in me (seems they really are short of my job) then to let them know that they could advertise the job slightly differently.
It is so stupid. I don't see how they can't accept the job the way it was advertised. Unfortunetly the job I was after needs someone soon, so they don't have time to readvertise it in time.

Does anyone know much about the RSMS visa? Could anyone tell me exactly what dipolma level is in Australia? It also say: A Trade Certificate with full apprenticeship is accepted as equivalent to or higher than a diploma qualification.
I have taken qualifications at the the same time as working, would they count this as an apprenticeship? I could not get premoted until I had done this. In fact where I work now the new people are all trainees for 3 years. I'm sure I could get past employers to call it that if that is what immigration would want.

Thanks for any advice at all. I really want to get into Oz. I am pacient and still young, but would like to know it could happen.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

After being offered a job by the first company I contacted, who phoned immigration to ask if the job would come under their catagories before interviewing me. They said yes.
After telling me the job was mine, getting my references etc, they have now told them twice that the job does not fit under the life sciences technical officer cattagory (I can't see why not).

So, nothing which can be done there.

Am I correct in thinking that if you get a job in SA and the other places they need people, that you can be sponsored for any job as long as they can show they can't find anyone with those skills in Oz?

Anyway, we really are not too happy, although I only really see it as a tempory set back.

(sigh)

Hi,
Crap thing to happen, build up your hopes and then have them take it away, maybe you could get the employer to write in some obscure skill on the job description which you then put into your CV? I am sure in Life sciences you must be able to find some really obscure technique or skill to fit the bill, then there will be some justification in saying that there are no Aussies to fill the role... A friend of mine went through this process for a bioinformatics position, took a while butshe succeed in the end..

Good luck
Old Dec 13th 2006, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chrispy
Hi,
Crap thing to happen, build up your hopes and then have them take it away, maybe you could get the employer to write in some obscure skill on the job description which you then put into your CV? I am sure in Life sciences you must be able to find some really obscure technique or skill to fit the bill, then there will be some justification in saying that there are no Aussies to fill the role... A friend of mine went through this process for a bioinformatics position, took a while butshe succeed in the end..

Good luck
Thanks very much. Unfortunetly it wasn't showing that an ozzy couldn't be found that was the problem, it was that they said my job is not a 'life sciences techical officer'. As the job was in Sydney it would have to be on the skills list.
I'm not sure why they told them it did count as that when they first asked and then decided but then changed their mind. It must have been very close as the employer said that it another job came up they would only have to change the job description a little to fit, but it was too late for this one, as that was what it was advertised at (and they need someone soon as it is maternity cover).
Funny thing is I am a technican in the faculty of life sciences where I am now. Can't get much more life sciences technical officer.

I am much more possotive today anyway. They asked me to apply or that job after me asking some advice about whether my qualifications were accepted in Oz. It can't be hard to find someone else to sponsor me in 'rural' Australia, if the job comes up, there arn't as many of them in oz as in the UK. Or I can wait for the Sydney place to expand, which they are doing soon, so in a year or two will have more jobs, so they could advertise in a 'life sciences technical officer' way.
I wasn't in a rush, this way I can save much more money to take with me, and take my time getting married, I had planned to do it in the next month or two before we went.

Oh well, I have until I'm 45, and I'm only 27 now

Thanks again for cheering me up.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much. Unfortunetly it wasn't showing that an ozzy couldn't be found that was the problem, it was that they said my job is not a 'life sciences techical officer'. As the job was in Sydney it would have to be on the skills list.
I'm not sure why they told them it did count as that when they first asked and then decided but then changed their mind. It must have been very close as the employer said that it another job came up they would only have to change the job description a little to fit, but it was too late for this one, as that was what it was advertised at (and they need someone soon as it is maternity cover).
Funny thing is I am a technican in the faculty of life sciences where I am now. Can't get much more life sciences technical officer.

I am much more possotive today anyway. They asked me to apply or that job after me asking some advice about whether my qualifications were accepted in Oz. It can't be hard to find someone else to sponsor me in 'rural' Australia, if the job comes up, there arn't as many of them in oz as in the UK. Or I can wait for the Sydney place to expand, which they are doing soon, so in a year or two will have more jobs, so they could advertise in a 'life sciences technical officer' way.
I wasn't in a rush, this way I can save much more money to take with me, and take my time getting married, I had planned to do it in the next month or two before we went.

Sounds as if all hope is not lost - good luck with it all,
Old Dec 13th 2006, 7:30 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

how important is it that they find somebody for the position ?

Is it maybe worth asking your "future" employer to contact a migration agent, and let them look into things ?

I have been offered a position in Melbourne (which obviously is not quite the same as Sydney) but a 457 sponsored is a priority visa, and if it can be proved that they require you asap, they will work with the employers to get the staff in the country as quick as poss. It might be worth posting on the immigration forum, and ask for a bit of advice from some of the experts down there.

good luck. If you really persevere, it will come off in the end (I know !!! ) why not look at a 136 PR visa ? This gives more security straight away, and you have already mentioned that you have the time.

good luck anyway with everything.

Paul
Old Dec 14th 2006, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by furkew
how important is it that they find somebody for the position ?

Is it maybe worth asking your "future" employer to contact a migration agent, and let them look into things ?

I have been offered a position in Melbourne (which obviously is not quite the same as Sydney) but a 457 sponsored is a priority visa, and if it can be proved that they require you asap, they will work with the employers to get the staff in the country as quick as poss. It might be worth posting on the immigration forum, and ask for a bit of advice from some of the experts down there.

good luck. If you really persevere, it will come off in the end (I know !!! ) why not look at a 136 PR visa ? This gives more security straight away, and you have already mentioned that you have the time.

good luck anyway with everything.

Paul
Thanks. Unfortunetly my job is one of the ones which can be sponsored, but not applied for in your own right.
The job was maternity cover, so they need someone pretty quick. Immigration told them that they have to look at the advert they used when looking for staff, and that according to that the job doesn't fit the catagory so I can't see there would be much an immigration agent could do, but thanks anyway.
'Rural' Australia would be much better for me anyway if a job came up as then I could be sponsored for PR which like you say would be much better.
Thanks again