'Gutted'

Old Sep 10th 2005, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

themadstans is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 'Gutted'

Recently heard on the news that Australia is desperate for barbers. My husband has had his own barbers business for 10 years in UK, so happily tried to fill one of these on line thingies that assesses whether you will be accepted and guess what - barber is not on the list only hairdressers and Australia doesn't want them! We were 10 points short.

So enjoy yourselves all of you in the sunshine while we shrink in the rain and shrivel in the cold. No gloating please. Have fun you guys.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice
Default Re: 'Gutted'

Originally Posted by themadstans
Recently heard on the news that Australia is desperate for barbers. My husband has had his own barbers business for 10 years in UK, so happily tried to fill one of these on line thingies that assesses whether you will be accepted and guess what - barber is not on the list only hairdressers and Australia doesn't want them! We were 10 points short.

So enjoy yourselves all of you in the sunshine while we shrink in the rain and shrivel in the cold. No gloating please. Have fun you guys.

oh dear really sorry for you is there any way you can get the extra 10 points??

oh and welcome to the forum!!

Chris
Old Sep 10th 2005, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

leedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant future

I would look into going as a hairdresser.

If you have any doubts then contact an agent for advice.

They will either say yes or no.

don't take the online assesment as a final answer.

I'm a 3d artist, but was told by my agent to put graphic designer. Same thing, but different title really.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that guys and thanks for the welcome.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 11:26 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

I heard about someone who was a baker, and got refused when he applied on his own.

He took up with an agent and the agent changed his job description to 'Pastry chef' and he got in. (was a couple of years ago this, so baker probably is on now, but it's the idea of changing job titles I'm trying to get over)

Don't lose faith...when I first tried one of those online points assessments I got told that I didn't qualifiy....and I'm a nurse!!
Old Sep 10th 2005, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
I heard about someone who was a baker, and got refused when he applied on his own.

He took up with an agent and the agent changed his job description to 'Pastry chef' and he got in. (was a couple of years ago this, so baker probably is on now, but it's the idea of changing job titles I'm trying to get over)

Don't lose faith...when I first tried one of those online points assessments I got told that I didn't qualifiy....and I'm a nurse!!
LOL. How bizarre. Good thinking though.

I am a medical secretary. I work in A & E and although on my own I score 60 points on the skills scale (same as hubby) I only get 5 if we apply as a couple. Is this right?

How long have you been a nurse?
Old Sep 11th 2005, 12:09 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a medical secretary. I work in A & E and although on my own I score 60 points on the skills scale (same as hubby) I only get 5 if we apply as a couple. Is this right?

why dont u apply on your skills then?
Old Sep 11th 2005, 12:26 am
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

You should put forward the person with the highest amount of points as the main applicant (if they have enough points on their own) and don't take the other person into account, as it will cause a lot more work, as you would need all the required documents for them too.

I have been qualified 5yrs next week
Old Sep 11th 2005, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

funkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant future

So sorry to hear this, its so frustating. We want to wish you all the best in whatever you decide to do from here.xx
Old Sep 11th 2005, 2:28 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

For you to get 5 points as a spouse/partner whatever based on skills you have to go through the whole process of skills assesment etc. So both of you have to fill in a stack of documents, collect references, etc etc etc. If one of you gets enough points to emigrate without the other because of being on MODL or something then submit that one and ignore the other persons skills - its much easier. We put the 100k$ in to get the 5 points rather than submit a second set of skills it was just too much hassle and would have taken so much longer. At the end of the process you both get exactly the same visa - just one of you has to cross the line 1st in the airport.

This is all based on assumption that you are talking about 136 skilled visa for married couple
Old Sep 11th 2005, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

get advice form an agent, you may be able to get those extra points, and there are so many types of visas, and do you know if you go regional it is 10 less points than metro, look into it, im sure there will be something you can do . Denise
Old Sep 11th 2005, 7:00 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I would reiterate other peoples sentiments there. If you score 60 points on your application and have enough points in your own right then YOU apply for the visa with your husband as your spouse. His skills are largely then irrelevant and you both get a visa
Old Sep 11th 2005, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

The Thorpes is on a distinguished road

Worst case you might even qualify for a business skills visa if your husband has been running his own business and can meet certain turnover requirements etc. Might be worth a look anyway if you can't get in on any other visa.
Best wishes with whatever you decide to do.

Sam
Old Sep 11th 2005, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Atticus will become famous soon enough

Hi just so you know we came on my husbands skills he is/was self employed barber for more than 10 years we just put him down as a hairdresser and got the visa within 3 months! So it can be done.

If you do a search on this forum and the migration forum for "hairdressers" and "tra" you should come up with heaps of stuff to help you.

all the best

atticus
Old Sep 11th 2005, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Thank you all for your advice. Good to know that Atticus's husband has same trade and got a visa. Will look in to all the options.

Thanks you guys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.