Reload this Page >

guns in australia?

guns in australia?

Old Dec 30th 2004, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

atlantatoaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default guns in australia?

Hi

My spouse and I live in the US on h1b visas(work visas) and we plan to migrate to australia some time next yr.One of my biggest issues with the US is that most americans carry guns(some say one in two) it really freaks me out .Some time last week the convenience store that we used to frequent had a shooting incident and the cashier was shot I am still pretty scared and very saddenned

from what I have read The gun laws in australia are much stricter
any inputs would be appreciated
regards
priya
Old Dec 30th 2004, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: guns in australia?

Originally Posted by atlantatoaus
Hi

My spouse and I live in the US on h1b visas(work visas) and we plan to migrate to australia some time next yr.One of my biggest issues with the US is that most americans carry guns(some say one in two) it really freaks me out .Some time last week the convenience store that we used to frequent had a shooting incident and the cashier was shot I am still pretty scared and very saddenned

regards
priya
My brother lives in Queensland and is a bit of a gun freak. Long arms (rifles, shotguns) are apparently fairly easy to acquire, but handguns are much more difficult. This may vary from state to state. I'd guess one of your worries may be about concealed weapons, which will be much less common, at least in Queensland.
Old Dec 30th 2004, 3:39 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

I too, am totally against gun ownership and from what I remember (I dont know the exact details as I have no clue about different types of guns), after the Port Arthur massacre a few years back, semi-automatic guns and firearms that carry multiple rounds were definatly banned.

As far as I know, you definatly cant own a hand gun and I think its pretty much just double barrelled rifles now...

They had a huge gun amnesty here after Port Arthur and a lot of farmers were up in arms over having to surrender their firearms....

I am sure if you do a search for anything to do with Port Arthur, you might find a trail to stories about the gun laws here...

Good luck

Hels
Old Dec 30th 2004, 4:16 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Just found this after doing a bit of a search...

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...5E1702,00.html
Old Dec 30th 2004, 7:14 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels
Just found this after doing a bit of a search...

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...5E1702,00.html
Someone should show Charlton Heston and his idiots from the NRA this research. No place in everyday society for any guns.

Paul.
Old Dec 30th 2004, 8:04 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by atlantatoaus
Hi

regards
priya
Thankfully we are not as paranoid and scared as some in the US so having a hand gun under the pillow at night is not allowed. Weapons must be securely stored. There are of course illegal weapons and idiots out there . Somehow most countries only have a fraction of the number of gun related deaths that the US has.