Reload this Page >

GunnerCaz - My first Adelaide update

GunnerCaz - My first Adelaide update

Old May 23rd 2005, 1:09 pm
I never gave up trying

gunnercaz is on a distinguished road
Question GunnerCaz - My first Adelaide update

Hi All,
Just thought i'd update on my arrival and wot I've been upto since my arrival to Oz.

Arrived 28th Feb 2005 after leaving snowy britain and arriving in the sunshine of Adeaide...wot a great start!

Staying with Aunt and Uncle at Semaphore. They treat me well and look after my every need. Dinner set most out most days and they give most lots of advice and care.

I got on the band wagon quick and began the process of falling into the Oz way of life. I got my Australian Tax File number, medicare and signed up with many agencies within the first 2 weeks of arriving.

Although Ive signed up with IT Agencies, I got some luck with an office admin agency called Select Appointments(based in the City) and I've been working at a large Credit Union Company on their IT Helpdesk since St Patricks day!17th March).

Enjoying the job and although not very well paid, it keeps me busy and I meets and talk to lots of people. Job is only temp and contract due to finish on 3rd June...but fingers crossed they make me permanent!

Got myself a 2.0 16V BRG Daewoo CDX. CD player, air cond, elec windows and not a spot of rust. Alright for $7000. 1 lady owner fron new...nows there's 2! Nice little car. I did not got mad as I want to keep money for a house and I guest if I was going to have an accident my chances were increased in my first year driving here. Had a couple of little problems with it though and the car place fixed it, but fingers crossed it behaves itself now.

Only passed my theory test last weekend and I felt so good walking up North Terrace from the SA Transport Office, as I were dreading it if I failed....only cause I had gone over my lunch hour quota and the only way I felt to pacify my work collegues was to buy donughts from DK to celebrate. I walked in 2 hours late in total....thank god DK kept the lot of em sweet!

Been out with my cousins and on one visit to Henley beach we had a few jars at Henley beach life guard bar. It was a great view of the beach and the beers were cheap and very cold. Upon my return to Aunt&Uncles house I decided not to waste the rest of the day and go for a bike ride up the Port Adelaide river and spotted my first dolphins. I guest I could have been done by the local police for being intoxicated and in charge of a push bike, but I kept off the road and on the dirt track near the river and I reckon them dolphins were having a good laugh at me! There wer 2 of them popping their heads in and out of the water. Wot a beautiful sight!

Took some of my little cousins to Cleland Conservation Park and also to Adelaide Zoo. Did the usual and fed the Kangaroos and had a picture with a Koala....how sweet! My only advice to others is to bring a bottle of water and feed it to the animals....I reckon them Kangaroos get bored with the set food you buy and some fresh water always gets them to stay with ya and get a picture moment with the kids! The kids loved it! It was like feeding a lamb with a milk bottle...but aussie style as it was with a kangaroo instead!

Joined up and playing for a footy team(soccer) called Fulham Ladies. They are a premership team and there are lots of young kids, but a couple of older ones too. Mixed feelings at the moment, as Im only playing for the Reserves and want to be playing in the first team, but there are lots of good players there and I guess as shall have to keep trying to impress.

One of the girls at footy is taking us to a singles party, so I'm hoping to meet more people there. Some of my cousins are gay and the other is married with 5 kids and not interested in going out, so finding it difficult to meet new people.

Even though there are nice people at work, I keep my head down and get on with it. My family are all great people too, but need to go out and meet some new folk...perhaps Adelaide brits has the answer?

TV is ok, but too much american stuff! I enjoy Pizza though on SBS at 7:30pm every Monday night! Very funny to watch!

The beaches are great, the transport into the city and and around is great. They seem to have sorted the transport system well here. My first ride on a autoBahn was funny...buses roller down their own roads, coasting down set concrete tracks...wot a sight it was!

The wildlife is beautiful...so many wild birds flying around of all shapes and colours! The environment is clean and tidy..alot tider than britain I may say.

The beaches are lovely and clean. I had a roast dinner last Sunday and went for a walk down on the beach afterwards with a friend for an hour at 7:30pm at night. There was a full moon and the water was so calm and warm to dip you feet in whilst walking. So relaxing!

Work is difficult to find for me personally, but only cause my computer programming language is now almost obsolete, so having landed a job on an I.T. helpdesk is great! Gets me back into the PC environment...as my dad says you make your own luck!

People are friendly, although many are quiet on the trains on the way into work. My dad reckons it cause they are all city people and most city people want to get to work and back home again. But in general most people seem to be alot more relaxed, very chatty, witty (if they know you well) and are very friendly!

I think Adelaide is a great place to start your life if you are looking at starting a new life in Oz, as it seems to be a relaxed place to live in general, but that is only my general opinion...I have alot more of Australia to catch up with yet and to see!

Take care all

I'm finding it abit lonely at the mo, but only because I am a quiet reserved person(my friends may disagree with this statement).

My overall
Old May 23rd 2005, 2:34 pm
Shaz

Shazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant future
Default Re: GunnerCaz - My first Adelaide update

Thanks for the fab write up, we are hoping to move to Adelaide this summer & are now waiting for the visas to come.

Just out of curiosity are you a member on Ad/Brits ?
Old May 24th 2005, 3:45 am
I never gave up trying

gunnercaz is on a distinguished road

No not a member on Adeliade Brits........yet!
Old May 24th 2005, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you have settled in well. We are in Brisbane but originally had planned to go to Adelaide ( long story!!!!!). I would love to go and visit some day. In fact I thought about going for a long weekend sometime. I only hope I don't end up wanting to move to Adelaide!!!!
Old May 24th 2005, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Thanks for the brilliant post, I am sure you will soon meet loads of new friends you are doing all the right things. My daughter has read your post , she is 14, and your descriptions have delighted her, she was excited about going to Adelaide before this but now she really can't wait. Ever thought of working for the Adelaide tourist board!!!!
keep us posted and hopefully we will bump into each other when we get there...........Sept 2005
Have sent you great post karma