Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A guide to getting your trade license

A guide to getting your trade license

Old Nov 30th 2007, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute
Default A guide to getting your trade license

This is specific for carpenters in the gold coast through Brisbane as far as the sunshine coast
but with changing the actual names could be relevent for any where and any trade
Theres plenty of myth and scaremongery around the license
You dont need this license to work but will be easer to find and better paid if you have one, most of the volume house builders will ask for license and insurance to 10 million to do any new build work for them.

The license for us poms without australian qualifications comes with 4 parts

1.. register with CTQ these people dont do much, there govement people and will look at your application and decide if you meet the critera ,you almost certainly will and will be put on to an assesment officer from another organisation
The CTQ will charge you your first fee 150 dollars
You can call the CTQ on 0732747999 you will probably deal with Gwen Mclean
she`s busy, sometimes can lose documents be sure to have copies and send stuff recorded

2.. Gwen after 6 weeks`ish will put you on to an assesment officer
mine was Careers australia these ,were good
your contact here is Mark on 0417667438 this is his private mobile he has said I can give to my friends and workmates so (you lot come under this)
Mention you got the number off me Rod Reed from north lakes and he said if enough people call him he would send me a case of beer
Mark will come on site and look at your work ask a few questions get some feedback off your superviser he asked me about marking out cut roofs and some staircase stuff a good chipie should know this stuff if not swot up a bit
he will also leave you an exam to do, he likes it if you can take it away and return it in the post the next day all pretty easy stuff if you got internet for some of the stuff you forgot all the better
this is the second fee 300 dollars after 10 days you get a certificate saying you are level 3 Australian
Now heres a trick I wished I know then if you ring mark first you can run Gwen and Mark together thus saving loads of time Mark will deal with the CTQ

3.. Take the buisness managment for trade contractors course there is no way out of this you must take the course it covers estimating, bookkeeping,bit of law and general buisness skills, half of it usefull half boring crap you will never need
this is a 3 day course run by a few companies in the area I choose the HIA
if you become a member its fee IS 280 dollars as opposed to 310
The HIA have other benifits of being a member one of which the will review you application for the license and submitt it for you the QBSA have a desk for sole us of HIA applicants and cut the time of procesing from 12 weeks to 2
your contact for the HIA is Brad Halliday 0420 150 270 spoke with him today got the ok to give his number he will advise you of the next course and how to become a member

4.. the license application, if you a HIA member they will guide you through
if not you will need to supply information overload a bit like TRA but they are interested in stuff you have been doing in the last 3 years the TRA were interested in your training years
The sheet the give you to fill in is far to small and its normal to add sheets to it although they dont tell you this
you will also need some of the stuff you had for you visa application like passports refrences and stuff all newly certifide by a jp the HIA have an in house JP ,Sounds like I deserve a case off Brad too
fee 4 ,,,,459 dollars and hey presto you QBSA license and number soon after

by the way all the "I used to run my own buisness" and your city and guilds wont really count for much here, and all of the above wont really be very interested there is a pathway to follow and everybody follows it

Regards Rod Reed
Old Nov 30th 2007, 5:44 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A guide to getting your trade license

That is absolutely fan bloody tastic!

What brilliant information, just what we need. Really appreciate you putting that on here thanks very much!

Husband's a chippy, we're out on New Year's Day - that info will be really valuable
Old Nov 30th 2007, 7:44 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Great stuff. Thanks for that Rod.

Joex
Old Nov 30th 2007, 8:24 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Top Post, just what this forum was intended for !
Old Nov 30th 2007, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rodandhayley
This is specific for carpenters in the gold coast through Brisbane as far as the sunshine coast
but with changing the actual names could be relevent for any where and any trade
Theres plenty of myth and scaremongery around the license
You dont need this license to work but will be easer to find and better paid if you have one, most of the volume house builders will ask for license and insurance to 10 million to do any new build work for them.

The license for us poms without australian qualifications comes with 4 parts

1.. register with CTQ these people dont do much, there govement people and will look at your application and decide if you meet the critera ,you almost certainly will and will be put on to an assesment officer from another organisation
The CTQ will charge you your first fee 150 dollars
You can call the CTQ on 0732747999 you will probably deal with Gwen Mclean
she`s busy, sometimes can lose documents be sure to have copies and send stuff recorded

2.. Gwen after 6 weeks`ish will put you on to an assesment officer
mine was Careers australia these ,were good
your contact here is Mark on 0417667438 this is his private mobile he has said I can give to my friends and workmates so (you lot come under this)
Mention you got the number off me Rod Reed from north lakes and he said if enough people call him he would send me a case of beer
Mark will come on site and look at your work ask a few questions get some feedback off your superviser he asked me about marking out cut roofs and some staircase stuff a good chipie should know this stuff if not swot up a bit
he will also leave you an exam to do, he likes it if you can take it away and return it in the post the next day all pretty easy stuff if you got internet for some of the stuff you forgot all the better
this is the second fee 300 dollars after 10 days you get a certificate saying you are level 3 Australian
Now heres a trick I wished I know then if you ring mark first you can run Gwen and Mark together thus saving loads of time Mark will deal with the CTQ

3.. Take the buisness managment for trade contractors course there is no way out of this you must take the course it covers estimating, bookkeeping,bit of law and general buisness skills, half of it usefull half boring crap you will never need
this is a 3 day course run by a few companies in the area I choose the HIA
if you become a member its fee IS 280 dollars as opposed to 310
The HIA have other benifits of being a member one of which the will review you application for the license and submitt it for you the QBSA have a desk for sole us of HIA applicants and cut the time of procesing from 12 weeks to 2
your contact for the HIA is Brad Halliday 0420 150 270 spoke with him today got the ok to give his number he will advise you of the next course and how to become a member

4.. the license application, if you a HIA member they will guide you through
if not you will need to supply information overload a bit like TRA but they are interested in stuff you have been doing in the last 3 years the TRA were interested in your training years
The sheet the give you to fill in is far to small and its normal to add sheets to it although they dont tell you this
you will also need some of the stuff you had for you visa application like passports refrences and stuff all newly certifide by a jp the HIA have an in house JP ,Sounds like I deserve a case off Brad too
fee 4 ,,,,459 dollars and hey presto you QBSA license and number soon after

by the way all the "I used to run my own buisness" and your city and guilds wont really count for much here, and all of the above wont really be very interested there is a pathway to follow and everybody follows it

Regards Rod Reed
Hi Rod

A great post and valuable information for all. Got your pm and will return same.

Look after yourself mate

John
Old Nov 30th 2007, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

helenwilson will become famous soon enough

hi, sorry for jumping in, does anyony know if a carpenter needs to have a license etc to work in Perth? thanks
Old Dec 1st 2007, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helenwilson
hi, sorry for jumping in, does anyony know if a carpenter needs to have a license etc to work in Perth? thanks

Welcome hop on

I dont think you need a license in perth other than if you build houses or do extensions under your own name.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

gotahavit is a name known to allgotahavit is a name known to allgotahavit is a name known to allgotahavit is a name known to allgotahavit is a name known to allgotahavit is a name known to allgotahavit is a name known to allgotahavit is a name known to allgotahavit is a name known to allgotahavit is a name known to allgotahavit is a name known to all

top work mate very informative
Old Dec 1st 2007, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

doughnutz will become famous soon enough

Hiya buddy

Probably one of the most info packed and helpful posts that i've seen so far on this site If only more people in the know would post like that.

All the best Rod