Guide to coming to Aus

Guide to coming to Aus

Old Jun 1st 2003, 10:05 am
Just Joined

skank is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Guide to coming to Aus

this is just amusing, reading through the posts and stuff

ive lived in australia all my life

basically, if you want to move here, for the love of GOD do not move to anywhere but brisbane, sydney or melbourne

every other city on this vast continent is so crap, you'll be wanting to move within a month tops

if you heed my advice, there's no crime, the schools are great, you can get drugs if ya want em but drug related crime is almost non existent, weathers great (you're always within an ~hour drive of the beach)

Aussies love Poms, but only ones that make an effort to fit in, or do happen to fit in.
this is true, to a certain extent. we are not some highly underdeveloped group of humans, you'll probably find that we're pretty much the same as you poms. as long as you dont think or act as if you are somehow 'superior' to us, you'll fit in great, the people are friendly.
Old Jun 1st 2003, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

james & bev is an unknown quantity at this point

Skank, Interesting mail. Might prove controversial though. Whats wrong with perth??

have you spent any time there??

James
Old Jun 1st 2003, 10:18 am
Just Joined

rofl god no

trust me on this one, the general attitude i've found from mates in perth is 'i cant wait to get to the east coast'

a lot of things contribute to this, the fact that perth is so far from anywhere else (bloody high plane ticket prices) means that you can feel pretty isolated

holidays will cost you a lot more, the beaches suck (relative to east coast), finding a job is harder because the city itself is smaller, and large firms tend to centralise in the east coast capital cities, because it's so far away you can often miss out on sporting, music etc. events that are touring..

it's a lot of things man, way to many that i want to list

trust me, move to the east coast, there is no explainable reason why someone would move to perth as opposed to somewhere on the east coast
Old Jun 1st 2003, 11:05 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Nice post Skank made me smile
Old Jun 1st 2003, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

we are not some highly underdeveloped group of humans
Starting to wonder. !!

Skank keep taking the pills.

Last edited by karawara88; Jun 1st 2003 at 1:43 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2003, 7:20 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Skank keep taking the pills.
I like when he says "you can get drugs if ya want em "

and then "but drug related crime is almost non existent, weathers great (you're always within an ~hour drive of the beach)"
Made me think What about SPEEDING
Old Jun 1st 2003, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sindy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi skank,

Looks like you have some interesting opinions.

What's the low down on Adelaide?

Bill
Old Jun 1st 2003, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

adelaide right..

it aint any coincidence that adelaide is the only city that has negative population growth, it's becoming a ghost town, everyone is moving away because the local economy is in the dumps

we lived in adelaide till I was 10, i'm glad we got out before it got to bad

finding a job is ridiculously hard relative to anywhere on the east coast, holidaying within south australia sucks (its bloody cold and the beaches rate as the worst in australia)

sport wise if you're a rugby fan get used to watching it on late night cable tv, because adelaide shuns all forms of rugby (AFL and cricket are the state games)

i would seriously advise you move to brisbane, sydney or melbourne, it's hard to convey how bad it actually is

trust me on this one, if you move to adelaide you will have regrets about not moving to one of the big cities on the east coast

there ARE positives however

if you are past all the nightlife and beaches and stuff, and dont mind working on a reduced salary, bringing up young children is just a dream

the quality of schools, be they private OR public rank the best in australia, easily, in particular their excellent public primary and high school systems

things are a lot quieter, without the hustle and bustle of other cities in australia, and the scenery is beautiful

you'll find that once children hit their mid to late teens they'll find themselves at ends at what to do with their time...adelaide is a pretty boring place

if you have any questions, shoot
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 7:34 am
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by skank

I've heard Brisbane being referred to as "BrisVegas". Why?

I'm in my 30's, done the clubbing scene, living in London am now ready to settle down etc but still want some form of entertainment.....not necessarily pubs/clubs (well, maybe very occassionally )but Comedy Clubs, good restaurants, Museums....will Brisbane be OK for that sort of thing? I don't want to live in the city or the 'burbs....will it be easy-ish to get into town? By car or public transport? (Public Transport? Please tell me there is public transport....!!!)
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 8:22 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Vee
I've heard Brisbane being referred to as "BrisVegas". Why?

I'm in my 30's, done the clubbing scene, living in London am now ready to settle down etc but still want some form of entertainment.....not necessarily pubs/clubs (well, maybe very occassionally )but Comedy Clubs, good restaurants, Museums....will Brisbane be OK for that sort of thing? I don't want to live in the city or the 'burbs....will it be easy-ish to get into town? By car or public transport? (Public Transport? Please tell me there is public transport....!!!)
Vee,

When we visited Aus in April on a whistle stop tour(!) (4/5 nights each in Perth, Adelaide and Brisbane) we felt that Brisbane was the most Americanised of the 3 places. It was the first place we got caught in a traffic jam, the first place we saw graffiti and was very busy. We drove on the main road up to the Sunshine coast and thought it was awful!! Traffic lights after traffic lights, bumper to bumper traffic. We liked the climate and it seemed like it would be the easiest place for me to find work but we didn't really like it.....

Nicola
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 8:28 am
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Nicstids
Vee,

When we visited Aus in April on a whistle stop tour(!) (4/5 nights each in Perth, Adelaide and Brisbane) we felt that Brisbane was the most Americanised of the 3 places. It was the first place we got caught in a traffic jam, the first place we saw graffiti and was very busy. We drove on the main road up to the Sunshine coast and thought it was awful!! Traffic lights after traffic lights, bumper to bumper traffic. We liked the climate and it seemed like it would be the easiest place for me to find work but we didn't really like it.....

Nicola
Mmm...thanks for that. I agree about the Sunshine Coast being awful. I don't really want to live in Brisbane...just have it as my nearest large city but near enough to be commutable for hubby & I (say 1hr drive....not much different I suppose than being on the underground for an hour).

OH well, going to take awhile to look for a nice place to live when/if we get there! Thanks for your insight.

V
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 8:46 am
Just Joined

yeah of course, brisbane is known for its excellent restaurants, good entertainment etc.

the public transport system is excellent, no matter where you live in brisbane you'll be able to commute to and from the city
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 8:52 am
Vee
BE Enthusiast

yeah of course, brisbane is known for its excellent restaurants, good entertainment etc.

the public transport system is excellent, no matter where you live in brisbane you'll be able to commute to and from the city
Yeah but don't want to live in the City of Brisbane....is there trains from outter Brisbane? Not suburbs Brisbane but rural north/south/west of Brisbane?

Good news about entertainment/restaurants.

Do you live in Brisbane? Is it called BrisVegas because it's very much like Nicola said and like the US?
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Sindy is an unknown quantity at this point

adelaide right..

it aint any coincidence that adelaide is the only city that has negative population growth, it's becoming a ghost town, everyone is moving away because the local economy is in the dumps

we lived in adelaide till I was 10, i'm glad we got out before it got to bad

finding a job is ridiculously hard relative to anywhere on the east coast, holidaying within south australia sucks (its bloody cold and the beaches rate as the worst in australia)

sport wise if you're a rugby fan get used to watching it on late night cable tv, because adelaide shuns all forms of rugby (AFL and cricket are the state games)

i would seriously advise you move to brisbane, sydney or melbourne, it's hard to convey how bad it actually is

trust me on this one, if you move to adelaide you will have regrets about not moving to one of the big cities on the east coast

there ARE positives however

if you are past all the nightlife and beaches and stuff, and dont mind working on a reduced salary, bringing up young children is just a dream

the quality of schools, be they private OR public rank the best in australia, easily, in particular their excellent public primary and high school systems

things are a lot quieter, without the hustle and bustle of other cities in australia, and the scenery is beautiful

you'll find that once children hit their mid to late teens they'll find themselves at ends at what to do with their time...adelaide is a pretty boring place

Thanks for the reply skank,

We have three young children and were reassured by your description of the SA education system.

No longer spring chickens so the nightlife thing should not be too much of a problem, until the kids get older.

Shame about the beaches but we live near Southend in Essex and any beach has to be better than this one.

Thanks

Bill
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 10:23 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Like most on this forum, shank is yanking your chain. Adelaide may be relatively poor etc but SA has white sand beaches that make E.Aus beaches look very dirty. Take everything on this forum as a windup or a joke.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.