Reload this Page >

Guidance on Centerlink Payments, Please

Guidance on Centerlink Payments, Please

Old Jan 17th 2014, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

f4fred is on a distinguished road
Default Guidance on Centerlink Payments, Please

Hi BE Mates,

Well, forgive me if posted this to a wrong forum but I had no better choice. I shifted permanently to Melbourne and have obtained a rental flat situated at <snip>. Its an expensive one (at least for me; Au$ 420 per week). I was thinking if I was eligible for any centerlink payment. Any guidance / advice would be appreciated. My brief situation is given below:

1 - I validated my visa in Oct 2012 and moved back in around two weeks.
2 - Currently I have no job as its just few days I moved in permanently.
3 - I have one 4 year kid and we are expecting our next kid in this april.
4 - Currently I am living on my savings only that are vanishing quickly as Landlord asked for 3 months advance rent due to my unemployment and also Au$ 1820 RTBA Bond.
5 - I have never applied for any centerlink payment.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Fred, F.

Last edited by old.sparkles; Jan 17th 2014 at 3:15 pm. Reason: Info not necessary
Old Jan 17th 2014, 3:18 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guidance on Centerlink Payments, Please

Originally Posted by f4fred
Hi BE Mates,

Well, forgive me if posted this to a wrong forum but I had no better choice. I shifted permanently to Melbourne and have obtained a rental flat situated at <snip>. Its an expensive one (at least for me; Au$ 420 per week). I was thinking if I was eligible for any centerlink payment. Any guidance / advice would be appreciated. My brief situation is given below:

1 - I validated my visa in Oct 2012 and moved back in around two weeks.
2 - Currently I have no job as its just few days I moved in permanently.
3 - I have one 4 year kid and we are expecting our next kid in this april.
4 - Currently I am living on my savings only that are vanishing quickly as Landlord asked for 3 months advance rent due to my unemployment and also Au$ 1820 RTBA Bond.
5 - I have never applied for any centerlink payment.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Fred, F.
Hi Fred,

I'm not up on benefits but if you may be able to claim family tax and child benefits. Have a look here - http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...from=theme-bar
Old Jan 17th 2014, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

If you are eligible for,the above mentioned benefits, then you may also be able to claim rent assistance too. Ring up Centrelink or pop into a local office and speak to someone x
Old Jan 18th 2014, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

Dennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to all

When we went to Centrelink to register for Medicare Card they told us if we were renting we were entitled to some rent assistance, I told them I thought we weren't entitled to anything for 2 years, They called me later that evening and told me to bring in my rental contract we got rental assistance more than half of our rent. In hind sight I wish we had continued to rent
Old Jan 18th 2014, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

AFAIK, child payments and rent assistance, ask a Kiwi
Old Jan 19th 2014, 7:28 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

You are likely to be eligible for some help including child and housing payments and a Medicare concession card. Go and see them at Centrelink.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

f4fred is on a distinguished road

Thanks Everyone!

I saw somewhere on Centerlink website that one could claim family tax benefit if they remained outside the Australia less than three years. Actually, I had validated my visa and and went back within few days and then came permanently after around 14 months, so I wanted to claim allowable benefits for past 14 month, if any.

I booked and appointed with nearby Centerlink office and met an officer there but she was not aware about the correction legal position on this.

Does any one know?

Please help.

Regards,
Fred, F.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 5:48 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by f4fred
Thanks Everyone!

I saw somewhere on Centerlink website that one could claim family tax benefit if they remained outside the Australia less than three years. Actually, I had validated my visa and and went back within few days and then came permanently after around 14 months, so I wanted to claim allowable benefits for past 14 month, if any.

I booked and appointed with nearby Centerlink office and met an officer there but she was not aware about the correction legal position on this.

Does any one know?

Please help.

Regards,
Fred, F.
I may be misreading your question, but are you actually saying that although you had only spent a few days in the country before leaving again, you now want to make a backdated claim for the 14 months that you were living somewhere else?

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 20th 2014 at 5:53 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

TimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of light

I hope its true, that way i can claim unemployment benefit for last 10 years from DHSS.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 8:15 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Well if he's legally entitled to it why shouldn't he have it?
Old Feb 20th 2014, 10:22 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

When considering your claim Centrelink will consider if you were previously LIVING in Australia prior to your arrival recently. They define living as -

"Living in Australia
You are living in Australia if Australia is your usual place of residence. That is, Australia is where you make your home.

When we are deciding whether you are living in Australia we will look at:

the nature of your accommodation, and
the nature and extent of your family relationships in Australia, and
the nature and extent of your employment, business or financial ties with Australia, and
the frequency and duration of your travel outside Australia, and
any other matter we think is relevant"

I would imagine (IMO) that a 2 week validation trip is not living in Australia and you will be unlikely to claim the 14 months of Family Tax Benefit.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...e-descriptions and
http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...-part-a-part-b
Old Feb 21st 2014, 1:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever you do don't let them over pay you. You'll start getting calls from a debt collection agency.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 5:57 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Whatever you do don't let them over pay you. You'll start getting calls from a debt collection agency.
That was my experience too.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
That was my experience too.
Yep, so bizarre.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 2:28 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldchoccycoin
When considering your claim Centrelink will consider if you were previously LIVING in Australia prior to your arrival recently. They define living as -

"Living in Australia
You are living in Australia if Australia is your usual place of residence. That is, Australia is where you make your home.

When we are deciding whether you are living in Australia we will look at:

the nature of your accommodation, and
the nature and extent of your family relationships in Australia, and
the nature and extent of your employment, business or financial ties with Australia, and
the frequency and duration of your travel outside Australia, and
any other matter we think is relevant"

I would imagine (IMO) that a 2 week validation trip is not living in Australia and you will be unlikely to claim the 14 months of Family Tax Benefit.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...e-descriptions and
http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...-part-a-part-b

Originally Posted by paulry
Well if he's legally entitled to it why shouldn't he have it?
And that is why legally he shouldn't have it.

Morally, well.......everyone will have apersonal view on that, mine is that I could not honestly expect a country in which I had never lived, and to which I had neer contributed anything whatsoever, to pay me welfare/social security whatever you call it. I even spent my first few years in Aus feeling guilty for just using Medicare a couple of times until I had paid a reasonable amount of tax and contributed something to the place.

Still, each to their own.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.