Reload this Page >

GST and Container

GST and Container

Old Apr 15th 2009, 7:38 am
Just Joined

hootcootawe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GST and Container

Hi all

We are just about to book our container to ship out our worldy goods to Oz and I have a question about GST.

There will be some electrical items in our container which are not 12 months old, 37 LCD, Blu Ray player and surround speakers, some golf clubs.

After reading up on the import process, I know that I may be liable for 10% GST on these items?

I have to fill out a B534 form for customs which details any items I have bought within last 12 months with an estimated oz value.

Few questions if anyone could help:-

Is there any way I can swerve this, i.e. how stringent are they are on checking the receipts? Model numbers?

For the aussie value, do I just double what I paid for it in in the UK or do I have to find that equivalent in Oz?

Do they take into account devaluation? i.e. a TV i bought 10 months ago isnt going to be the same value as it is new?

Does anyone know what I do if I do not possess any receipts?

Lastly, if I bought a camera recently and it wasnt in my container and in my hand luggage, does it still need to be declared?

Hope this isnt too much.

Many thanks

Hoot
Old Apr 15th 2009, 8:27 am
Just Joined

jaydt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: GST and Container

Dont bother I Bought over £30000 worth of brand new AV equipment , no one checked , also bought over my D200 and 2 month old D300 in the hand luggage no bother . I did ask the packers about declaring the items in the container they looked at me as though I was on a different Planet.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 9:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaydt
Dont bother I Bought over £30000 worth of brand new AV equipment , no one checked , also bought over my D200 and 2 month old D300 in the hand luggage no bother . I did ask the packers about declaring the items in the container they looked at me as though I was on a different Planet.
Its very very unusual for them to be interested in importa of personal effects for GST reasons - they are looking for people importing stuff for sale. So if you bring in 25 tvs they may get a bit suspicious, but one or two won't get a second look. As for obvious personal possessions like clothes cds etc, not even worth declaring as being under 12 months old
Old Apr 15th 2009, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Hi Jaydt

Nice cameras! (only have an Panny FX550 and a HS100, dont know why I was worried lol)

Did the shippers even ask you to fill out a B534 form?

Who did you use if you dont mind me asking?

Thanks

Hoot
Old Apr 15th 2009, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its very very unusual for them to be interested in importa of personal effects for GST reasons - they are looking for people importing stuff for sale. So if you bring in 25 tvs they may get a bit suspicious, but one or two won't get a second look. As for obvious personal possessions like clothes cds etc, not even worth declaring as being under 12 months old
Hi Pollyanna

We will try and make one of your Brissy get togethers when we get there.

We are only taking 5 TVs, 3 Beds, golf clubs, settees, Bed furniture, Computers, 3 laptops etc.

Might be worrying over nothing.

Thanks

Old Apr 15th 2009, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Think we did B534 form as we sent our container 2 months ahead of us and paid extra for storage Oz end . we used ************** .
Old Apr 15th 2009, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Anglo
Old Apr 15th 2009, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Anglo
thanks, will take a look