Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Grrrr.....London

Grrrr.....London

Old Nov 6th 2003, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Jase the ace is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Grrrr.....London

I live exactly 65 miles from London on the Kent coast and had to take my Daughter to the hairdressers(don't ask) in the centre of London just off Regents Street.
It took 3 hours to get there, £9 to park for an hour and a half, £5 congestion charge (another tax) and then a further 4 hours to get out again and home
Is there? and where? in NZ or OZ would you have the same sort of journeys and hassle with parking etc.

I do not know how people commute every day to London they must be mad
jase
Old Nov 6th 2003, 8:01 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Grrrr.....London

Originally posted by Jase the ace
I live exactly 65 miles from London on the Kent coast and had to take my Daughter to the hairdressers(don't ask) in the centre of London just off Regents Street.
It took 3 hours to get there, £9 to park for an hour and a half, £5 congestion charge (another tax) and then a further 4 hours to get out again and home
Is there? and where? in NZ or OZ would you have the same sort of journeys and hassle with parking etc.

I do not know how people commute every day to London they must be mad
jase
Shoulda taken her on the train, Jase! That's how I used to commute into London each day from Oxford area. 1.5 - 2 hours tops. (Unless there's a leaf, of the wrong sort, on the line!) Now I drive 32 kilometres into the heart of Sydney during 'rush' hour each (work)day and it takes 30-40 minutes, and Sydney's probably the worst for rush hour traffic.

Come out here, mate - you'll never have to deal with London traffic again!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Train too expensive DUP, I know what your saying though probably quicker and less stressful, as long as you dont have to stand all the way
With petrol, food, parking and congestion charge its still cheaper than the train. As long as time not money

Jase
Old Nov 6th 2003, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough
Default Round and Round we go

Drove aroung the centre of Sydney for nearly an hour trying to reach the Holiday Inn, we could see it but just could not get to it by car - No right trun after No right turn. At one stage we had a head on standoff with a tram 'okay not this way'. By some fluke we got lost and found ourselves there.

I did have a street map but it gave no indication of No right turns!!

Anyone else had this problem in Sydney??
Old Nov 6th 2003, 8:18 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Round and Round we go

Originally posted by scotvness
Drove aroung the centre of Sydney for nearly an hour trying to reach the Holiday Inn, we could see it but just could not get to it by car - No right trun after No right turn. At one stage we had a head on standoff with a tram 'okay not this way'. By some fluke we got lost and found ourselves there.

I did have a street map but it gave no indication of No right turns!!

Anyone else had this problem in Sydney??
Nope! (Sorry! That doesn't help at all, does it?) The idea seems to be left, left, left to get the same as a right. I think the 2004 maps have 'no right turns' and what have you.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

It can take 50 mins or more to get into the Melbourne CBD by car from where I live (9kms) in rush hour (crossing over Hoddle St is the problem). Some places have early bird parking ($12 all day - but if you exit before 4pm it can be $25). If you're going in as shopper, the shopper's car parks are extortionate - the one underneath Mebourne Central is $12 for the first hour, then about $7 per hour after that.

I used to cycle to work and could do the 9km journey door to door in 22mins. No parking fees, no sitting in traffic. (Of course that was no good when I needed to buy a new set of saucepans or a doona!)
Old Nov 6th 2003, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

DOONA .... Hidden please explain
Jase
Old Nov 6th 2003, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jase the ace
DOONA .... Hidden please explain
Jase
ah, this will be a new item for your vocabulary. Perhaps I should start a new thread!

A doona is a duvet - Aussies wouldn't have a clue what a duvet is. Also, when you need to buy a cover for your doona you head to Manchester. 'Manchester' is the general term for bedding, and textiles.