Growing Veg

Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:01 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Growing Veg

Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
Yep, our soil is predominantly sand. When I put plants in the ground, I build a little circular wall of sand up around them at the bottom, then cover the area with a thick layer of mulch, we were advised to do this by a garden expert at a property planning workshop (well worth going on, held regularly throughout Perth and Peel/Mandurah region). This way the water doesn't just trickle away along the sand, it's directed downwards into the roots (think about building a moat around a sandcastle like you did as a kid!). One big advantage of the sand, it makes the weeds easy to pull up and makes digging generally a doddle.
Fantastic. That's very helpful.

Buzzy
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackass View Post
Jesus Christ!!!!! when you said you were in bunnings, i thought you were buying a packet of seeds mate!!!!
4 packets of seeds and the rest seedlings - I'm an impatient buggar!

Next time you come over, we'll have homegrown roast veggies hopefully! With the rain we're having, should be no probs!

No plain plates of mince in this house!!! PMSL!!!
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:33 am

jackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nice

Originally Posted by steandleigh View Post
4 packets of seeds and the rest seedlings - I'm an impatient buggar!

Next time you come over, we'll have homegrown roast veggies hopefully! With the rain we're having, should be no probs!

No plain plates of mince in this house!!! PMSL!!!
oh yummy - i love roast veggies
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

oh yummy - i love roast veggies
Ya sook! Changed my mind - I'll do ya roast veggies if you do my assignments!!! Bargain of the century...NOT!!!
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Please be careful when using the netting-it kills so many animals such as flying foxes etc. Try and use brightly coloured if you can.

Originally Posted by steve`o View Post
because of the warm climate its easier in some respects harder in others

stuff grows a lot quicker and you can grow some veggies all year round
however insects are a pain and if you have fruit trees you also have to guard against parrots bats and possums ( so netting or covering the tree is the only solution )
you may have seen bannana trees with great big plastic bags over the fruit
Old Jan 13th 2008, 10:19 am

jackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nice

Originally Posted by steandleigh View Post
Ya sook! Changed my mind - I'll do ya roast veggies if you do my assignments!!! Bargain of the century...NOT!!!
You want ME to do YOUR assignments mate!! i think i know what youre doing with your veggies mate - home brew! either that, or youve been up the hills making a purchase
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by melaniee View Post
Please be careful when using the netting-it kills so many animals such as flying foxes etc. Try and use brightly coloured if you can.
I didn't know that about the netting.

Another problem folk might not realize, is how toxic the slug pellets are. They are attractive to mammals too, and even if fenced off, birds will eat the dead slugs and be poisoned.

Does anyone have more organic tips? White oil is supposed to be organic. We sprayed it on our bush lemon which is badly affected by a grub which makes the stems swell then die back. Too soon to know if it works yet.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 11:31 pm
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

For organic growing tips etc i would highly recommend the following magazines:

Grass Roots
Earth Garden
Warm Earth Organic gardening

If you're lucky your local library will carry copies so you don't have to get your own subscription. These mags are focused on alternative living / sustainable living / permaculture / organic gardening etc and are just brilliant. I subscribe to grass roots and my sister to eaerth garden so we can swap.

The ABC also produces a mag called Organic Gardening but it is full of advertorial and not a lot of really useful information, so skip it unless you're a big Peter Cundall fan. You can get info from the ABC site as well.

Some other useful sites are:

Backyard organic gardening
Green harvest (mainly a shop but some useful hints on pest control)
Aussies living simply (forums etc)
Permaculture in Australia
Brisbane organic growers
Old Jan 14th 2008, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

You want ME to do YOUR assignments mate!! i think i know what youre doing with your veggies mate - home brew! either that, or youve been up the hills making a purchase
I don't already have enough time in the day already!!! - up the hill to make a purchase and the kids would be growing the veggies!

Last edited by steandleigh; Jan 14th 2008 at 9:03 am. Reason: spelling...